• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Don’t k ow about that……
If we don’t get Mckellar and stellar assistants then I think we are in trouble as Rassie is also out now tho was always low odds

Increasingly it is larkham, Mckellar, Cheika and foster.

Ogara and Lancaster chances.
Jake white would kill rugby in aus, I am sorry
Really.... Most people stop bitching when they start winning

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
What makes anyone confident that in the 10-12 months since Dan and Laurie were apart of the coaching staff that they're going to bring anything different to what we saw last year?

The whole Rennie and Dan era was plagued with among other things (like injuries), being the most penalised team and an inability to put in two consecutive weeks of consistent performances.

We lost ball in the breakdown through inaccuracies in clean out and support, things I'm told Laurie is the king of fixing.

We're now left with an extremely young and inexperienced team, I really don't see how Dan, Laurie and even Larkham are the solutions for this team. Maybe after the next RWC cycle but definitely not now.
Who's your choice, I tend to agree but cupboards bare, I'd steer clear of Chekia, his not that long removed.. I wouldn't mind White, his brilliant... Other then that maybe Jamie Joseph who's coached internationals..

Mostly though we are fucked, just hope who ever gets picked the knifes aren't out in the first few games... Although can't see it where all bastards

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
My background is league, so please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I do find it unusual to use coaches with a league background for defence (e.g. Brett Hodgson). Defensive structures and techniques seem different between the sports or am I well off the mark?
There are a lot of league people around in Union. Edwards and Farrell stand to mind most prominently, Kevin Sinfield also. The problem with Hodgson wasn't that he was a leaguie, he was just shiy. Truly baffling defensive structure, the placement of the wingers was so confused it wasn't funny.

The Great Dissenter

Frank Nicholson (4)
There are a lot of league people around in Union. Edwards and Farrell stand to mind most prominently, Kevin Sinfield also. The problem with Hodgson wasn't that he was a leaguie, he was just shiy. Truly baffling defensive structure, the placement of the wingers was so confused it wasn't funny.
Sinfield and Farrell had the benefit of playing Union at a relatively high level in the English system. Edwards the benefit of a coaching apprenticeship at Club level before moving to National level. However, I do acknowledge your point and the comment regarding winger placement under Hodgson is interesting.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Who's your choice, I tend to agree but cupboards bare, I'd steer clear of Chekia, his not that long removed.. I wouldn't mind White, his brilliant... Other then that maybe Jamie Joseph who's coached internationals..

Mostly though we are fucked, just hope who ever gets picked the knifes aren't out in the first few games... Although can't see it where all bastards
Has Jamie Joseph really proved anything? Japan are as a mid as when he took the job. I guess he hasn’t tanked them.

White has the resume and standing in Rugby to get rid of the Jones smell IMO. He could walk in and take over. Not necessarily just some guy we got because Jones left.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Who's your choice

Joe Schmidt. He was integral for Ireland building what they are now. Understands what RA are trying to do with centralisation.

He helped stabilise the all blacks who came from huge outsiders to be a bees dick from winning the RWC.

If Joe doesn't want to leave NZ, I would make him the DoR and then you can get Bernie. But we need an experienced person at the top.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Really.... Most people stop bitching when they start winning
I don’t think th
Has Jamie Joseph really proved anything? Japan are as a mid as when he took the job. I guess he hasn’t tanked them.

White has the resume and standing in Rugby to get rid of the Jones smell IMO. He could walk in and take over. Not necessarily just some guy we got because Jones left.
He took them to the quarters in 2019.
Haven’t been as good as they were this year but that’s a country that hasn’t produced much new talent.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Joe Schmidt. He was integral for Ireland building what they are now. Understands what Rugby Australia are trying to do with centralisation.

He helped stabilise the all blacks who came from huge outsiders to be a bees dick from winning the RWC.

If Joe doesn't want to leave NZ, I would make him the DoR and then you can get Bernie. But we need an experienced person at the top.
He would be the best available if he’s open to that role. Like the idea of someone like him at the top Vs friend who can mentor the HC and super coaches

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Joe Schmidt. He was integral for Ireland building what they are now. Understands what Rugby Australia are trying to do with centralisation.

He would be a fantastic get and I think the DoR would be perfect. I wouldn’t really care if the person in the role was located remotely but it should be within Australia IMO. Yeah I get Perth is further away than NZ.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I don’t think th
He took them to the quarters in 2019.
Haven’t been as good as they were this year but that’s a country that hasn’t produced much new talent.
That’s fair. I just don’t know if he’s in the elite category.

Good coach, probably. Could be wrong but is anyone clambering for Joseph? Feel like we’d remain the same and maybe steady out at best.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I think White and/or Joseph would be my picks. Joseph is experienced and well thought of, and White knows how to win. I think Cheika is a lot better coach than many on here think (seems more a personal thing then anything else) but you don't go back. Larkham, Conn and Coleman are all potential Wallaby coaches, but none are ready yet. McKellar would be a sound choice, but I think he's made it pretty clear he's staying where he is.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
What's Jake White been doing since leaving the Brumbies?

Bit surprised he's being mentioned here. Feels like yesterday's man. Not to mention a noted Eddie Jones type personality, and I think there's probably enough evidence now that this squad doesn't respond to the that type of coach.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Bit surprised he's being mentioned here. Feels like yesterday's man. Not to mention a noted Eddie Jones type personality, and I think there's probably enough evidence now that this squad doesn't respond to the that type of coach.
A fair bit - Sharks DoR (2014), Technical advisor with Tonga (2014), head coach Montpellier (2014-17), head coach Toyota Verblitz (2017-20), DoR/Coach Bulls (2020-current)

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)

Really? I recall all those stories about making his players iron their own clothes and walk the last bit to the ground. He was always pretty much a brick wall to the press iirc.

Whereas Jones expanded the staff to the biggest the Wallabies have ever had and gave the players everything seemingly so that he could throw them under the bus to the media.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Has he won anything in those roles? Doesn't scream 'international coach in waiting' to me.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Has he won anything in those roles? Doesn't scream 'international coach in waiting' to me.
Runner's up in the URC Rainbow Cup with the Bulls in 2021, Toyota were generally semi finalists (having been mid table before he joined), similar for Montpellier I believe. Semi-finalists again for the Sharks.

Not amazing, but certainly not a terrible record, and to be fair most of the other candidates have had mixed success too. I don't think he's the right fit though, the climate here means a foreign coach is probably going to need to come in with an exceptional record (and great media skills/relations) to be a success.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
My background is league, so please excuse my ignorance on this subject, but I do find it unusual to use coaches with a league background for defence (e.g. Brett Hodgson). Defensive structures and techniques seem different between the sports or am I well off the mark?
The fascination with league defence coaches comes from McQueens time in the late 90's when he used a league coach John Muggleton to great effect. That team (arguably our best ever) was based on an excellent defence. The Reds coach Les Kiss was a successful defence coach for the Waratahs before going to Europe.