• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The reason JOC (James O'Connor) was absent from the RWC squad announcement...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjg

Frank Nicholson (4)
problem is JOC (James O'Connor)'s lack of respect for team country and teammates. something needs to change in his head, not sure what it will take.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
One more aspect of all this that has nothing to do with JO'C's poor team ethics and responsibilities to his employer, is whether elite athletes should, on fitness grounds, be drinking heavily when they are right in the middle of crucial training and performance periods. Australia has a huge BC game next Saturday. Many fitness and S&C experts who work at the top level will argue that elite teams playing any sport should have a zero alcohol policy throughout all major playing periods, as any alcohol in these periods, especially binge drinking, is not conducive to reaching and holding peak physical performance.

T

Tireless Backrower

One more aspect of all this that has nothing to do with JO'C's poor team ethics and responsibilities to his employer, is whether elite athletes should, on fitness grounds, be drinking heavily when they are right in the middle of crucial training and performance periods. Australia has a huge BC game next Saturday. Many fitness and S&C experts who work at the top level will argue that elite teams playing any sport should have a zero alcohol policy throughout all major playing periods, as any alcohol in these periods, especially binge drinking, is not conducive to reaching and holding peak physical performance.

He's a freakin' winger - why does he need to hold his fitness? What he needs is someone to hold his handbag......

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

Whilst a 'zero alcohol' policy may be the best for physical performance, I don't know how it would affect team morale and mood. I don't mind JOC (James O'Connor) and whoever else going out on the turps for one night in a non-playing week. They have come off a heavy two-week schedule, and needed to blow off some steam. JOC (James O'Connor) is still only 21 FFS.

The problem to me is not that he was out on the town, but overdid it and missed the squad announcement. That shows a distinct lack of maturity and consideration of others- both his teammates and his employer.

sjg

Frank Nicholson (4)
i think that also it is good PR for the players and the game seeing players out. my brother met KB (Kurtley Beale) and burgess last night at the bondi RSL, KB (Kurtley Beale) is his favourite player and was absolutely stoked to meet him and couldnt wait to rub it in my face. it makes the players more accessible, as long as they dont get plastered and disgrace themselves

A

Army_Gav

Anyone got a suspicion this is an elaborate marketing ploy? There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Bench them both at a minimum. I'd rather lay down the law, then win the Tri Nations.

sjg

Frank Nicholson (4)
haha if anything give KB (Kurtley Beale) a pat on the back for showing up...
and yeah, i think that this would classify as bad press for JOC (James O'Connor) ' rugby brand', most had a pretty poor opinion of his attitude/personality before and this only confirms and reinforces popular opinion - hes a little shit.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Maybe he just had better things to do and just forgot to call up sick. This is Australia for Gods sake and we all sound like hypocrites

A

antipodean

Anyone got a suspicion this is an elaborate marketing ploy?
serious.jpg

T

Tireless Backrower

Maybe he just had better things to do and just forgot to call up sick. This is Australia for Gods sake and we all sound like hypocrites

I assume the last sentence is a description and not a criticism

I'll bet my left knacker that everyone on here would have turned up for the roll call irrespective of their substance abuse issues, if any of them had been close to being named in a Wallaby squad

T

TheNextBigThing

Wrong. If I'd been named in the Wallaby squad I'd still be celebrating.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
haha if anything give KB (Kurtley Beale) a pat on the back for showing up...
and yeah, i think that this would classify as bad press for JOC (James O'Connor) ' rugby brand', most had a pretty poor opinion of his attitude/personality before and this only confirms and reinforces popular opinion - hes a little shit.

And you know this, how?

I doubt the majority of rugby fans think JOC (James O'Connor) is a 'shit', although reading this thread, I don't don't doubt there is a cadre of spittle-frothing jealous blokes who do. Some of you need to have a fucking listen to yourselves - and you for a start, sjg. O'Connor has done some great things on the pitch for his country. Have you?

sjg

Frank Nicholson (4)
i dont know this for a fact, but its my opinion on the public sentiment.
jealously is not an issue, i have admiration for JOC (James O'Connor), his talent and sacrifice to what he has achieved so far. and no in my life i have achieved sweet fuck all to contribute to australia, i dont have the talent to do so, i wish that i could but i cant. however i believe that those who do, and those that chose to represent their country - or for that fact super15 or even club - have a responsibility not to fuck it up. no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, there is no denying that, however to disrespect the honor of being selected to represent your country, and to let down your team mates, that is not as easily forgivable. if it emerges that something more serious occurred other than being hungover and sleeping in than i admit that i am in the wrong and overstepped the mark, but as it stands o'connor showed poor character and needs to redeem himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.