• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It was…

And I doubt it was responsible for harming the Wallabies’ brand in the eyes of most people.

But that’s another story…
thanks for editing my post in your reply. And I'm OK with you being the person that doubts it...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I’m ok with it too…

I wouldn’t want to be dealing in “News truths.”

Anyways, I don’t think Folau is going to be coaching the Wallabies anytime soon.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I dislike the MSM propoganda as much as you Slim. Both sides.

PS nice deflection with the newly inserted last line. However, I'm happy to leave it there too, I agree it's now not that relevant to the conversation, however my initial post was as it was about the need to exercise caution when potentially sacking someone (Eddie) without forensically examining the consequences.

Last edited:

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
FWIW, I don’t expect (or want) the Wallaby coach to ‘fix’ Australian rugby, or even be responsible for it.
I just want a coach who will:
a) get the best out of the available, pickable talent
b) help us win the games we should win without expecting to get us a No.1 ranking (I’d
like to be consistently Top 5)
c) have tactics that are appropriate to the game to be played that day (rather than a ‘style’) and communicate those to his captain
d) make selections that make sense most of the time
e) not blame the ref for the losses
f) not say ‘mate’ all the time like some bogan fuckwit

simples…
So in other words you're saying "bring back Link" :D

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Must have been a good one to justify the $8m payout he got for it. We all know the ethics behind it, but contractually it clearly seemed to be not a very good reason at all. I don't know the numbers behind the QANTAS sponsorship at the time, but I doubt that the position taken by Castle and Joyce, in contradiction to the rehabilitation plan for Folau that the rest of the board and Cheika had agreed on, financially justified the decision, especially considering the damage it did to the Wallabies brand in the aftermath, and their performance on the field. The far better approach would have been to adopt the plan accepted by the board and then not selected him until he warranted it. The point being that in any decision like this the contractual obligations and repercussions need to be examined with a fine tooth comb.
Firing folau was a terrible decision.

young gun

Fred Wood (13)
I think it’s:

Deans
Cheika
Foster

from the current available options. Outside them it’s picking up a provincial coach. Larkham is the most obvious of those. However there are probably some NH candidates. It’s likely to be the least worst option. That could be Robbie Deans.
Deans is quoted as saying, just in the last month, "they can ring, but my phones not turned on.' Got that first hand from the person he said it to.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Cheika being linked a job in the NRL with the Tigers today.

I don’t think he’s the Wallabies solution anyway. We need a coach who can implement a structure and culture that will be solidified over several years. Something that can be handed to the next coach down the track and be easily replicated.

Cheika’s style has its place, he clearly knows how to push the right buttons of his teams and get results, but I think that only works for a limited time and is more around mentality than stability.

Doritos Day

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Cheika being linked a job in the NRL with the Tigers today.

I don’t think he’s the Wallabies solution anyway. We need a coach who can implement a structure and culture that will be solidified over several years. Something that can be handed to the next coach down the track and be easily replicated.

Cheika’s style has its place, he clearly knows how to push the right buttons of his teams and get results, but I think that only works for a limited time and is more around mentality than stability.
Cheika will 100% coach the Wallabies again - whether this is a good or bad thing I don't know - but now is way too soon.

He would be the perfect State of Origin coach. Not much technical detail required, just rev the guys up for 6 weeks.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Cheika will 100% coach the Wallabies again - whether this is a good or bad thing I don't know - but now is way too soon.

He would be the perfect State of Origin coach. Not much technical detail required, just rev the guys up for 6 weeks.

No way that ship has sailed Cheika is 56, but for some reason people saying Larkam's too inexperienced yet he's 49 & has been coaching professionally for over a decade now so if not now when?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Bernie seems like the only logical choice at present, in terms of who is currently available or could be persuaded to be so.

Any other candidates?

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)

Wrong. I am not a fan of the other code, but there is no doubt that Billy Slater is one of the best coaches around. And apparently there is a lot of technical detail supporting his success.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What a baffling nine months. Surely a death knell for McLennan also. I've always liked Eddie, was disappointed in this year but was happy to see it through still rate him. This really sours my opinion of him.

Seems like he has resigned so no payout at least.

ROG please. Coach with winning experience. Other options I wouldn't mind are one of the Saffas, maybe Johan Ackermann if he doesn't go to the Boks or Mzwandile Stick. Stuart Lancaster has done some outstanding work at Leinster. Would much prefer to hire from the NH, its where most of the best coaches are these days.

Let's go outside our 5 average to poor provinces and pool of former coaches. Bernie if it must be one of those but I don't see why it has to be. I can't take anyone who suggests Rennie or Cheika seriously.

Last edited: