• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
3 premiership games for 2 losses and a win I think. Looks like he's sticking with what's worked in the past:

Premiership is hard to read atm, too many players missing & with eng going so deep I dont think we will get a real idea on it for about 6 weeks.

The Great Dissenter

Frank Nicholson (4)
Didn’t Allan Bond bank roll the Americas cup win, maybe we should ask him see if he will support us
Now we're talking. In reality, the Chair of RA has known the Murdoch family for decades and may be able to procure their involvement. There is the problem of him overseeing the proverbial 'torching' of a few hundred million of Murdoch's in the Channel 10 saga. But let's not reflect upon that, obviously RA did not when appointing Hammer.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
The problem I see with us going for Jake White is the same problem we had with Rennie, not the coach but the commentariat - The old boys union will start ranting about "The Australian Way" of playing rugby and how boring the game is.

The same thing happened when White coached the Brumbies, he turned the team around and introduced a new (successful) game plan.

What we need (I think) is an administration that makes an intelligent choice of coach who actually has a plan and is then ready to stick by them while that plan is implemented.

What we have seen in the last 12 months has not been that

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The problem I see with us going for Jake White is the same problem we had with Rennie, not the coach but the commentariat - The old boys union will start ranting about "The Australian Way" of playing rugby and how boring the game is.

The same thing happened when White coached the Brumbies, he turned the team around and introduced a new (successful) game plan.

What we need (I think) is an administration that makes an intelligent choice of coach who actually has a plan and is then ready to stick by them while that plan is implemented.

Correct entirely. One of the great ironies of our former greats who love to harp on about the wallaby way is they forget what bought them success. As I recall, the 1999 World Cup win was built around a staunch defensive team who didn't concede a try all tournament. But hey, Mark, Glen and Gary made the ball sing way back when so we should just do that. Forgetting also that we saw a Wallaby coach very recently try and never kick the ball, run it from everywhere and we know where it gets us - a sorry QF exit in the 2019 World Cup.

Not helped by crap old pundits like Spiro who are completely out of touch with the modern game. People who criticise the double WC winning springboks as a "crime to rugby". Heaven forbid we play to our strengths and actually try to win a game. Drives me up the wall.

Its like they also forget our one franchise with a modicum of strength is built around a set-piece game (Brums) and the 7 in a row Crusaders have mauled their way to most of their victories.

Last edited:

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)

Yes and not just a coach on his own but we need a quality "coaching team". It seems like different coaches come with different assistants depending on who their buddies are. Probably another stuff up by RugbyAU in letting Eddie pick all his own rugby league mates. McKellar seems to have a tick in this box if he comes with Fisher and Palmer. Friend possibly the same.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
So who are the candidates
Australian
cheika
Larkham
Mckeller
Friend

international
Ronan
Jake white
Rassie
Deans
Crowley
Stuart Lancaster?
Gatland
Joseph

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So who are the candidates
Australian
cheika
Larkham
Mckeller
Friend

international
Ronan
Jake white
Rassie
Deans
Crowley
Stuart Lancaster?
Gatland
Joseph

Shaun Edwards was seen as unlucky not get the Welsh job, is he going around again with France?
O'gara would he leave La rochelle?
Ludeke would RA ever consider completely playing that style?
Kefu ???

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Now we're talking. In reality, the Chair of Rugby Australia has known the Murdoch family for decades and may be able to procure their involvement. There is the problem of him overseeing the proverbial 'torching' of a few hundred million of Murdoch's in the Channel 10 saga. But let's not reflect upon that, obviously Rugby Australia did not when appointing Hammer.

The Murdochs pumped money into league. Why would they support our code? What is in it for them?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Shaun Edwards was seen as unlucky not get the Welsh job, is he going around again with France?
O'gara would he leave La rochelle?
Ludeke would Rugby Australia ever consider completely playing that style?
Kefu ???
We have had the change agent, I think we will have a safe, conservative choice Aus option

I'm not sure why a top tier foreign option would be interested and the next level mercenary will be considered not of standard from the start

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
We have had the change agent, I think we will have a safe, conservative choice Aus option

I'm not sure why a top tier foreign option would be interested and the next level mercenary will be considered not of standard from the start

Why do we need a safe aus option, dont we want the best person for the job? If its Larkham so be it if its Joe Schmidt then get him just get the best person

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
I know its early days for Mr McKellar at Leicester and a lot of stars have been missing in action due to world cup duties, however he has not set the world on fire there yet.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 131706.png