• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
But Barbs, how will we hang all our hopes and opprobrium on people if we don't have a single target?

More seriously, yes agreed. When we've been successful, we've had good coaches in the club and provincial set ups and a well aligned coaching team in the national side.

Bernie or McKellar, with Lord Laurie and others and a coordinated national approach from the Super franchises. There are no quick or easy fixes here, but I'm utterly convinced that with the young guys coming through that we can get significantly better than we are now.
Hypothetically, one of McKellar or Larkham get the top job and when the tests roll around he implements the Brumbies' play book and picks some of those who were mystifyingly left out by Jones. He says to the other Au sides that this is how they all have to play in order to align their approach to the game and to support the Wallabies who are now playing that style. Who is the first to blink? How much acceptance would there be among the fans on sites like this?

Why can't RA come clean and let us all know what they mean by unspecified terms like centralisation and alignment?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Hypothetically, one of McKellar or Larkham get the top job and when the tests roll around he implements the Brumbies' play book and picks some of those who were mystifyingly left out by Jones. He says to the other Au sides that this is how they all have to play in order to align their approach to the game and to support the Wallabies who are now playing that style. Who is the first to blink? How much acceptance would there be among the fans on sites like this?

Why can't Rugby Australia come clean and let us all know what they mean by unspecified terms like centralisation and alignment?

Biggest issue is probably player resourcing.

Brumbies, due to a bit of luck and even better decision making have excellent group of locks in Swain, Neville, Frost and Hooper who really help enable their style of play.

You couldn't reasonably expect the Tahs, whose lock division will probably consist of Hanigan, Holloway and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) to be capable of producing that type of game without additional resourcing.

From the rest, the Rebels are probably in an ok situation with Canham & LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto), but are still worse than 2023 with no Philip or Hosea, while the Reds and Force only really have Blyth and Rodda of note.

I'd be happy to decide that Brumbies style is the way to go for Aus rugby, but it requires a substantial change in how and which players get paid and retained.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
"I'd be happy to decide that Brumbies style is the way to go for Aus rugby, but it requires a substantial change in how and which players get paid and retained."

And that won't be an easy task, will it?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think we need an Australian coach, someone who understands the sporting landscape in Australia more broadly and what it takes to be successful now.

They don’t need to be a former player look at Chris Fagen never played AFL and was an administrator before he went into coaching.

He selected a very strong group of assistants who take care of most of the tactical stuff and he built a culture and environment that players want to be a part of and one that gets the best out of them

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I surprised Mick Byrne's name hasn't been thrown into the hat. He is genuinely a bloody good coach in my opinion, though maybe a skills coach? Have heard a couple of NZ players talking of his detail etc.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I surprised Mick Byrne's name hasn't been thrown into the hat. He is genuinely a bloody good coach in my opinion, though maybe a skills coach? Have heard a couple of NZ players talking of his detail etc.
Someone like him would be excellent. Their is a certain irony he is a kicking and skills coach but he holds the record at the Hawks for most behinds in a game without a goal kicking 0.8

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
As per @barbarian post….what is the ‘Brumby style’?

If it’s loosely described as forward-dominant game with everything played off your 9, isn’t that basically the SA or ENG style?

If that is the way the Wallabies want to play, they will need to get a hell of a lot better at it with better players than are currently in the Wallaby mix.

The ‘Brumby-style’ hasn’t even been all that effective in Super Rugby.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Brumbies have remained successful more than their style has been successful if that makes sense.

90s-early 2000s they had such good players that could play running rugby all over sides.

Jake White era was boring as fuck to watch but they won games.

Recently they have built depth and are the most consistent by a mile.

When they pick a style they recruit to it and stick to the plan better than any other Australian side.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Can someone tell me what the Brumbies style is? And how it differs from what we've generally been trying to do?
Whatever it is Barbs, you'll get any number of posters on here tell you how boring it is and how it is the end of rugby as we know it.