• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Di Patston case rolls on...

Not any more it doesn't, the inevitable (& inevitably confidential) result having been reached:

"The Australian Rugby Union and former Wallaby business manager Di Patston have confirmed that they have resolved Patston’s claim against the ARU."

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_47325,00.html

Any accountants out there who'd care to speculate how this will be hidden I mean fully disclosed in the next Annual Report & Balance Sheet?

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
"The Australian Rugby Union and former Wallaby business manager Di Patston have confirmed that they have resolved Patston’s claim against the ARU."
What's worse for we fans? Not knowing the truth because of the confidentiality clause, or having the issue trundled through the media, blogs, office gossip, and in the grandstands while games are on?
I don't have the answer. Both are terrible.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Which confidentiality clause would you like to know about, FF (Folau Fainga'a), the one in the agreement when Patston left the ARU last year or the one worked out last week? Whomever the solicitor was who drew up the first separation agreement should have his, or her, arse kicked followed by a request to return the relevant fee.

ALL parties in this unfortunate affair come out of it with not much dignity: the ARU for their parsimonious penny-pinching resulting in an inadequate team management structure, Patston for her inappropriate involvement in team matters causing unnecessary tension, McKenzie for his lack of judgement hiring Patston in the first place, and Beale for the bit he did (BTW, Kurtley didn't do nearly as much as he's been accused of by his detractors, as came out in the disciplinary proceedings, but what he did was offensive). The ONLY person whose honour remains intact over this whole sordid affair is Rob Egerton, who resigned his position as Wallaby Team Manager when he didn't approve of McKenzie's style or direction.

I sincerely hope all rugby supporters can put this whole sorry matter behind us and carry on for the good of our code. Unfortunately, it'll be some time before the smell subsides.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm kind of disappointed that this case didn't proceed to trial. The adverse action cases since the Fair Work Act commenced in 09 have proved to be quite revealing. Plus I probably would've scored a trip to Sydders to observe the Federal court proceedings :)

Even if the ARU thought they were on solid ground, the reverse onus of proof that applies to this part of the Act makes them tough. Also, as Robinson alludes to in her piece this morning, the potential reputational damage of having the dirty laundry out there was probably the major factor in settling.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
ALL parties in this unfortunate affair come out of it with not much dignity: the ARU for their parsimonious penny-pinching resulting in an inadequate team management structure, Patston for her inappropriate involvement in team matters causing unnecessary tension, McKenzie for his lack of judgement hiring Patston in the first place, and Beale for the bit he did (BTW, Kurtley didn't do nearly as much as he's been accused of by his detractors, as came out in the disciplinary proceedings, but what he did was offensive).
Ah, the wily old gambit of spreading the shit evenly. What a load of garbage.

Minimise the admitted grubby offense and conduct violation. Blame the cost cutting. Must've only been a witch to have deserved that. And obviously a fool who was c**t struck to hire her.

Has Beale even paid his $45,000 fine yet? Hopefully that money is at least doing some good.

Which women's charity did it go to?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Has Beale even paid his $45,000 fine yet? Hopefully that money is at least doing some good.

Which women's charity did it go to?

It is going to the Strong Sistas program at the Lloyd McDermott Rugby Development Team.

I don't know where it is up to but Beale started paying the fine in instalments towards the end of last year.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It is going to the Strong Sistas program at the Lloyd McDermott Rugby Development Team.

I don't know where it is up to but Beale started paying the fine in instalments towards the end of last year.
So "It won't be a line item in the next annual report" and will just be included in the Lloyd McDermott Foundation's consolidated revenue?

You'd hope they'd get at least 45 grand in there.

Perhaps a testimonial from the Sistas on whether Gilbert has actually done anything to help. At least Potgieter turned up.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Without a doubt in the world he had both eyes on the balance sheet for this one.

And Cheika probably had both eyes on his win/loss record.

T

TOCC

It might be a good for a quick cash return but the exposure generated in the US is also good for the game.

I just wish that for everyone one of these cash generating games that they would offer another game to be played in Fiji/Tonga/Samoa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wobs to play USA in Chicago on 5 September as a final pre-RWC warmup. No mention of the match fee but I'm guessing BP had one eye on the balance sheet when doing the deal.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_48903,00.html

With the World Cup meaning no June Test series, and only two Tests in Australia in a shortened Rugby Championship, the ARU admit the agreement to play a profitable match against the USA (reported to be worth $1m) is significant.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hopefully they'll get a decent crowd in Chicago, but there are some challenges. The All Blacks game sold out after a significant marketing effort from AIG and a lot of the crowd had flown in from other parts of the country. This match is not nearly as significant now. The Wallabies are not as big a drawcard and you'd think the match will rely on attracting a lot more locals. And from what I understand Chicago is not really a rugby stronghold in the US.

On the other hand the Eagles should be more competitive against us. Particularly because they'll have had the Pacific Nations Cup as preparation, whereas last year they basically assembled a week before the game. Maybe USA rugby can build up a bit of buzz about sending off their team before the world cup in a match against another 2 time world champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.