• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Marce

John Thornett (49)
So...

The Skelton's career as captain is over
The Ben Donaldson career at fullback is over
The Wallabies career of Richie Arnold is over

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Joe Schmidt would be the best available pick up with experience for the Wallabies right now.

O'Gara has a get out clause for international jobs, but doubt he would want to rebuild the Wallabies if he just turned down doing the same with England.
Joe Schmidt as head coach and O'Gara as attacking coach would be fantastic

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
cometh the hour, cometh the man

Welcome back mini bus

1698593841919.png

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Joe Schmidt as head coach and O'Gara as attacking coach would be fantastic
Either would be great but I feel like Schmidt is out of head coach assignments?
What a cluster.
i love Hamish saying it proves the system is broken. Sacked cheika and he gets to a semi…..fails to mention that he sacked rennie.
Seems like Jones was always telling the truth that he was gone after this World Cup.
Sorry but what a prick. “I gave it a go” no you actually didn’t really

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Doran is reporting McKellar has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave the Tigers job for the Wallabies, and that he wants the job

Realistically it's either McKellar or Larkham

Yoda

Billy Sheehan (19)
Doran is reporting McKellar has a clause in his contract that allows him to leave the Tigers job for the Wallabies, and that he wants the job

Realistically it's either McKellar or Larkham
Whoever coaches still doesn’t address the big issue. Players don’t play enough. More game time is needed for players to improve their skills. Franchises need to be aligned with the National coach and not just be totally focused on winning some Mickey Mouse so called Super Rugby competition. To do that everyone has to trust Rugby Australia…. Are you listening Hamish? I think Eddie saw that nothing on that front was going to change so he wasn’t able to improve things…. In his eyes at least.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
To me turning down England means he's likely only interested in coaching Ireland at test level.

Will never be considered for RSA, France or NZ who don't do outsiders.

Wales and Scotland are less desirable jobs with less resources; Australia falls in this bucket as well, maybe a bit different as its a challenge outside the home nations 'bubble'.
Only benefit Aus has over Wales & Scotland right now is the Lions and a Home World Cup even though that’s a lot of pressure.

What do we think a contract would look like?

2 years through to the Lions and then extend for another 2 through to end of the WC if things are going well and some targets met? Worst case scenario we have to be able to give yet another coach 2 years into the WC.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Whoever coaches still doesn’t address the big issue. Players don’t play enough. More game time is needed for players to improve their skills. Franchises need to be aligned with the National coach and not just be totally focused on winning some Mickey Mouse so called Super Rugby competition. To do that everyone has to trust Rugby Australia…. Are you listening Hamish? I think Eddie saw that nothing on that front was going to change so he wasn’t able to improve things…. In his eyes at least.
This is a separate issue, and is being used by failing coaches as an excuse for their poor job

Welsh Rugby is an utter shambles, yet they can still win 6 nations and grand slams. Why can’t our national team come together and and be greater than the sun of our parts?

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
Only benefit Aus has over Wales & Scotland right now is the Lions and a Home World Cup even though that’s a lot of pressure.

What do we think a contract would look like?

2 years through to the Lions and then extend for another 2 through to end of the WC if things are going well and some targets met? Worst case scenario we have to be able to give yet another coach 2 years into the WC.
Hmmm....6 years, no get out clauses, no non compete clauses.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
This is a separate issue, and is being used by failing coaches as an excuse for their poor job

Welsh Rugby is an utter shambles, yet they can still win 6 nations and grand slams. Why can’t our national team come together and and be greater than the sun of our parts?
And Scotland have come up with a plan and a way to remain competitive even though their youth sides are genuinely tier 2 and even that's generous. Although I think this may make it's way up if the ability for players to change nations becomes stricter.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Have I got this right? One of reasons Eddie gave was the fact that RA didn't get the PE money, or was there some other private money he was talking about.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I'd like to see RA appoint someone who has experience in a centralised system, to soothe fevered brows through the transition to that type of system here. Perhaps as a Director of Rugby, allowing the Wallabies coach to be a separate role and potentially someone with a little less experience - maybe even an Australian.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Have I got this right? One of reasons Eddie gave was the fact that Rugby Australia didn't get the private equity money, or was there some other private money he was talking about.
No, you read that right, that's the private equity money he's talking about. Apparently part of his contract was built around Australia getting private equity money and centralising/aligning high performance. I'm not sure the money was a specific requirement in and of itself though, or just seen as necessary to meet the other targets around centralisation.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd like to see Rugby Australia appoint someone who has experience in a centralised system, to soothe fevered brows through the transition to that type of system here. Perhaps as a Director of Rugby, allowing the Wallabies coach to be a separate role and potentially someone with a little less experience - maybe even an Australian.

Surely we need a back to basics approach here.

Don't bother appointing a coach who needs oversight from a DoR.