• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Pulverisation of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
But didn't the Americans think they were playing against Australia last year? They might be a bit confused when they turn up and see a team in green and gold and no Haka.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
YOU'RE WELCOME, ARU.

Soldier Field is close to 60m across at maximum width, so the pitch should be almost exactly the same size as you'd expect it to be in any test.

Financial success for this match in the eyes of the ARU will hinge on USAR underwriting the costs like they did with the All Blacks test. AIG should still throw marketing money at this match though. They are the sponsors of the All Blacks and USA Eagles.

Pretty smart move on their part, sponsoring the current #1 and the future #1!

Either way, nobody at Soldier Field is used to seeing the home team win these days - so it should be business as usual ;)

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
How much attendance is calculated for this game? Given that it's difficult for Wobs get a sold-out outside of NSW or QLD. The Wallabies aren't so famous around the world as ABs.

YOU'RE WELCOME, ARU.

Soldier Field is close to 60m across at maximum width, so the pitch should be almost exactly the same size as you'd expect it to be in any test.

Financial success for this match in the eyes of the ARU will hinge on USAR underwriting the costs like they did with the All Blacks test. AIG should still throw marketing money at this match though. They are the sponsors of the All Blacks and USA Eagles.

Pretty smart move on their part, sponsoring the current #1 and the future #1!

Either way, nobody at Soldier Field is used to seeing the home team win these days - so it should be business as usual ;)

AIG will sponsor the game?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Why do we care about the gate? We don't get extra revenue from it.

Because if it's a success it can mean bigger matches in future. A flop would be a set back.

Rugby has had really impressive growth in the US over the last 5 years or so. It's a potentially huge rugby market that the ARU and SANZAR should be looking to help grow for our own benefit as much as theirs. In the medium term we could integrate them into our tournaments and increase shared revenues as a result. Argentina are on the right track with this new Pan-American 6 Nations that they're setting up from 2016. Maybe that leads to a Pan-American Super Rugby conference and an eventual expansion of the Rugby Championship.

T

TOCC

Why do we care about the gate? We don't get extra revenue from it.

No not necessarily, ARU have had profit sharing agreements in the past... It wouldn't surprise me if USARugby had this, it's like an insurance contract for them since the crowd might be an unknown factor.. Rather then a set value it could be a percentage of the ticket sales:

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The Australia/US games could have added interest if the Eagles gave Greg Peterson a run ... our loss , thought he did well in the NRC but just didn't get enough game time with the Tahs ...Anyone know how he has gone at Leicester ?

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The Australia/US games could have added interest if the Eagles gave Greg Peterson a run . our loss , thought he did well in the NRC but just didn't get enough game time with the Tahs .Anyone know how he has gone at Leicester ?

I wonder if "we" could be looking looking at this all wrong. Are we sure we aren't a side-show novelty promotional item?

So the All blacks have done it. Leicester Tigers V the US Rough Riders captained by Ali Williams (yes that one) were confirmed last April to play in August,

Then there seem to be some interest in the US local press about people wanting to the game:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/nrfl-rugby-usa

And they do seem to be serious about getting a team or 2 together:

http://www.nationalrugbyfootballleague.com/

Certainly worth paying attention to treating with some respect and acknowledging they may know something about the game and what they are doing.

If memory serves me correctly, this similar strategy to what was used to help establish the Major League Soccer and learning from the mistakes. MLS now average 18,611 fans per game with the average franchise (20 of them) worth $103 million. I believe that the "A League" here has used some of the marketing strategies to build to where they are now using Asia as the vehicle to expand market share.

A perfect example of using different markets to gain revenue is if you watch a Manchester United game, you will see that some of the pitch-side electronic advertising is in Chinese. Its certainty not for the local fans, but worth big $$$.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2012/06/01/GMs-Mancheste-United-Strategy-The-Goal-Is-China

Expanding horizons is no longer about traditional thinking and bums on seats. Its who see's it.

Finally the ARU has some vision and foresight!

T

TOCC

As expected, it has been revealed that the Chicago test will be a profit share agreement which is dependant on the crowd figure.. That's one reason the Wallabies will be in town 2 weeks early, to help drum up some interest..

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Well it will certainly help if we can put in a good result in the championship first.

Easier to promote a contender than a side that gets their assets handed back to them like last year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I wonder if "we" could be looking looking at this all wrong. Are we sure we aren't a side-show novelty promotional item?

So the All blacks have done it. Leicester Tigers V the US Rough Riders captained by Ali Williams (yes that one) were confirmed last April to play in August,

Then there seem to be some interest in the US local press about people wanting to the game:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/nrfl-rugby-usa

And they do seem to be serious about getting a team or 2 together:

http://www.nationalrugbyfootballleague.com/

Certainly worth paying attention to treating with some respect and acknowledging they may know something about the game and what they are doing.

If memory serves me correctly, this similar strategy to what was used to help establish the Major League Soccer and learning from the mistakes. MLS now average 18,611 fans per game with the average franchise (20 of them) worth $103 million. I believe that the "A League" here has used some of the marketing strategies to build to where they are now using Asia as the vehicle to expand market share.

A perfect example of using different markets to gain revenue is if you watch a Manchester United game, you will see that some of the pitch-side electronic advertising is in Chinese. Its certainty not for the local fans, but worth big $$$.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2012/06/01/GMs-Mancheste-United-Strategy-The-Goal-Is-China

Expanding horizons is no longer about traditional thinking and bums on seats. Its who see's it.

Finally the ARU has some vision and foresight!

The Eagles will also be playing Harlequins in Philadelphia three weeks before the NRFL game. It's being billed as a RWC warm up game and will be played at the much smaller MLS stadium with tickets half the price. It could very well sell out. It's interesting as USARugby aren't too thrilled by the NRFL (who have polarised the Rugby community in the States) and there's a suggestion that USARugby may be planning to use their event as a proving ground for their rumoured pro league concept.

It was reported late last year that there were a number of MLS franchise owners were kicking the tyres on the option of expanding their brands into Rugby. This came to light just before USARugby made public their plans to launch Rugby International Marketing (RIM) as their for profit commercial wing. This would allow them to establish commercial products (NFPs aren't permitted to run for profit commercial entities in the U.S.).

What's most interesting is that in the last 3-4 weeks they have announced the Philadelphia game, the Chicago test and just yesterday their hosting of the 2018 7s RWC and have hinted at more announcements being imminent.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Well it will certainly help if we can put in a good result in the championship first.

Easier to promote a contender than a side that gets their assets handed back to them like last year.

Agreed - Wallabies buildup to the RWC 2011 caught the attention of a lot of guys I know who don't normally watch any test rugby outside of the 6N (and that's mostly because our sponsor would host the matches in their pub on a huge projection screen).

Kurtley Beale actually even became a bit of a meme amongst the squad for a few months.

AIG will sponsor the game?

In an indirect sense, I guess. It will still be USAR underwriting the direct costs.

I was referring to AIG pulling on their marketing channels to promote the match, much as they did with the All Blacks test. As the primary sponsor for the Eagles they have a vested interest in the team growing in stature and popularity during the duration of the partnership.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2 weeks before.. fuck me that's 1 week after the last Bledisloe. No break until the RWC. Meanwhile Wales and co. are going to Swiss/Polish/UAE training camps.

T

TOCC

Training camp in Dubai? No thanks...
I've spent many months in that country, and even if it were a indoor field it's not going to be good prep for a World Cup in England.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The squad will spend nine days in Doha from July 20, working under the guidance of the Aspetar Sports Hospital and training at the world-renowned Aspire Sports Centre.
Sam Warburton, Leigh Halfpenny and co will be pushed to their limits in extreme heat that can exceed 40 degrees, the training combined with altitude methods and the players sleeping in hypoxic chambers that can replicate up to 4500m above sea level.

T

TOCC

Yep 40-50 degree heat... Enough said... Have fun with that Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.