• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Rugby Championship 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

aeneas

Tom Lawton (22)
Argentina is up big against SA. But they have stopped playing and are attempting to protect their lead. That might be a bad idea. Bokke are lifting.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bledisloe retained it's onwards & upwards, starting with Argentina in Nelson on 8 September. An early indication of who probably won't be required:

Released All Blacks

Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Counties Manukau vs Taranaki, August 29

Ardie Savea, Wellington vs Southland, August 31

Luke Whitelock, Canterbury vs Bay of Plenty, September 1

Nehe Milner-Skudder and Liam Coltman, Manawatu vs Otago, September 1

Shannon Frizell and Tim Perry, Tasman vs North Harbour, September 1

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...die-savea-among-released-abs-for-mitre-10-cup

Sam Cane passed his HIA & given they've released Ardie you'd have to think he'll play. More surprisingly Shag reckons Crotty will be available but he's not so sure about SBW.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...neup-for-argentina-as-they-look-to-grow-depth

Personally I wouldn't be risking Crotty, I'd give him another week then 50-odd minutes in Wellington the week after Nelson to see if he's OK for the road trip.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ he was NZ U20 before the 'tahs got their hands on him, maybe we should be asking you guys for the answer to that one......

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
From what i saw of him he's not much better than he was at the Tahs, just think you are scraping the barrel a bit at prop.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
lol. He's like, what, maybe 6th choice? I'd rather we put Tu'ungufasi there and found another TH prop to sit on the bench. If he was playing for Manawatu in 2015 (from the start of the season, presumably) Ala'alatoa must be eligible now. Or Laulala, if he's back from injury.

EDIT: So this site has him listed as having played 10 matches for Manawatu in 2015. And Wikipedia says that Manawatu played 10 matches in 2015. Ergo, he was there from match 1 in 2015. That match was played on the 16th August, 2015. Add the three years eligibility qualification and you get exactly two weeks ago. Assuming that's all correct, get that son of a bitch in the squad.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
lol. He's like, what, maybe 6th choice? I'd rather we put Tu'ungufasi there and found another TH prop to sit on the bench. If he was playing for Manawatu in 2015 (from the start of the season, presumably) Ala'alatoa must be eligible now. Or Laulala, if he's back from injury.

EDIT: So this site has him listed as having played 10 matches for Manawatu in 2015. And Wikipedia says that Manawatu played 10 matches in 2015. Ergo, he was there from match 1 in 2015. That match was played on the 16th August, 2015. Add the three years eligibility qualification and you get exactly two weeks ago. Assuming that's all correct, get that son of a bitch in the squad.
Or, alternatively, let him play for his country of birth :D

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
One reason for Ta'avao making the squad is that Jeff To'omaga-Allen damaged his knee for Wellington v Cantabs & is out for an indefinite period.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/p...ted-knee-helps-open-the-door-for-angus-taavao

Sounds like Karl Tu'inukuafe will start v Argentina in Nelson:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=12116339
Ta'avao was actually more solid in the scrum than To'omaga-Allen from what I saw this year. I'm sure Hansen and co. will be monitoring the scrum closely as it was the only (slight) blip in last weekend's match for NZ but the front row reserves seem to be just about dry.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^^^^^^ we've certainly churned through some props in the last coupla years, haven't we? The upside I guess is that there's now a larger than usual group of guys who've be in the AB environment & consequently the coaching staff will have a better gauge of their capabilities than would otherwise be the case. Also in Hames last year & Tu'inukuafe this year they've unearthed some talent that might otherwise have ended up in the French D2 or English Championship.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Shag has declared Cane & Crotty "symptom-free" therefore available for selection v Argentina. SBW due to return to contact training this week & possibly available v SA:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby...y-in-frame-for-return-sonny-bill-williams-out
Dude needs to google long term health effects of consistent brain injuries. There is pretty good evidence that even small collisions have a cumulative effect. How fucked is his nog gunna be after 7 full blown concussions?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Dude needs to google long term health effects of consistent brain injuries. There is pretty good evidence that even small collisions have a cumulative effect. How fucked is his nog gunna be after 7 full blown concussions?

Maybe he is just silly enough to take medical advice from doctors etc, and not google huh? How dumb can you be! I must admit I would be a bit iffy playing him, but then again I like many have only done my diagnosing on the net!

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Maybe he is just silly enough to take medical advice from doctors etc, and not google huh? How dumb can you be! I must admit I would be a bit iffy playing him, but then again I like many have only done my diagnosing on the net!
I mean, yeah, cause self diagnosis is generally pretty supid. Buuuut also nah. I'm sure all those NFL players that blew their brains out after developing brain trauma related depression had plenty of medical professionals telling them they were fine.

Doctors are wrong all the time, plus googling potential consequences of smashing your brain constantly isnt'exactly self diagnosis.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This being Tuesday it was Foster's turn to declare Crotty & Cane symptom-free & available for selection on Saturday:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/a...ared-fit-for-all-blacks-selection-on-saturday

In days of old we called this running it up the flagpole to see if anyone salutes.

EDIT: not much saluting so far afaict. All Hell will break loose if either of them gets selected then has to come off with a head knock. I'm confident the medical staff are all over it but it's not a good look when the NZR-standard stand-down for community rugby is three weeks for the first concussion & the rest of the season for a second concussion in the same season.

Status
Not open for further replies.