• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The one and only Wallaby Coach thread

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the context is important there - as far as I'm aware he's speaking as a college coach, were you only ever have players for a few years, there is a constant stream of players coming through, and you have relatively minimal investment in what happens to the majority of those players once they leave your program.

In that space it's pretty accurate and we see the same here around age grade players through to their early 20s taking the first step to professionalism. Some of the stars can make the jump to pro, some can't and some of the guys who look like a good solid player at an amateur level end up looking like a good solid player at pro level because the application is there and they rise to the level they're playing at.

It isn't permanent though, particularly in our game where there is a path to the pros well into your 20s. You can take a guy like Kellaway who was a gun at under 20s, but struggled with the step up to the pros initially. He then goes overseas gains experience and develops as a professional and comes back a changed player.

This sort of issue is why I think something like an NRC is so important. You need to get players in a professional environment (or as close as possible) to really see who is ready and able to take the next step, beyond just on field performance.

Yeah, a thousand years ago, in my playing days we had a couple of highly talented units turn up from soccer who within 10 rugby games made the NSW 18s

One went on to play SS, a few reps, win a comp and play in the NRL

The other never put in the work and did nothing except get stoned

Link said it well as well (paraphrasing) "you need a subset of the team who just turns up and delivers 80-90% of their ability every week to make up for the super talented randomly amazing individual"

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ian Foster, Andrew Strawbridge, David Hill, Scott McLeod, Greg Feek.

I'd be careful what you wish for...

We've already got the Kiwi in the box seat, if he brings others it's just part of the package. The die is cast. To the best of our commerical ability he needs to be given as much of what he wants as we can. Hopefully he holds a small amount of thinking for coaching pathways, other than that the gig is his.

Last edited:

shanky

Darby Loudon (17)
Thought he was leading a cancer charity or something these days, Shanky.

Don't know if I'd expect a middle-aged former test forward to look like Pierce Brosnan. But so long as he's lucent, ... and can say "duck à l'orange"?
That duck a l’orange advert is still one of the funniest things I‘ve seen. The drop bear one was gold as well.

Aahh, the golden era of Aussie rugby being on primetime ads. Seems like a lifetime ago.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
100% agree.

I liked the music for this. Think it had some legs.

This one is a little arty but I loved it

This one’s good too.

I loved the "wanna be a Wallaby" ad as a kid (that song brought back good memories).

First I'd seen this song but can we just run with this for an ad campaign?

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Sounds pretty settled. Good for him but coaching is a winding path.

Don't like doing this but there is obvious chat regarding Coleman and I personally would support Halangahu being in the mix if they did go another direction.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Listening to Joe Schmidt on Giteau's, Two-Dads and Drew Mitchell's podcast.

He comes across sooooo much better than EJ (Eddie Jones). He also sounds a lot more prepared than Dave Rennie. Really refreshing to listen to a coach willing to engage

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Listening to Joe Schmidt on Giteau's, Two-Dads and Drew Mitchell's podcast.

He comes across sooooo much better than EJ (Eddie Jones) (Eddie Jones). He also sounds a lot more prepared than Dave Rennie. Really refreshing to listen to a coach willing to engage
what is that called, I can't find it anywhere? Any searches I do bring me back to GBR Au