• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Hopefully they'll get a decent crowd in Chicago, but there are some challenges. The All Blacks game sold out after a significant marketing effort from AIG and a lot of the crowd had flown in from other parts of the country. This match is not nearly as significant now. The Wallabies are not as big a drawcard and you'd think the match will rely on attracting a lot more locals. And from what I understand Chicago is not really a rugby stronghold in the US.

uploadfromtaptalk1431730696343.gif

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Pfft, you won't find many more optimistic than me. I'm always for any global expansion initiatives. But you gotta be aware of the challenges! US Rugby and the ARU can't just expect to fill the stadium, they'll have to work hard for it.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
They will melt.

Yeah but that's the idea, right?

Top class marathoners train at high altitudes for competitions because there is less oxygen. Then at sea level they are faster.

The training mask simulates the effects of altitude and for that reason is used by the great athletes.

If you dominate your body in the most demanding conditions, then under normal conditions you're going to improve.

I checked this myself. As a runner, when I've trained in the cold night and then ran a race in a hot day, my performance decreased. When I've trained in the hot midday and then ran a race in a cold night, my performance was better.

If they can control their bodies in the heat of the Middle East, they will be supersonic aircrafts in the cold of England.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)

Top class marathoners train at high altitudes for competitions because there is less oxygen. Then at sea level they are faster.

The training mask simulates the effects of altitude and for that reason is used by the great athletes.

If you dominate your body in the most demanding conditions, then under normal conditions you're going to improve.

I checked this myself. As a runner, when I've trained in the cold night and then ran a race in a hot day, my performance decreased. When I've trained in the hot midday and then ran a race in a cold night, my performance was better.

If they can control their bodies in the heat of the Middle East, they will be supersonic aircrafts in the cold of England.
For one off events extreme conditioning can help but the effects don't last long when you return to your normal conditions.
I'd rather train in the climate I was going to compete in, but that's just me.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)

Speaking as someone living in the middle east, I think it's a stupid thing to do. At that time of year the heat and humidity are bad enough the governments ban outdoor work between noon and 3pm. And you know how much they care about workers.

Still, it will potentially make our way out of the pool of death easier, so I encourage them to go ahead!

T

TOCC

Well not quite. altitude training is a different subject altogether, athletes training at high altitude because the lower oxygen levels increase your body's red blood cell count and mass, thus when you return to sea level your body has more red blood cell to allow oxygen to reach your muscles.. This also has flow on effects for rehabilitation, hence why athletes love it..

Training in the heat has its benefits, but they are largely limited to acclimatising for the environment for where you are intending to play.. Wales won't get much benefit from doing a camp in June in 50degree heat when the World Cup will be months later in 20 degree heat.

The benefit of training in the heat is limited to a 9-10day period post training.. Whereas altitude training has been proven to have positive effects for up to 28 days following.. Furthermore training in the heat limits the duration for which athletes can train for and the intensity they can train at, 60-90min/day at 50% intensity is a light training schedule for a rugby team to maintain for 9days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Well not quite. altitude training is a different subject altogether, athletes training at high altitude because the lower oxygen levels increase your body's red blood cell count and mass, thus when you return to sea level your body has more red blood cell to allow oxygen to reach your muscles.. This also has flow on effects for rehabilitation, hence why athletes love it..

Training in the heat has its benefits, but they are largely limited to acclimatising for the environment for where you are intending to play.. Wales won't get much benefit from doing a camp in June in 50degree heat when the World Cup will be months later in 20 degree heat.

The benefit of training in the heat is limited to a 9-10day period post training.. Whereas altitude training has been proven to have positive effects for up to 28 days following.. Furthermore training in the heat limits the duration for which athletes can train for and the intensity they can train at, 60-90min/day at 50% intensity is a light training schedule for a rugby team to maintain for 9days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They won't be six months training in the Middle East, it's just a couple of days. Whatever, I'm not sure just have to say that they are training very well in fitness, have never had physical problems, their problems are about rugby skills:

Adam Beard, former S&C Wales Coach is one of the best coaches in the world. He has been hired by an NFL franchise (Raiders), everybody know that the NFL is the top in terms of fitness:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-loss-fitness-guru-adam-8925313

They have always been innovative in their methods of physical training, I remember that 3 years ago they went to train to Poland for a special training in extreme conditions.

WRU Head of Strength & Conditioning Adam Beard has been talking to WRU TV about the benefits of training in the extreme conditions Warren Gatland's side are experiencing in Gdansk as they prepare for the forthcoming Six Nations:

In fact, their fitness is very good. Wallabies were never able to crush them in the last 10 victories, were always by a small margin. Maybe their fitness program is better than the ARU's fitness program.

If the fitness guru Adam Beard has recommended training in the Middle East, undoubtedly, they will take advantage of that. Beard is the fitness guru, not us.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
In fact, their fitness is very good. Wallabies were never able to crush them in the last 10 victories, were always by a small margin. Maybe their fitness program is better than the ARU's fitness program.

If the fitness guru Adam Beard has recommended training in the Middle East, undoubtedly, they will take advantage of that. Beard is the fitness guru, not us.

From the video - defended strongly for 32 phases! Yep, I'd call that the result of a successful fitness program.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Interesting to see the Survey that the ARU have launched regarding the future of the game. It's a nice thing to do, although I'm skeptical of the value the organisation will put on the results - maybe it's a way to wind back spending on things that the survey rank lowly. For such a wonderful and culturally rich sport, the ad hoc processes and disengagement from the grassroots of the sport (example being delivering an survey rather than announcing at club or sub-union level the hosting of a forum for those that are genuinely interested in the future of the sport for instance) are surprising at the ARU level. There is also significant work done internationally on many areas of grassroots recruitment and retention - this should be something that unions share a lot more information on and work together on. It can only benefit of the game as a whole.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I think the forum comes after the survey, though.

Just having a forum with no set topics or ideas to be discussed is a recipe for disaster.

You do the survey, then generate some policy ideas and changes, announce those in some sort of discussion paper, THEN you have the forum and info sessions.

But I doubt they will do that, of course. You never know, though.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Barb is right - you need to steer the conversation somehow or you'll just get the trolley pushers in there for every issue under the sun

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think it is also an opportunity for people [read us] to really consider what we see as important and therefore have some buy in to the result.

If 90% of people say that the NRC is the most important thing for the improvement of Australian rugby then the ARU know that they are going to cop a heap of flack if they reduce/can it. They also will then have a argument for diverting funding from other areas to the NRC.

I think the survey is a good thing. If only by making me feel that at least some of my bitchin' has been listened to. The outcome however is yet to be determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.