• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The tour of Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
As we all know the Wallabies will be heading to Europe after the third Bledisloe later this month. While we have all heard of Team Rehab/Injured 15, I feel that the tour should be a development tool to prepare for the B&IL tour next year. First question, should we be playing our best in all positions or trying to bring some new players? (Eg. Hugh Pyle, Paddy Ryan, Scott Fardy, Ben Mowen, Andrew Smith, Mitch Inman)

But as a supplementary, is this a good idea for the tour? We could lose our top 4 seeding in the world cup if we have a bad tour, but we could just screw up the B&IL and the 2015 World Cup if we don't develop some good players. Compare what (could be) the best we have with a development team

Best
Palmer, Moore, Alexander, Timani, Sharpe, Dennis, Hooper, Samo, Phipps, Beale, Ioane, O'Connor, McCabe, Shipperly, Ashely-Cooper

Development
Ryan, Hanson, Cowan, Fardy, Pyle, Kimlin, Gill, Mowen, Prior, Holmes, Mogg, Inman, Smith, Kingston, Coleman

I'm in now way suggesting that we throw a team of next to no caps against Europe's finest, but what if we played this team one week
Ryan, Moore, Alexander, Fardy, Sharpe, Kimlin, Hooper, Samo, Phipps, Beale, Ioane, McCabe, Smith, O'Connor, Ashley-Cooper​

And then the next week we played this team
Palmer, Moore, Cowan, Pyle, Sharpe, Dennis, Gill, Mowen, Phipps, Beale, Ioane, O'Connor, Inman, Ashley-Cooper, Coleman​

and saw who would do well with further development for the other two tests?

grousehouse

Bob McCowan (2)
Haven't we already 'developed' enough players over the last couple of months? Hopefully won't need a squad of 40 for the Lions like we have needed so far this season.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would someone who is able mind changing the title to "The purpose of the tour of Europe" or something of the sort?

Trying to find 30 fit players, we'll have to blood some players. What I want to work out is the sort of extent to do it at.

Status
Not open for further replies.