• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Rugby Australia needs a Frank Lowy to do what he did for Australian Football. Bring all the stakeholders together, TELL them what is going to happen, how it's going to happen and time frame it's going to happen ( we know this cause the Brit Lions and next WC ) and get rid of who ever does not want to do it. Basically a Dictatorship with professional people around him. Centralisation, Pyramid style.
One person is Mr Forrest of the mining profession. Has lots of monay, lots of govt influence and lots of time now that he is divorced ( may need a hobbie). He needs to get the right people ( business as well as ex players ), formulate a model for clubs, super rugby and Aus team etc and choose a coach. Coach should be from a recently, successful nation ie. Ireland, SA or NZ. Hopefully they can influence some young Aus coaches to take over like Guss did with Arnie etc.
Which other Super rich people would blow their load on Australian Rugby? Do you think Gina Rinehart would like to?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The more i think if it. Jake White should be a top option. Reading his Wikipedia, he was pushed out of South African rugby due to politics. But as a coach , he was excellent.

I agree.

The wallabies are in a similar position to what the Brumbies were when he took over. He brought in a clear structure, which still forms the foundation of the Brumbies game plan to this day. He also got the most out of developing players such as To'omua or Lealifano. He understands Test rugby and has little room for bias - for example he was the first to say Jessie Mogg wasn't ready for Test rugby yet despite being his star super rugby fullback at the time, and he was clearly right.

He gets a lot of hate given that gameplan was built around "boring rugby" involving solid defense, mauls, and kicking for territory - but this is exactly what is needed at Test level.

The Brumbies did score some beautiful set-piece tries too.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Mckellar concerns me a bit, as does Larkham. Both were less then inspiring with brumbies. (who gives AF about winning SRau), both were wallaby assistants in periods where their portfolios struggled, and both haven;t reportedly set the world on fire in the UK. Is it sentiment driving their viability for the role?

I agree. I feel like both need to prove themselves by winning something this year or next. They now have the experience and position to do so, as both are in head coach positions in solid teams.

Also, if I were a coach ideally, it would be better to wait 2 years or so to see what the environment in Rugby Australia looks like, given the absolute mess it is in. So the timing would work out for either of them. Let some other coach deal with the mess and develop the players the next 2 years then come in and reap the rewards.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Penriff_boy,

There must be someone in Australia ( man or woman ) who is super rich and passionate ( that's hard to be at the moment but Aust Football was very low before 2005 not qualifying for WC since 1974 ) and willing to drove the ARU bus to the next home WC. Gina would be good, Willing to put money into netball and swimming and many other things, ARU is for men and women. Why Not ?

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
Penriff_boy,

There must be someone in Australia ( man or woman ) who is super rich and passionate ( that's hard to be at the moment but Aust Football was very low before 2005 not qualifying for WC since 1974 ) and willing to drove the ARU bus to the next home WC. Gina would be good, Willing to put money into netball and swimming and many other things, ARU is for men and women. Why Not ?
Which super rich people live Rugby? Surely there must be some out there.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I agree.

The wallabies are in a similar position to what the Brumbies were when he took over. He brought in a clear structure, which still forms the foundation of the Brumbies game plan to this day. He also got the most out of developing players such as To'omua or Lealifano. He understands Test rugby and has little room for bias - for example he was the first to say Jessie Mogg wasn't ready for Test rugby yet despite being his star super rugby fullback at the time, and he was clearly right.

He gets a lot of hate given that gameplan was built around "boring rugby" involving solid defense, mauls, and kicking for territory - but this is exactly what is needed at Test level.

The Brumbies did score some beautiful set-piece tries too.
The one big thing that I thought was good about White’s time at the Brumbies was that he seemed to understand the importance of local rugby and keeping the Brumbies connected with the community.

IIRC, every Brumby player HAD to be connected with a local club and there may have even been expectations about how much involvement players had there.

If rugby in Australia needs anything right now, it needs to be based and connected to the people. Communities and local clubs need to feel that success in Super Rugby or the Wallabies is a direct effect of the relationship between ‘grassroots’ and the elite.

It’s not even a marketing ploy or anything. It’s just the honest truth….rugby needs the people.
Summer Cocktail Festival Buy 1 Get 2 Sand Tropical Instagram Story.png

The Great Dissenter

Frank Nicholson (4)
Which other Super rich people would blow their load on Australian Rugby? Do you think Gina Rinehart would like to?
Gina hasn't had a good run at it lately with Netball and Swimming. Somebody with a proven track-record of investing in Sport, puts Australia first and has the requisite profile. Yes, I think we all know who is required here:
1698631444227.png

Picture3.jpg

Last edited:

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
I think Jake White is the pick of available coaches who might be interested.

I also think we need to scrap the ‘Giteau Law’ and let him pick who he wants from anywhere.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I beg your pardon? Perhaps if I circulate some of the great man's poetry you will recall (extract from his verified Twitter account):

View attachment 17828

The bloke doesn't pay his legal fees, what makes you think he'll pony up any money.

If Palmer was to ever get involved with RA, I'm not sure what would last longer, his Gastric Sleeve or Rugby in Australia.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Mckellar concerns me a bit, as does Larkham. Both were less then inspiring with brumbies. (who gives AF about winning SRau), both were wallaby assistants in periods where their portfolios struggled, and both haven;t reportedly set the world on fire in the UK. Is it sentiment driving their viability for the role?
Bit premature with that comment iro McKellar UTR? How many games has he been involved in at Leicester (that's where he is, isn't it?)?

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Bit premature with that comment iro McKellar UTR? How many games has he been involved in at Leicester (that's where he is, isn't it?)?
3 premiership games for 2 losses and a win I think. Looks like he's sticking with what's worked in the past: