• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The problem with the NRC and how to fix it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Perth won the comp in 2016 without any byes and my suggestion is that their air miles per game last year will be more than Fiji's for next year.

Either way, we're really on the same side of the argument in terms of backing the NRC. I think it's a comp that still has a future.

The main game, however, is the next level up. I differ from most posters on this board because I believe the current Super Rugby model is doomed. But that's another discussion …

Kiap no offence you are no Robison and Crusoe on believing Super Rugby is doomed as majority on that bandwagon and you only have to look at crowd figures and TV ratings in recent years to tell you that......

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
the ARU is punching out a survey on the NRC at the moment, please ensure you respond and list http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/ as where you get your info from

Would love to, but it would seem they are not interested in a 47 year old's opinion....... :)
490b0c32a225a934afe8e49e1bbb812f.jpg

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Interesting questions near the end-
The NRC is more entertaining than watching Super Rugby?

Hard to answer, I prefer watching the Reds play over any other form of Rugby, but prefer NRC to Super rugby if there is no Aussie team involved.

T

TOCC

from 2017 my preference was:
1. NRC
2. Super Rugby
3. Queensland Premier Rugby
4. Shute Shield

Super Rugby lost some lustre due to the utterly abysmal performance of all Oz teams, QPR would be higher but the quality of broadcast is lacking at times, and lastly SS, I watched the GF out of interest but had no interest in any of the other games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
That is the key, at least for me. I have been interested in Sydney club rugby since I was 7. That is a very long time ago.

I know I bang on about tradition, but there is no doubt in my mind that tradition plays a big part in creating interest in sporting competitions.

This is one of the things that Super Rugby really dropped the ball on: by dropping geographical names and sticking with nicknames. Some of the nicknames had some history, some didn't. But virtually all of them did very little to educate the casual viewer. And the commentators just ignore casual viewers. If the person watching a game does not know already that the Blues are Auckland, well, tough titty.

It will take a very long time to build up traditional rivalries in the NRC. Traditional rivalries are the blood of any competition.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
1. NRC (best Rugby in the country. Period.)
2.Shute Shield (the games were played with more endeavour than Super Rugby which made in more enjoyable)
3.Super Rugby.

i didn't see much of the QPR competition.

T

TOCC

That is the key, at least for me. I have been interested in Sydney club rugby since I was 7. That is a very long time ago.

I know I bang on about tradition, but there is no doubt in my mind that tradition plays a big part in creating interest in sporting competitions.

This is one of the things that Super Rugby really dropped the ball on: by dropping geographical names and sticking with nicknames. Some of the nicknames had some history, some didn't. But virtually all of them did very little to educate the casual viewer. And the commentators just ignore casual viewers. If the person watching a game does not know already that the Blues are Auckland, well, tough titty.

It will take a very long time to build up traditional rivalries in the NRC. Traditional rivalries are the blood of any competition.

For once it seems we agree

For the life of me I don’t understand why they dropped the geographical names from teams and went with stupid colours, animals or logos as the primary name.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
For once it seems we agree

For the life of me I don’t understand why they dropped the geographical names from teams and went with stupid colours, animals or logos as the primary name.

advertising executives. I remember when Sheffield shield used to be played between states, now it is between animals and criminals....QLD v VIC

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)

NRC needed to fit in with club rugby. I believe that a junior starting his career with a goal of being a Wallaby should known that they are going to play for a school that follows onto a club team that follows onto an NRC team that follows onto a Super Rugby Team and the to the Wallabies. NRC is just adding another level to prove yourself

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If the person watching a game does not know already that the Blues are Auckland, well, tough titty.

This could apply to every televised sporting event........

But in this case, the Blues are not Auckland, as they represent the region that includes Auckland, North Harbour and Northland..............

They do however play in Auckland, as that giant map at the start of every game shows......... and then there's the commentators regularly incorrectly referring to them as the "Auckland" Blues.

Particularly when they happen to be playing the Tahs who wear blue

I don't believe this confusion pops up in any other sport.........

498150-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

In fact, it doesn't seem to be a problem in other professional rugby comps..........

PinkShirt_rdax_60.jpg

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
When the come here and play the Reds they wear white, when the Reds travel across the ditch they wear white

So the proposition is that a team known as the blues wear white when they play a team known as the reds who wear white when they play the blues at the blues home ground. Sums up the problem with super rugby in one sentence. Which was Wamberal's point, I think.
to the extent that anyone is still watching is anyone watching on a black and white TV?

T

TOCC

When the come here and play the Reds they wear white, when the Reds travel across the ditch they wear white

Reds still wear red in New Zealand, Reds have an alternate jersey for colour clashes, but it’s not an away jersey. Only time Reds really wear their white jersey is against the Lions in South Africa.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
NRC needed to fit in with club rugby. I believe that a junior starting his career with a goal of being a Wallaby should known that they are going to play for a school that follows onto a club team that follows onto an NRC team that follows onto a Super Rugby Team and the to the Wallabies. NRC is just adding another level to prove yourself

Agree, But how do juniors feel if there parents cant afford private school fees and that goal cant be reached? Rugby is almost like you have to go to a Private School to become a Wallaby which is wrong. Just look at other codes - summer and winter sport, it is proof that there is sporting talent out there littered through the schools its about opening doors and supporting kids opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.