• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
World Rugby have appointed the match officials for The Rugby Championship 2018:

https://officiating.worldrugby.org/?page=appointments&id=79

TLDR: Peyper, Barnes & Poite are doing the Bledisloes, Jackson & Garces Australia v SA, Lacey & Peyper Australia v Argentina. We get Owens & Gardner v SA, Gauzere & Raynal v Argentina.

TMO-wise there's no Skeen or Ayoub.

Just quickly re: NZ v Argentina in Nelson, the local Council & Tasman RU are installing temporary seating that will take capacity up to 21K & they're already nearly all sold.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Peyper has to be one of the most inconsistent refs going round these days. Not looking good for the Bledisloes, but in saying that I appreciate a few ABs fans here are going to accuse me straight away of looking for excuse and to blame the ref. Not that at all, he is inconsistent across all teams, so we won't know until the day what his impact will be, but bloody sure it will be less favourable to one side than the other.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
So - what changes, if any, from the team who played the Irish.

I assume TPN will come in, with BPA to slip out of the 23 & Latu keeping his spot on the bench. BPA may even miss the squad if Cheika goes with Fainga'a.

TK in for Kerevi. I previously thought Rona would get the gig, but TK has found his form and I think past deeds will get him the gig.

Otherwise I think everyone is fit and the most interest will initially be in 1-2 squad spots, and then, after that I think just in the make up of the bench.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I know think Reece Hodge is a must pick and I’d have him at 13. I’d probably have him there if Kerevi was fit. With brilliance like Beale, Folau, Koroibete etc I think you need some balance and a rock solid player like Hodge would be a tremendous asset.

He’s such a super talented player - I think close to our most well round talented player and he should be in the team.

I don’t think he’s a 10, with Foley still being our best option there (and Beale probably after that) I think Hodge must be there.

TK was fine the other night, best he’s been this season but I dont think it’s enough to command a test jersey. I also don’t think Rona is test standard.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Reg, Koriobete again this weekend showed that he has big problems defensively. Sure, he can tackle hard when he's following a kick and takes the catcher as he's standing still, but is often out of position in defense and more likely than not to either miss or fall off a tackle on a player coming straight at him at pace. It's a problem he's had all year long, and really should put his spot in the team under question. With my Brumbies hat on, I think I'd rather see Banks in his place in the test side.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
^^^
This. Banks is a smart player as well. Not too many of those around at the moment.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I agree Banks deserves a place somewhere in the 23 (but don't think he will get first dibs in first few games of RC), and TK and Hodge should be in the 23 as well. Rona was really outside bet for 13 b4 game against the Brumbies as really not done enough in my view to be top of mind choice for 13, and after TK completely overshadowed him last weekend, he is almost now out of mind and sight for the moment as far as wallabies 23 selection.

Assuming a 5/2 bench, I reckon TK will start at 13 and with likely Phipps and Hodge on the bench and for banks to get a gig would have to oust Koribete for a starting wing position with DHP not under threat. TK will get the 13 as proven performer at 13 whilst Hodge will be cursed for his utility value.

I don't think banks will get first dibs but suspect he will get a go at some stage during the RC.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Reg, Koriobete again this weekend showed that he has big problems defensively. Sure, he can tackle hard when he's following a kick and takes the catcher as he's standing still, but is often out of position in defense and more likely than not to either miss or fall off a tackle on a player coming straight at him at pace. It's a problem he's had all year long, and really should put his spot in the team under question. With my Brumbies hat on, I think I'd rather see Banks in his place in the test side.
I haven’t been very impressed with the Rebels defensive work as a backline at all this year though. I don’t think they communicated very well in defence and the winger often had to face a two on one or a one on one where their opposite had a lot of space in attack. With Kurindrani running the show I think Koroibete will be much better for the Wallabies and was better for the Wallabies against Ireland.

I’m a big fan of Banks but I think it makes more sense for him to play in the dual fullback/wing role where he is more involved in the kick return. If he plays in place of Koroibete as the pure winger it would negate some of his best assets.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I know think Reece Hodge is a must pick and I’d have him at 13. I’d probably have him there if Kerevi was fit. With brilliance like Beale, Folau, Koroibete etc I think you need some balance and a rock solid player like Hodge would be a tremendous asset.

He’s such a super talented player - I think close to our most well round talented player and he should be in the team.

I don’t think he’s a 10, with Foley still being our best option there (and Beale probably after that) I think Hodge must be there.

TK was fine the other night, best he’s been this season but I dont think it’s enough to command a test jersey. I also don’t think Rona is test standard.
No way. We got away with Kerevi at 13 primarily because the Irish didn't string more than two passes together all series. TK all the way.

Hodge is wing or bench utility.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Has a squad sans Waratahs been assembled yet? I remember this happened last year (sans Brumbies in that instance), they didn't announce it though. They had 'development' players filling in for the finals players in the interim.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Too risky to start Hodge at 13 given not been playing there all season. Start with TK and Hodge on the bench. TK less risky proposition at 13 at this point given finding end of season form and proven performer at 13 for Wallabies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Argentina squad: Forwards: Matias Alemanno, Rodrigo Bruni, Marco Ciccioli, Agustin Creevy, Lucas Favre, Diego Fortuny, Santiago Garcia Botta, Santiago Grondona, Marcos Kremer, Ignacio Larrague, Tomas Lavanini, Juan Manuel Leguizamon, Pablo Matera, Vivas Mayco, Santiago Medrano, Franco Molina, Julian Montoya, Javier Ortega Desio, Guido Petti, Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro, Juan Zeiss. Backs: Gonzalo Bertranou, Emiliano Boffelli, Sebastian Cancelliere, Tomas Cubelli, Jeronimo de la Fuente, Bautista Delguy, Joaquin Diaz Bonilla, Bautista Ezcurra, Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, Martin Landajo, Juan Cruz Mallia, Matias Moroni, Ramiro Moyano, Matias Orlando, Nicolas Sanchez.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...ers-to-argentina-squad-for-rugby-championship

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
South Africa

Forwards: Cyle Brink, Jean-Luc du Preez, Thomas du Toit, Pieter-Steph du Toit, Eben Etzebeth, Steven Kitshoff, Siya Kolisi (captain), Francois Louw, Wilco Louw, Frans Malherbe, Malcolm Marx, Bongi Mbonambi, Franco Mostert, Tendai Mtawarira, Sikhumbuzo Notshe, Marvin Orie, RG Snyman, Akker van der Merwe, Marco van Staden, Warren Whiteley

Backs: Lukhanyo Am, Ross Cronjé, Faf de Klerk, Aphiwe Dyantyi, André Esterhuizen, Elton Jantjies, Jesse Kriel, Willie le Roux, Makazole Mapimpi, Lionel Mapoe, Lwazi Mvovo, Embrose Papier, Handré Pollard, Ivan van Zyl, Damian Willemse

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lest we forget it's happening:

South Africa v Argentina

Date: Saturday, August 18
Venue: Kings Park, Durban
Kick-off: 17:05 local (16:05 BST, 15:05 GMT)
Referee: Ben O’Keeffe (New Zealand)
Assistant referees: Angus Gardner (Australia), Andrew Brace (Ireland)
TMO: Simon McDowell (Ireland)

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 Makazole Mapimpi, 13 Lukhanyo Am, 12 André Esterhuizen, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Handré Pollard, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Siya Kolisi (c), 6 Francois Louw, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Tendai Mtawarira
Replacements: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Thomas du Toit, 19 Marvin Orie, 20 Marco van Staden, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Lionel Mapoe, 23 Damian Willemse

Argentina: 15 Emiliano Boffelli, 14 Bautista Delguy, 13 Matias Moroni, 12 Bautista Ezcurra, 11 Ramiro Moyano, 10 Nicolas Sanchez, 9 Gonzalo Bertranou, 8 Javier Ortega Desio, 7 Marcos Kremer, 6 Pablo Matera, 5 Matias Alemanno, 4 Guido Petti, 3 Juan Figallo, 2 Agustin Creevy (c), 1 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro
Replacements: 16 Diego Fortuny, 17 Santiago Garcia Botta, 18 Santiago Medrano, 19 Tomas Lavanini, 20 Tomas Lezana, 21 Martin Landajo, 22 Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, 23 Juan Cruz Mallia

Bokke by 10-15, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.