• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
take rugbypass with a grain of salt, its mainly opinion piece by someone who is not a real jouno with an axe to grind
Usually I'd agree. But Nick Bishop is just about the only person on there worth reading, its actual analysis not crappy opinions.

Having said that I don't think it reveals anything we didn't already know. Pone not up to muster at scrumtime & Richie Arnold a bit useless. Doesn't go very deep, but who the fuck would want to do a deep dive on the campaign.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
On the topic of player ID and development. This is a serious read with major implications for doing nothing.
take rugbypass with a grain of salt, its mainly opinion piece by someone who is not a real jouno with an axe to grind
Bullshit, Nick knows more about rugby than you will ever know. His articles when he was on the Roar always led the comments.

Nick Bishop has worked as a rugby analyst and advisor to Graham Henry (1999-2003), Mike Ruddock (2004-2005) and most recently Stuart Lancaster (2011-2015). He also worked on the 2001 British & Irish Lions tour to Australia.....​

Nick is currently working as a strategy and analysis consultant to Stuart Lancaster. He has also performed consultancy work for Super Rugby coaches in Australia over the past couple of seasons​

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
You’re grasping now- how much time did Murray get off the bench against the ABs?
If we want to deal with hypotheticals arguably the Wallabies were weaker with Quade and Kerevi not available for that match.

Sexton was pedestrian in the world cup when it mattered and looked like a bloke pushing thirty-nine years.

Peak Johnny, yeah, he's their all time outhalf ... but not now. Would almost be like us trying to play Quade in 2025 or 2027.

Still, Ireland made the QF and played a tight match against NZ. We're now tier 2.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Sexton was pedestrian in the world cup when it mattered and looked like a bloke pushing thirty-nine years.

Peak Johnny, yeah, he's their all time outhalf ... but not now. Would almost be like us trying to play Quade in 2025 or 2027.

Still, Ireland made the QF and played a tight match against NZ. We're now tier 2.
sexton was awful after half time in the quarter final.

Hamish saying not only does he have no regrets about hiring jones....but he'd do it all over again.

what an extraordinarily ridiculous comment to make. how can you look at this dumpster fire and say you would make it again. it's absurd and i would say 100% not true.

The Great Dissenter

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hamish saying not only does he have no regrets about hiring jones....but he'd do it all over again.

what an extraordinarily ridiculous comment to make. how can you look at this dumpster fire and say you would make it again. it's absurd and i would say 100% not true.
Never admit fault. Has worked splendidly through his career. Before I was engaged to pick through the ashes of TEN Network, Hammer had done the media rounds to espouse how well he had restructured the business to finally compete with Nine and Seven. To those that still hold shares in REA Group, be wary.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Seen a few senior managers in my work life who were totally incompetent. Virtually all of them used used the following strategy:

Never admit fault. Keep telling everyone ad nauseum that you did the right thing and the strategic path you took was the best and only possible one. Repeat this lie endlessly until people just get tired and admit you must be right. And so a lie becomes established fact.

The laws of libel prevent me from listing a number of heads of big companies who have used this strategy all their working life. None of the companies suffering this strategy are doing well. Good senior managers are able to admit they are only human and do make mistakes and then get on with correcting them. If the mistake turns into a disaster they resign.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Seen a few senior managers in my work life who were totally incompetent. Virtually all of them used used the following strategy:

Never admit fault. Keep telling everyone ad nauseum that you did the right thing and the strategic path you took was the best and only possible one. Repeat this lie endlessly until people just get tired and admit you must be right. And so a lie becomes established fact.

The laws of libel prevent me from listing a number of heads of big companies who have used this strategy all their working life. None of the companies suffering this strategy are doing well. Good senior managers are able to admit they are only human and do make mistakes and then get on with correcting them. If the mistake turns into a disaster they resign.
Joe Aston's former column in the AFR really exposed just how true this is. I didn't always agree with Joe's findings but his philosophy of refusing to drop a subject until it was resolved and fighting these hard-line blame shifters with hard facts was the only way to do that.

For Australia to develop into a more advanced economy we simply cannot just shrug and mutter under our breath when these business leaders do this shit. That applies to RA perhaps more than any other organisation in our country. Two decades of sustained declining results is unfathomable frankly. They'll say they've made changes to administrative staff, but they haven't ever changed the entrenched causal factor, which is self interest and a sort of nimbyism of culture.

What a tangent.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Joe Aston's former column in the AFR really exposed just how true this is. I didn't always agree with Joe's findings but his philosophy of refusing to drop a subject until it was resolved and fighting these hard-line blame shifters with hard facts was the only way to do that.

For Australia to develop into a more advanced economy we simply cannot just shrug and mutter under our breath when these business leaders do this shit. That applies to Rugby Australia perhaps more than any other organisation in our country. Two decades of sustained declining results is unfathomable frankly. They'll say they've made changes to administrative staff, but they haven't ever changed the entrenched causal factor, which is self interest and a sort of nimbyism of culture.

What a tangent.
No. It applies to the state unions even more so. RA is the frontman for rugby in Australia, but their hands are tied by the federated model. It's the state unions which bear more of the responsibility for the situation we're in, yet it's only ever RA that cops the heat, at least in the media.