• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Radikelous Qantas PC debacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
Stephen Ryan, the chairman of the NSW Aboriginal Land Council said. ''There's nothing funny about the demonisation of indigenous people by non-indigenous people. Never has been, never will be."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-diary/blackface-red-faces-20110828-1jgqw.html#ixzz1WPCm36FP

Correct.... but what the fuck does that have to do with this situation?;
de·mon·ize (dm-nz)
tr.v. de·mon·ized, de·mon·iz·ing, de·mon·iz·es
1. To turn into or as if into a demon.
2. To possess by or as if by a demon.
3. To represent as evil or diabolic: wartime propaganda that demonizes the enemy.

Give me fucking strength!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Hey Hey It's Saturday Jackson Jive skit and the Radike Samo tribute are chalk and cheese.

I agree that the Hey Hey skit was inappropriate and shouldn't have been done however I have no problem with the Samo tribute.

Whilst Australia has no history of blackface comedy, I think we need to be mindful of these sort of issues in this day and age of internet technology. We no longer exist in a bubble and anything that happens here can and will be viewed around the world on the internet within hours of it happening.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
Stephen Ryan, the chairman of the NSW Aboriginal Land Council said. ''There's nothing funny about the demonisation of indigenous people by non-indigenous people. Never has been, never will be."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/the-diary/blackface-red-faces-20110828-1jgqw.html#ixzz1WPCm36FP

de·mon·ize (dm-nz)
3. To represent as evil or diabolic: wartime propaganda that demonizes the enemy.

Radike Samo is of Melanesian origin, not Aboriginal. As noted by others, he has publicly stated that he was not bothered in the slightest.

The PC brigade will actively seek out things to be offended about.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is Stephen Ryan, the chairman of the NSW Aboriginal Land Council saying that all black people look the same?

RACIST!

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think it was of poor taste. I wonder if these blokes were from Brisbane. My Mrs who is Canadian (and they are very PC particularly where she is from) found it offensive. We went past a 'candy' store near the myer centre and saw Golliwog dolls there and was shocked by that also.

Poor form qantas, they obviously didn't pay attention to the Hey Hey it's Saturday/Harry Connick Jnr debacle.

B

Blackjack

Did you know that 'hip, hip hooray' is adapted from the german saying 'hep, hep', which was used as a call to arms used by germans when killing jewish people in the ghettos? Should we ban celebrations with those words, because in another part of the world they have a racist connotation? Fuck that! Sadly, there is enough true racism here without us inventing new shit out of the air.

Apostle

Peter Burge (5)
Qantas is an international company, and it flies to the US. Regardless of whatever people here think, Qantas putting that photo up on their own twitter feed (along with the fact that they gave them free tickets for dressing up like that) was pretty fucking stupid from a PR perspective.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

de·mon·ize (dm-nz)

Excuse me Stephen Ryan. You are initiating racism by not acknowledging that it is a two way street. I will remember this next time I am at the shop and am asked for money or a cigerette only to be called a white c#nt when I decline their request. A c#nt I may be but spececiffically a white c#nt? Yes Stephen Ryan I have just been the victim of a racist remark.

If we are fair dinkum about addressing racism we have to acknowledge everybody is a potential victim of racism.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Pathetic moronic PC losers. They should be tarred and feather (first offence). Then shot with balls of there own shit and boiled in piss (second offence).

What ever happened to Aussie larrikans being applauded for having totally harmless fun for everyone's benefit?
I think they had been tarred and afro'd

Searsy

Herbert Moran (7)
I think it was of poor taste. I wonder if these blokes were from Brisbane. My Mrs who is Canadian (and they are very PC particularly where she is from) found it offensive. We went past a 'candy' store near the myer centre and saw Golliwog dolls there and was shocked by that also.

Poor form qantas, they obviously didn't pay attention to the Hey Hey it's Saturday/Harry Connick Jnr debacle.

This whole thing made me spit my cornflakes all over my computer screen.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The obvious intent was not to ridicule or Radikule (sorry, had to pop that in there) but to support through imitation. The intended recipient saw it this way and it would seem a majority of the forum saw the same. I think Steve Hughes has hit the nail on the head.

[video=youtube;C9HRLvfbauA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9HRLvfbauA[/video]

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Its all because of that arrogant tool Harry Connick Jr having a cry on Hey Hey its Saturday 2 years ago.

What even? That Hey Hey thing was an absolute disgrace, that was legit blackface. I'm really not sure why you would try to defend it.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
This whole thing made me spit my cornflakes all over my computer screen.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. The obvious intent was not to ridicule or Radikule (sorry, had to pop that in there) but to support through imitation. The intended recipient saw it this way and it would seem a majority of the forum saw the same. I think Steve Hughes has hit the nail on the head.

[video=youtube;C9HRLvfbauA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9HRLvfbauA[/video]

Oh my oath, he does hit the nail on the head on that and i agree i have seen that some time ago, and i like showing it to people who are a little bit too PC.

Brown might have been a better option for face paint either way it's not a good look for queensland and their more 'traditional' ways. I laugh it off but it's not a good sell for friends from overseas.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Did you know that 'hip, hip hooray' is adapted from the german saying 'hep, hep', which was used as a call to arms used by germans when killing jewish people in the ghettos? Should we ban celebrations with those words, because in another part of the world they have a racist connotation? Fuck that! Sadly, there is enough true racism here without us inventing new shit out of the air.

Did you also know that the trend of tanning ie looking more black is a trend from Nazi Germany?

The goverment would award cruises to people who had worked hard and their tanned complexion was sign of a hard worker.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Maybe we should try and understand what Stephen Ryan feels, rather than expecting him to "please explain?".

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
All this shouting about political correctness is why most of the world thinks Australia is a racist country. While the intent obviously wasn't racist in this instance, blackface is seen as a symbol of racism almost universally so Quantas (being a global corporation and all,) probably should have had a think about that before they put a picture on their Twitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.