• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The problem is finding the space in the calendar during a non world cup year. The Islanders play the Pacific Nations Cup in the June window and that's quite a few games over a short period of time - similar to a world cup schedule.

And in the November window all the SANZAR teams are in Europe. It'd be ideal to play a match outside those windows (like with the All Blacks v USA test last year), but it's very difficult and requires a lot of negotiation as most of the islanders play for European clubs.

I think basically there needs to be a better global calendar for this stuff to become easier.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No doubt there are a lot of issues with the island teams as you say.

Luckily, none of those issues really apply to playing Japan so hopefully it's something that can happen without too much effort. I see a lot of positives.

EDIT: And as we've discussed previously, growing the game in the Pacific Nations Cup countries will bring more money into rugby in this part of the world. Hopefully that means less of a pull towards Europe long term.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
One obvious problem with the survey is that there is no guarantee that only genuine rugby people will respond.

Survey should cover all types of people, hardened rugby followers, occaisional rugby followers and non followers....ie you want to understand those who don't follow rugby why they don't etc and what it would take to interest them (reality versus perceptions) - never saw this survey sadly as would have been interested in questions they are asking.

Surveying australian public very positive development in my books

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Survey should cover all types of people, hardened rugby followers, occaisional rugby followers and non followers..ie you want to understand those who don't follow rugby why they don't etc and what it would take to interest them (reality versus perceptions) - never saw this survey sadly as would have been interested in questions they are asking.

Surveying australian public very positive development in my books

There are two choices, really. Either survey only those who know something about the game and its strengths and weaknesses, which will would reflect the thoughts of those of us who are stakeholders in one way or another; or do a proper, statistically accurate, survey which truly reflects the thoughts of the whole population.

Anything in between is capable of being damaged by the enemies of the game, and there are a lot of those. Have a look at your nearest Loig Internet forum for evidence of this.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
what about promotion/relegation with the TRC and PNC (Pacific Nations Cup)???

Fiji wouldn't be out of place in the TRC... just need to sort out the Euro clubs stranglehold on players

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
agreed this is utopian dreaming on the premise that its Argie/Fiji going down (or SA!). You would have to make it 5 teams in the TRC. If Oz got a share of the JAP TV broadcast deal though relegation may pay more!!!

T

TOCC

Fiji or Samoa to play a test against Australia in 2017

As revealed by the Daily Telegraph in July, the Wallabies are in talks to bring a Pacific Nations side to Australia in 2017 for a Test and it is down to Fiji or Samoa, ARU boss Bill Pulver said.
“In 2017 and it is the alternate year to the Lions tour, so on that year we play Scotland and Italy and one of the Pacific Island nations, it’s not yet locked up whether it is Fiji or Samoa,” Pulver told us.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...ith-james-packer/story-fnii0ksb-1227561993192

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Would be nice if it was a quadrangular series, a la the South African Tournament in 2013. Although I'd like fewer players missing through injury and more missing through Lions duty!

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I am surprised we haven't seen more of Pulver, don't recall seeing him once. Last RWC we had JON getting his face into everything he could. So in that regard it could be a good thing but would like to see him out drumming up a bit of publicity.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I am surprised we haven't seen more of Pulver, don't recall seeing him once. Last RWC we had JON getting his face into everything he could. So in that regard it could be a good thing but would like to see him out drumming up a bit of publicity.

He's been at home watching NRC games.

I'd guess we've been represented by board members/preseident etc. at the RWC so far.

Would be surprised if he doesn't head over at some stage of the tournament.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)

He was on Rugby HQ

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He's been at home watching NRC games.

I'd guess we've been represented by board members/preseident etc. at the RWC so far.

Would be surprised if he doesn't head over at some stage of the tournament.
He was in the crowd of dignitaries behind the coaches' boxes at Twickenham last week.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Letting the team advertise our game, not himself like JON advertising himself.

Whilst we've had only one tier one game - i think the RWC is capturing some good interest.

I'd like to see more highlights and adds in Prime Time on FTA (which given its on Fox maybe difficult).

Purpose - advertising our game.

Random 30 sec highlight reels try's / plays etc, opportunities like this come every 4 years.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
5 1/2 pages of rugby coverage in today's Sydney morning herald. What happened with Georgina Robinson?

Status
Not open for further replies.