• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
Some observations/questions;

1. Does the head coach have to be an Australian?
2. What does success look like over the next 2-4 years?
3. Does Australia have the talent/player pool?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I know its early days for Mr McKellar at Leicester and a lot of stars have been missing in action due to world cup duties, however he has not set the world on fire there yet.

View attachment 17833
It's way too early to judge, even if the season wasn't affected by the world cup four games is nowhere near enough time to make an assessment of a coach, particularly not one coming into a setup that has just been gutted by the national program.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
All we can say is thank god for that, he wanted to stay a week ago so obvious the board said go or be sacked so he left
- 2/9 record (22%) worst wallabies Coach
- 0/7 tier 1 nations - record since 1995
- 30 points conceded per game (worst ever)
- 6 captains in 9 tests
- last place in rugby champs (1st time ever)
- largest loss to SA since 2008

and then the RWC
- 1st wallabies team to never get to the finals
- 1st loss to Fiji
- largest loss to wales
- 2 massive wins against powerhouse rugby nations Portugal and Georgia
- worst ranking of 10th in the world

wow he certainly set some records, only thing all ones you don’t want! Was there actually anything good he achieved? Only had to look at the 2 sides in the final who were the most (Experienced) sides in the RWC
It’s actually laughable how far backwards he took the side

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
All we can say is thank god for that, he wanted to stay a week ago so obvious the board said go or be sacked so he left
- 6 captains in 9 tests

and then the RWC
- 1st loss to Fiji
- largest loss to wales

wow he certainly set some records, only thing all ones you don’t want! Was there actually anything good he achieved? Only had to look at the 2 sides in the final who were the most (Experienced) sides in the RWC
Not sure he could have blown it up more if he tried!

Penriff_boy

Billy Sheehan (19)
- 6 captains in 9 tests

and then the RWC
- 1st loss to Fiji
- largest loss to wales

Nothing good came out of having this clown.

Kevin77

Fred Wood (13)
The appointment of Jones is an unmitigated disaster.

It was the most high stakes poker appointment that just got more and more bizarre as it went on. So many questions?

If Jones was playing the long game (ie. picking young guys for the future) why not see it through?

Blind Freddy knows that you need experience at a World Cup.
Jettisoning Hooper and Cooper (particularly given the alternatives) beggars belief.
Carter Gordon might make a fine 10 but he was thrown to the wolves.

Australia got handed such an easy route to a semi final and it's difficult to feel a steady coach (not even a world beater) could have just picked the best, most experienced 23 and had Australia in a semi.

The game is crying out for a platform (and luckily the Lions and 27 World Cup will give it that) but we all know that if that Wales group game was a winner you get the casual fans in who love a quarter final and then Australia win that and the whole country is on board for a semi.

Instead it's just a total farce which in some ways was reduced to just headlines thanks to most of the World Cup only being shown on Stan for the diehards

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
- 6 captains in 9 tests

and then the RWC
- 1st loss to Fiji
- largest loss to wales

I don't think it is. Considering the length of his contract and the fact that Rugby Australia probably wouldn't be able to pay him out, I don't think they were in any position to be able to issue an ultimatum such as that one. If he'd wanted to stay, he could have easily dug his heels in and there wouldn't have been much anyone could have done about it.

Either way, he's gone.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The game is crying out for a platform (and luckily the Lions and 27 World Cup will give it that) but we all know that if that Wales group game was a winner you get the casual fans in who love a quarter final and then Australia win that and the whole country is on board for a semi.

I'm not sure it's lucky we have a Lions and RWC coming up. What happens when no-one shows up to these events? There is literally no momentum going into these games now. Rugby will officially die once we struggle to get crowds and probably lose money on both events.

I'm a die hard wallabies supporter and I'm more worried then excited about a Lion's tour. We will get an absolute hiding, an embarrassing one.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm not sure it's lucky we have a Lions and RWC coming up. What happens when no-one shows up to these events? There is literally no momentum going into these games now. Rugby will officially die once we struggle to get crowds and probably lose money on both events.

I'm a die hard wallabies supporter and I'm more worried then excited about a Lion's tour. We will get an absolute hiding, an embarrassing one.

There will still be full houses for the Lions game, just it will be 80% travelling support. That's probably better in regards to the money.

bullocks

Ward Prentice (10)
Kevin77

Agree.
Firstly, the APPOINTMENT of Jones was wrong. Who and by what process was he appointed ? Hamish to blame. As I've mentioned, Jones hood winked the ARU ( esp Hamish ) and got 5 YEARS for HIS VISION and the "smash and grab WC" campaign.
Then, Jones's decision to treat the WC as an experiment and a learning curve for young, inexperienced players backfired and has led to this debacle. If Jones was interested in FIXING Aus Rugby, he should continue to cioach these young players he has put faith in. NO, instead he jumps ship. Again, Hamish is to blame for poor judge of appointment.

As for Aust Coach, you pick the best available. As mentioned, go for the a coach from the top countries who hopefully implement the game plan and pathways needed to fix AR.

Otherwise, agree with Viking, the next couple of years are going to be tough to keep the interest and gate takings up.

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
It's way too early to judge, even if the season wasn't affected by the world cup four games is nowhere near enough time to make an assessment of a coach, particularly not one coming into a setup that has just been gutted by the national program.
If it's between the two of them you'd most definitely go for Larkam.

I used to rate McKellar more highly than Larkam as a coach but discovered that his tenure at the Brumbies coincided with Laurie Fisher's return from overseas. This is a huge factor and must be taken into account when assessing McKellar because Larkam only had Fisher on his staff in 2014, Fisher was overseas between the 2015-2017 seasons. Laurie came back the year McKellar took over (2018) and remained at the Brumbies for McKellar's entire tenure.

Both coaches had similar length stints 2014-2017, 2018-2022, and both had 60% winning records, Larkam was only 39 when he took over while McKellar was 43. McKellar had Laurie for assistant, Larkam did not. The logical conclusion is Larkam is probably the better coach.

Last edited:

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Richard Cockerill might be worth a shout. Bit risky in general, but would be available and with no qualms about running a bulldozer over the establishment.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Nothing
The problem I see with us going for Jake White is the same problem we had with Rennie, not the coach but the commentariat - The old boys union will start ranting about "The Australian Way" of playing rugby and how boring the game is.

The same thing happened when White coached the Brumbies, he turned the team around and introduced a new (successful) game plan.

What we need (I think) is an administration that makes an intelligent choice of coach who actually has a plan and is then ready to stick by them while that plan is implemented.

What we have seen in the last 12 months has not been that
huh? Rennie wasn’t sacked for any style issue, he was sack for losing rugby games

Jake White had a temper tantrum when McKenzie got the Wallabies job and ran away from the Brumbies because of it

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I know its early days for Mr McKellar at Leicester and a lot of stars have been missing in action due to world cup duties, however he has not set the world on fire there yet.

View attachment 17833
Weird take considering he just beat top of the table Bath that had Finn Russell playing and has only had 3 games

He is without 12 frontline starters including Handre Pollard, Julian Montoya, Jasper Wise

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Weird take considering he just beat top of the table Bath that had Finn Russell playing and has only had 3 games

He is without 12 frontline starters including Handre Pollard, Julian Montoya, Jasper Wise
I don't buy the Bath hype.

They were very very deservedly 8th last year, lucky to scrape ahead of Bristol on PD, and the Falcons and Cherry & Whites were both pretty darn woeful. Du Toit and Russell are also the only pick ups of note they've made.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I don't buy the Bath hype.

They were very very deservedly 8th last year, lucky to scrape ahead of Bristol on PD, and the Falcons and Cherry & Whites were both pretty darn woeful. Du Toit and Russell are also the only pick ups of note they've made.
Regardless, McKellar beating them without essentially his entire starting lineup is a good result

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Regardless, McKellar beating them without essentially his entire starting lineup is a good result
What has McKellar achieved without Laurie Fisher? apart from leading Canberra Vikings to bottom of the table in the NRC lol..

It's 5 years late for Jake White who really should've replaced Cheika after the 2017 Autumn tests, he's turning 60 this year, Larkam is the only candidate who should be considered.

Last edited:

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
DM aside I think sides are only going to be judged come may next yr. There is still a 6N to come with a lot of players missing games.

its going to be a season of just gotta scrape into the 4 & play your best rugby. It’s got Sarasens written all over it yuk

The Great Dissenter

Frank Nicholson (4)
It’s all very amicable with Eddie and I’ll always be grateful for him jumping in when he did,” McLennan told The Roar [Source: AFR, 30/10/23].
I sincerely hope that response is taken out of context; it otherwise doesn't display much self-reflection.