• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SANZAAR have announced the draw for The Rugby Championship 2016:

August 20:
Australia v New Zealand @ ANZ Stadium, Sydney
South Africa v Argentina @ Mbombela Stadium, Nelspruit

August 27:
New Zealand v Australia @ Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Argentina v South Africa @ Estadio Padre Ernesto Martearena, Salta

September 10:
New Zealand v Argentina @ FMG Stadium, Hamilton
Australia v South Africa @ Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane

September 17:
New Zealand v South Africa @ AMI Stadium, Christchurch
Australia v Argentina @ nib Stadium, Perth

October 1:
South Africa v Australia @ Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria
Argentina v New Zealand @ Velez Sarsfield, Buenos Aires

October 8:
South Africa v New Zealand @ Growthpoint Stadium, Durban
Argentina v Australia @ Twickenham, London

They've also announced that the Bonus Point system will be as per Super Rugby, so you'll have to out score your opponent by three tries to get a BP rather than merely scoring four, win or lose.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/rugby-championship-heads-to-london/

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Why do you we always play NZ straight up twice in a Row?
From memory, JON put in place a 10-year deal for playing at Homebush which included playing the Bledisloe there first.

Can't be a**ed looking it up to confirm if I'm right, tho. Either way, it will have to come to an end sometime.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder how many losses in a row we will get. Almost certainly 6. Can we beat SA at Suncorp to stop 7?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I wonder how many losses in a row we will get. Almost certainly 6. Can we beat SA at Suncorp to stop 7?

No we won't beat SA.
Any team with a semblance of competence will use the gameplan the poms used and beat us easily.

Also TBH all the AB's have to do to win any game is turn up because they are simply too good (the games in SA & ARG are gonna be a challenge but they'll pull through, while we will just get steamrolled, as is tradition) :(

T

TOCC

Giteau and Genia returning from Europe will make a difference, a fit again Douglas, To'omua, Beale, Pocock and Tomane will also help improve the team.

Second row, number 8, halves and one wing spot are all up for grabs IMO..

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
History isn't on Douglas's side. Remember the lack of power and pace Horwill showed when he came back from his injury? Remember how long it took him to get some of it back? I think Douglas may be in the same boat.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sorry TOCC I just can't see Giteau and Genia being the lifesavers.

For all the man love being directed Giteau's way after the RWC, he really didn't set the backline alight. I can't be certain, but I don't think he made a single line break in the matches that mattered, nor was he instrumental in putting supports through. His best aspect as far as I can recall was his cover defending. That really isn't what we need right now.

Will Genia was in very poor form before going overseas. He was not a certain starter and there was a lot of debate about him being in the 23 at all. He will need to have improved a hell of a lot while he was away.

IMO we need very quickly to get our much lauded coaching team working on the weaknesses of the players we have at our disposal. Halfback is a problem area, but some proper attention to Phipps, Frisby and Powell might bring better results than an out of form Genia. Similarly, Foley, Beale, Lealiifano and To'omua offer a good base to improve the way we play through the all-important No 10 spot.

My preference, both short term and with the RWC 2019 in mind would be to keep going with and develop what we've got.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
For all the man love being directed Giteau's way after the RWC, he really didn't set the backline alight. I can't be certain, but I don't think he made a single line break in the matches that mattered, nor was he instrumental in putting supports through. His best aspect as far as I can recall was his cover defending. That really isn't what we need right now.

In the ARG match he had 1 defender beaten & no linebreaks in any match. Can't find any stats on linebreak & try assists

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Sorry TOCC I just can't see Giteau and Genia being the lifesavers.

Will Genia was in very poor form before going overseas. He was not a certain starter and there was a lot of debate about him being in the 23 at all. He will need to have improved a hell of a lot while he was away.

IMO we need very quickly to get our much lauded coaching team working on the weaknesses of the players we have at our disposal. Halfback is a problem area, but some proper attention to Phipps, Frisby and Powell might bring better results than an out of form Genia. Similarly, Foley, Beale, Lealiifano and To'omua offer a good base to improve the way we play through the all-important No 10 spot.

My preference, both short term and with the RWC 2019 in mind would be to keep going with and develop what we've got.

Our backline attack is mostly fine. We scored a lot of tries. Gits will make a difference because of his left foot boot, our exit strategy dramatically improves with Gits in the team.

But having said that, I agree with your overall assessment that it still won't make a huge difference. The problems are much wider then fixing a few backline issues - the backline is much better then the forwards.

Their is simply no easy fix in the forwards, and no players in Europe coming back that will dramatically change anything. Even Douglas at his best won't be a huge change - and I doubt he will be close to his best anytime soon.

Our front rows need to step up, and I agree, our locks and number 8 remain a huge problem - we are consistently outplayed here.

Status
Not open for further replies.