• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
The biggest problem The Wallabies have today is not in player selection - it's called Larkham as Attack Coach.

Huge role in any national 15s team. Critical that the occupant is both a proven success in his career and still learning, changing and developing.

Larkham has woefully underperformed for the Brumbies, it's obvious, and it's especially true in their attack. And he's shown very little so far for the Wallabies.

Whilst he's teaching our Wallaby kickers baby steps re how to start to kick accurately, let's hope Mick Byrne can also find a politically correct way to help teach Larkham what good attack coaching is all about. Mick worked with the best of the best for many years and in many campaigns in Wayne Smith at the ABs.

We won't really be able to challenge for the Bled and beat a Jones-coached England until our whole national Wallaby coaching group is big enough and good enough. The recruitment of Byrne is a massive step forward in this essential process and I'll bet he very soon becomes a de facto 2ic and closest confidante to Chek, he'll be a big help to Chek in getting the whole coaching team right.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
A little harsh RH. You might not agree with Larkham's strategy (nor me) but there is a very definite attack stategy in place. This is the best analysis of it I have found.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2016/07/1...-pattern-work-for-australia-and-the-brumbies/

In essense it's a minimum risk strategy that puts forwards on forwatds and backs on backs, minimising the mis-matches. This increases the likelihood on dominance in possession, but the risk reduction leads to fewer line breaks/off passes etc.

If the ABs are continuing with a Hurricanes style rush defense, it will hammer Foley and hopefully we have a second playmaker to help. Otoh, the ABs would tend to not engage their centers as much as they would hope.

It'll be interesting to see what the AB strategy actually is. And then how well the Larkham attavk patterns handle it. Naturally an intelligent tactical kicking game, and a decent LO would help.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Interesting mix from RUPA Awards

Couple of big surprises in there. (Hooper)
016 Volvo People’s Choice Team of the Year:

1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
3. Greg Holmes (Queensland Reds)
4. Rory Arnold (Brumbies)
5. Adam Coleman (Western Force)
6. Scott Fardy (Brumbies)
7. David Pocock (Brumbies)
8. Jed Holloway (NSW Waratahs)
9. Nick Phipps (NSW Waratahs)
10. Bernard Foley (NSW Waratahs)
11. Rob Horne (NSW Waratahs)
12. Matt To'omua (Brumbies)
13. Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs)
14. Sefanaia Naivalu (Melbourne Rebels)
15. Dane Haylett-Petty (Western Force)

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Can't see any surprises there. Think most people would pick Poey over Hooper.

You have to remember players are only seemed to be chosen for the positions they have played most season.

This means Hooper misses out for Poey, Kerevi misses out for Folau.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think the Hooper non selection is huge. Played very well for the Tahs, incumbent 7 for the Wallabies - that was the biggie for me.

Being the incumbent has nothing to do with these selections. Folau is the incumbent fullback but he cannot be picked there because he has played 13 all year.

Poey V Hooper would have been a close call 50/50, but it went to Poey probably because his team went further in the competition.

I'm sure if we ranked the players best to worst, not considering positions, then both would be in the top 10.

I think if you ranked the top performers Kerevi Hooper and McMahon would have been in there.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Being the incumbent has nothing to do with these selections. Folau is the incumbent fullback but he cannot be picked there because he has played 13 all year.

Poey V Hooper would have been a close call 50/50, but it went to Poey probably because his team went further in the competition.

I'm sure if we ranked the players best to worst, not considering positions, then both would be in the top 10.

I think if you ranked the top performers Kerevi Hooper and McMahon would have been in there.

If course players are ranked according to position and performance.
Its not about the top 10 or 20.

These players were "rated" by the poblic

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
If course players are ranked according to position and performance.
Its not about the top 10 or 20.

These players were "rated" by the poblic

Well then it's pretty easy to see why Hooper didn't make it in front of Poey or McMahon (who always has a superb super xv season).

Not sure if you noticed but Hooper has a cult anti-Hooper following and Poey is loved by all.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well then it's pretty easy to see why Hooper didn't make it in front of Poey or McMahon (who always has a superb super xv season).

Not sure if you noticed but Hooper has a cult anti-Hooper following and Poey is loved by all.

Didn't realise McMahon was in the team ahead of Hooper:)

Status
Not open for further replies.