• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The SANZAR board is made up of the CEOs of the 3 unions. One would assume each is responsible for negotiating the broadcast deals in their own country.

Isn't the broadcast figure one that Sanzar negotiates and then the 3 unions squabble over their split of the total pool?
SA and NZ get more because the offer Currie Cup and NPC.
The deal has always been with News Corp and is between Sanzar and News Corp.
http://www.sanzarrugby.com/about-sanzar/

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Isn't the broadcast figure one that Sanzar negotiates and then the 3 unions squabble over their split of the total pool?
SA and NZ get more because the offer Currie Cup and NPC.
The deal has always been with News Corp and is between Sanzar and News Corp.
I'm pretty sure while the initial deals were between SANZAR and Newscorp, these days SANZAR deals directly with the broadcasters in each country, ie Foxsports, Supersport in South Africa and Sky in NZ (which News no longer owns). There's no News Corp middleman anymore

SANZAR is not a big organisation, and it's mostly made up of members of the separate unions, eg Bill Pulver acts for both the ARU (as CEO) and SANZAR (as a board member).

I don't actually know, but I imagine the ARU is responsible for negotiating the TV deals in Australia, which then goes to SANZAR's revenue pool and a separate discussion is held as to how the revenue is distributed to the JV members.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Isn't the revenue evenly split now?

That was a big part of adding the Rebels. It might cost the ARU money now that the ARU holds the Rebels licence because the Rebels are losing money but it moved the ARU from receiving 28.5% of the Super Rugby TV revenue to 33.3%.

This is a point that is conveniently ignored when people complain about the Rebels costing the ARU money.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Think it is yes, and then NZ, and SA negotiate the NPC and Currie Cup separately.

There was always the rumour that SuperSport under paid for Super rugby and over paid for the Currie Cup on SARU direction because one went to the SANZAR pool and the other didn't.

Yep. And, quoting that article from 9 months back, we can see who does what in terms of negotiating the deals:

It is understood that when a union is finalising its Super Rugby deal with a broadcaster, a member of one of the other two unions will need to be present. It is hoped the measure will guarantee better oversight of countries’ individual negotiations and lead to increased trust among the joint venture partners . . .

A key battle front is how the pooled broadcasting revenue will be divided among the three unions. Each country will still take its domestic competition to market first (Australia has already secured a reported $1.5 million for the National Rugby Championship) and be entitled to keep the proceeds to itself, before going a second time to broadcasters with Super Rugby and then the Rugby Championship.

The proceeds of those two deals made between unions and their respective broadcasters will be pooled and divided between the SANZAR co-signatories. But with no ongoing agreement on how that is done, the ARU is not guaranteed the one-third share it currently enjoys, which was secured by then-chief executive John O’Neill in 2009.

Australia must fight all over again for an equal or greater share with its partners and rivals. And it is here that the ARU is readying itself for war, since SARU can be expected to use its sixth mouth to feed (the Southern Kings) as a justification for demanding a greater share, while Australia will demand a larger piece of the pie, having broadly submitted to every one of South Africa's demands on the structure of the expanded Super Rugby competition.

Essentially each partner does its own deal and then the split is negotiated. What the ARU said yesterday is that the split for the 2016 deal has now been agreed (and should be inked in the next two months).

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
If HE pulls it off?
I thought SANZAR negotiates the deal,not the individual Unions??
Happy to give him credit for the NRC coverage,which was a significant win for the code.

Hoping he is also working on SS coverage for the coming season!
What does the NSWRU do?

These people . . . ?
Nick Farr-Jones​
Kerry Chikarovski​
Geoff Ferris​
Arthur Laundy​
Rob Millner​
Paul Timmins​
Philip Van Schalkwyk​
Peter Veenstra​
Bruce Worboys​
Tim Gavin​
Michael Mathers​

It's not in the ARU's remit to be negotiating SS coverage. If NSW can't operate their own competition then it's time to fold the NSWRU.

Come in car #9. Your time is up.

The Greater Sydney Rams put a few games on screen. If the Shute wants to achive the same then they should be pursuing the same strategy.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
What is your source for this?

I find that a strange question given that I said "I believe".
Do you have a competing rumour?
My source was an SMS I received that I went public with in the Shute Shield thread some weeks ago having exposed some other information about it earlier in the SS thread - i.e. late last year.
I can trace it to a "broadcaster".

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I find that a strange question given that I said "I believe".
Do you have a competing rumour?
My source was an SMS I received that I went public with in the Shute Shield thread some weeks ago having exposed some other information about it earlier in the SS thread - i.e. late last year.
I can trace it to a "broadcaster".

I heard a competing rumour that it will be SBS 2. However, the source wasn't reliable enough to post until now.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I could possibly see 7mate or sbs buying the rights and showing it, but I really can't see them employing a camera crew, commentators, producers etc.

Is there an enterprising bunch of TV entrepreneurs out there putting the production team together?

Status
Not open for further replies.