• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seems to lend credence to speculation around abysmal comms, senior players challenging ‘the vision’, and diabolical strategy decisions.

As someone else mentioned yesterday, one individual doesn’t make or break an organisation’s performance; however, in this instance, it seems like Supreme Leader Jones well and truly was the architect for failure. Should never have been allowed to happen, and should never happen again.

Ultimately it just seems to confirms all the worst things everyone assumed was happening...

- Prior to that press conference at Coogee where he told everyone that he was 100% committed maaaaaaaate, he had basically already indicated to players and RA that he wasn't sticking around.

- The board wasn't entirely sold on sacking Rennie, particularly Marino who later quit.

- McKellar, the only assistant Jones wanted to keep saw that Jones' support staff was going to be shit, and wasn't keen to stick around

- Jones held regular zoom calls with the leadership group throughout the year emphasising the importance of experience and leadership, and then after they lost a couple of games went for youth.

- Hooper regularly stood up for players and challenged Jones, and ultimately paid the price.

- Jones emphasised on a kicking heavy game plan, and then suddenly changed to a completely unstructured plan.

- Players who missed out on the RWC squad weren't contacted the night before the announcement, except for Hooper

- Players who did make the squad were contacted by the team's manager the night before, with one player, which has got to be Jorgensen, not having any hint beforehand he'd have to cancel his holiday plans to make a flight to Darwin the next day

- Jones appeared to indicate to the players at the World Cup that this one wasn't important because of 2027.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
Serious question- how long can Maclennan stick around? Another 4 weeks? The media aren’t going to let this go.
He'll weather this storm I reckon - the media aren't going that hard at him, as they're too busy rightfully dunking on Eddie. Next time it goes tits up could be another story, however

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)

Jones to take part in the review.

“I chose to take on a difficult job, a difficult job with certain conditions,” Jones said. “When those conditions haven’t been met, I’ve chosen not to continue with the job.
“If people want to blame me for everything, that’s OK. I can’t control that. The only thing I know is what I’ve done, and I’m happy with what I’ve done. I’m not happy with the results, but I’m happy with what I’ve done.”
- Quotes from EJ (Eddie Jones) in the article. At least someone's happy.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The game plan changes are the most interesting to me. Would love a whole article on that. Looked like we had no discernable plan, and sure enough it seems we didn't.

It's an odd contradiction to deliberately pick an inexperienced squad and then give them no structure in which to play. Surely that just sets them up to fail.

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
This is what Eddie said when he got fired by England. Sound familiar?

TLDR?

Eddie Jones believes the Rugby Football Union must take responsibility for the national side’s poor form, with the former England coach saying the governing body has failed to develop “quality players”.

“You’ve got an ageing team … They’re not producing quality players,” Jones told the BBC. “Everyone looks at the head coach, and wants to blame the head coach. But the onus on producing quality players is the RFU, and that hasn’t happened.
“When you’re not bringing talent through, you’ve got to look at why your talent development system’s not doing that … The system’s not right. Whenever you’ve got talent not coming through, and it was coming through … What needs to change? Where’s the gap? That’s the responsibility of the RFU, and it’s not for me to give them answers.”

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
And yet...

England...

England?

Yes, England...

TELEMMGLPICT000354642945_16984417852040_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq5F8BvRcRz7YLA_fPCZZmum903AAKT05jy-8KnkAky30.jpeg

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Squidge has done a couple of videos on it in depth. Theoretically (and currently, solely theoretically) its a good idea.
Personally I don't think it worked with English players because culturally they are a very un-thinking Rugby nation which is not good at playing eyes up footy. But there have been times with England and Australia (think opening to Bledisloe II) where it clicks and they absolutely tear their way up the pitch.

Its not really the absence of structure so much as it is adapting your structure in different phases of play to the picture the defense gives you. The obvious point is that its something that takes a lot of cohesion and comfortability with your teammates to get used to. As well as a lot of time on the training paddock. Which makes it all the more odd you would do it for a job you weren't fully committed to and picking a team that had played very little with each other.

There is also a certain irony/ego in the fact that Eddie has done more than any other coach in history to introduce structured & repetitive attacking patterns to rugby. And now wants to be the coach to unwind all of that and show a different path for the game.

Last edited:

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ultimately it just seems to confirms all the worst things everyone assumed was happening...

- Prior to that press conference at Coogee where he told everyone that he was 100% committed maaaaaaaate, he had basically already indicated to players and Rugby Australia that he wasn't sticking around.

- The board wasn't entirely sold on sacking Rennie, particularly Marino who later quit.

- McKellar, the only assistant Jones wanted to keep saw that Jones' support staff was going to be shit, and wasn't keen to stick around

- Jones held regular zoom calls with the leadership group throughout the year emphasising the importance of experience and leadership, and then after they lost a couple of games went for youth.

- Hooper regularly stood up for players and challenged Jones, and ultimately paid the price.

- Jones emphasised on a kicking heavy game plan, and then suddenly changed to a completely unstructured plan.

- Players who missed out on the RWC squad weren't contacted the night before the announcement, except for Hooper

- Players who did make the squad were contacted by the team's manager the night before, with one player, which has got to be Jorgensen, not having any hint beforehand he'd have to cancel his holiday plans to make a flight to Darwin the next day

- Jones appeared to indicate to the players at the World Cup that this one wasn't important because of 2027.

What a complete fucking shitshow, sounds like Eddie was just making shit up as he went. And instead of going on holiday, Jorgensen goes to the RWC, doesn't get to play in any of it, and ends up with a broken leg for his efforts?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Squidge has done a couple of videos on it in depth. Theoretically (and currently, solely theoretically) its a good idea.
Personally I don't think it worked with English players because culturally they are a very un-thinking Rugby nation which is not good at playing eyes up footy. But there have been times with England and Australia (think opening to Bledisloe II) where it clicks and they absolutely tear their way up the pitch.

Its not really the absence of structure so much as it is adapting your structure in different phases of play to the picture the defense gives you. The obvious point is that its something that takes a lot of cohesion and comfortability with your teammates to get used to. As well as a lot of time on the training paddock. Which makes it all the more odd you would do it for a job you weren't fully committed to and picking a team that had played very little with each other.

There is also a certain irony/ego in the fact that Eddie has done more than any other coach in history to introduce structured & repetitive attacking patterns to rugby. And now wants to be the coach to unwind all of that and show a different path for the game.
I think Squidge was just completely wrong about Eddie and a 'total football' typed approach.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

I've seen some pretty dysfunctional crap in my career but this is definitely among the worst.

Leave Australia Eddie and never return. I feel bad for the players. Some of them are going to need an arm around them after this debacle.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
A lot of people came at Quade for his behaviour after not being selected (going MIA I believe) and then Sonny Bill for his comments during the broadcasts around Jones.

Sounds like both of them will feel fairly vindicated now.

Have we had any comments from Skelton? Do we think he was a straw man or was he actually in Eddie's inner sanctum?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The game plan changes are the most interesting to me. Would love a whole article on that. Looked like we had no discernable plan, and sure enough it seems we didn't.

It's an odd contradiction to deliberately pick an inexperienced squad and then give them no structure in which to play. Surely that just sets them up to fail.

That was what stood out for me watching the boys at the RWC. They looked like they didn't even know where they should be standing in open play. What a goat rodeo.

I guess the good news is that it probably can't get any worse.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Look, Rugby Australia should hire a couple of Aussie dads.

We've retained our winning streak against the outgoing coach and have a better percentage than him and Rennie.
Just about anyone would keep up the Eddie win rate and and you'd get free RM's and Wallaby merch. All you gotta do is crap on about being sure you are making the right decisions and tell journo's to give themselves upper cuts.........the upper cut thing still gets me, it is the type if thing you'd hear on Ray Hadley. Difference is he's a shock jock paid to say that type of thing to connect with the common person while Eddie was the coach of the National Rugby Union team going into a Wolrd Cup.

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think Squidge was just completely wrong about Eddie and a 'total football' typed approach.
I mean I think he might be wrong about whether it can win a World Cup, or whether it would have won England a World Cup. I have no idea tbh. Could see a world where it works. Equally, it might just be a bridge too far for international rugby where you dont have lots of time with the players.

But its pretty factually what he's trying to do. Analysis reveals that. Laurie Fisher made comments intimating this on The Roar podcast as well. He'd probably have a better go of implementing it in club land, where you have a lot more control over your roster and time with the players. As opposed to national team where at some point you have to pick your best players, and unite players who play in lots of different ways.

Reactions: dru