• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The TV Broadcasting of Australian Rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
To be fair to nine, Foxtel may well have sold them the rights on condition they did have delayed coverage, helps keep their subsciptions up.
Considering it's been LIVE numerous times since they've got the rights, doubt it.

It's purely because Nine want to retain viewers after the League.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
It's purely because Nine want to retain viewers after the League.

Nonsense. It's because rating would be higher for League that this test.

It SHOULD trump, because it's a national team, but reality is it doesn't matter.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's a simple equation for 9 that they get more viewers overall for the night if they show the NRL live on the main channel with something completely unrelated on GEM (The Karate Kid for example) and then show the rugby after the Loig has finished.

If they show the rugby at the same time as the NRL they split a bit of their sport watching audience and lose people who would have watched something different (The Karate Kid) to another channel.

Anyone who really cares about the rugby is either going to have Foxtel, go to someone's house who has Foxtel or go to a rugby watching pub. If none of those options are possible they will sit through the League and watch the rugby afterwards.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Nonsense. It's because rating would be higher for League that this test.

It SHOULD trump, because it's a national team, but reality is it doesn't matter.
Obviously the League would rate higher, hence why they've delayed it.

They sell this to potential advertisers on the grounds of, we'll have X thousand viewers watching the said League game, and this much potential to retain them post-game into the Rugby coverage.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It's a simple equation for 9 that they get more viewers overall for the night if they show the NRL live on the main channel with something completely unrelated on GEM (The Karate Kid for example) and then show the rugby after the Loig has finished.

If they show the rugby at the same time as the NRL they split a bit of their sport watching audience and lose people who would have watched something different (The Karate Kid) to another channel.

Anyone who really cares about the rugby is either going to have Foxtel, go to someone's house who has Foxtel or go to a rugby watching pub. If none of those options are possible they will sit through the League and watch the rugby afterwards.

You have to wonder why Nine wants to fork out the money for the rugby!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You have to wonder why Nine wants to fork out the money for the rugby!

It's probably a relatively small cost to protect their key product.

I'm sure they still get some value out of it on delay and it means Channel Ten (or someone else) can't be showing it live and taking some NRL ratings away.

With 9 not in the greatest financial position (to put it mildly) it will be interesting to see if they can continue to do this sort of thing in the future.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Unfortunately I am screwed, hosting a housecooling party (realised the date too late to change) and dont have Fox.

Anyone who wants to bring fox to my place tomorrow night gets a case of beer, and their choice of half an hours music playlist!!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ Duck out to the nearest pub for an hour or two. There is a good chance you may not be missed if you play your cards right,

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So during Shawshank Redemption every ad break they advertise the rest of the NRL finals but I haven't seen one mention of the Test tomorrow... Sabotage job.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I find Channel 10 to give the best rugby news and promotion of the major stations by far. It recieved more discussion than the mungoball on The Project last night. They prob missed out by sweet F all money at the end of the day and the extra support and coverage would have made it worthwhile. This ARU board is so shortsighted and so far up it's own ass, is it any wonder things are getting worse?

Anyway, a test up against mungo finals would make for some interesting viewing results. Well, at least more interesting than the 'quality' journalism that follows a test match.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Channel 9 is just using the Foxtel feed. I'm watching 9 through my Foxtel box but for some reason the picture is sharper than what I watched on the Foxsports channel. Don't know if that's possible.

Oh yeah, the ads are a pain. Just remembered why I have Foxtel.

XVProps

Herbert Moran (7)

Sorry mate, can't agree with you. I care a great deal about Rugby, and love the sport. I cannot afford fox, and have three young kids, so I want to have the opportunity to watch international Rugby live and not when it suites channel 9. I sat through the league and watched the Rugby, but still think that nines decision to broadcast a game that is only popular on the eastern seaboard of Australia, over an international match is appalling to say the least!

Status
Not open for further replies.