• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies problem positions: Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grandmaster Flash

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Who is it going to be V Scotland with only Reds and Force players available?

Will Quade have enough runs on the board or be fit? Lucas at 10? Fainga'a at 12? Cummins 13?

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
I would pick Lilo in heartbeat, think he has been fantastic. Keep Kurtley at 15, still not sold on him at 10.

I agree with this. I have previously thought that Lilo was a solid Super Rugby level player but may not have been able to make the step up to Test level. This year he has come ahead substantially and looks like a Wallaby contender. Kurtley performs so much better when he has time and space and I think 10 limits that for him.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good point. Seeing as the Tahs are playing the weekend before the Scotland test, maybe Robbie Deans will request that Foley doesn't select Hangers so he can play for Australia.

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
I can't believe no one has mentioned these yet;

- Alicadoos (no idea what that is but I guess it's JON)
- Director of Rugby (Deans)
- Coaching Coordinator (Totality)
- Director of Head Coaching (XXXX)
- Defense Coach
- Line Out & Forwards Coach
- Forwards Coach
- Backs/Kicking Coach
- Scrum penalties Coach

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
9 is the bogey spot for us. Genia is capable and one of the best in the world, but in reality he is not in great form. Daylight is next in line. Our backup nine is a big issue. We do have upcommers worth trying though. 13 is the next problem spot. It got worse with the loss of Taps. We have our suspects though they are either not playing the position, are injured or out of form.

P

Paradox

9 is the bogey spot for us. Genia is capable and one of the best in the world, but in reality he is not in great form. Daylight is next in line. Our backup nine is a big issue.

Nick White. I'll say it again. Nick White.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I would pick Lilo in heartbeat, think he has been fantastic. Keep Kurtley at 15, still not sold on him at 10.

Indeed and on form Kurtley would be on the bench for mine and Mogg get a start. I know Robbie in his great winning wisdom will give KB (Kurtley Beale) the 15 jersey so we can enjoy the aimless chip kicks and grubbers at test level.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
9 is the bogey spot for us. Genia is capable and one of the best in the world, but in reality he is not in great form. Daylight is next in line. Our backup nine is a big issue. We do have upcommers worth trying though. 13 is the next problem spot. It got worse with the loss of Taps. We have our suspects though they are either not playing the position, are injured or out of form.

At 13 it just might be worth looking at Tom Carter. At least you will know he can be counted on to run straight and retain the ball, and a better defender you will be hard pressed to find. If not then try something different and go with Inman. If more pace is required Cummins or Shipperly would also do the job. However we all know Horne will be picked regardless of form.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah... Nic White has to be a certainty for the bench at least...

And I don't want to hear about a 5/2 bench split...

Deans should not have persisted in wearing out Genia last year when it seemed pretty clear that bringing Burgess on with 15-20 minutes to go lifted the tempo.

On form Nic White would start, but since we know that's not going to happen he can at least inject himself late into the game...

Lilo should also start at 10 with McCabe at 12... they're the form combination at the moment.

The idea of shifting Beale from fullback to play flyhalf is just going to add unnecessary complications.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mogg could be a smokey for the bench as he could cover fullback and wing...

But I would still start with Beale... he's not in great form but he's still a classy player...

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nick White. I'll say it again. Nick White.

At the moment he would be the logical choice. And I would like to see him in the national setup. In reality, I think Robbie will pick Genia, with Phipps as his backup.

If White is picked, I would hate to see the same thing that happened to Phipps last year happen to White. Phipps had a cracker of a super season last year, but was blooded internationally too early. It has showed with his subsequent confidence and form. Only now is he starting to get his game back together.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
KB (Kurtley Beale) is a world class 15. Let's not go too far g-man...

Sorry post me some links to where he has played "world class" in tests. He is a very good player who hasn't gone close to reaching his potential, which is world class from the glimpses we have seen. At this stage there are far better performing players than KB (Kurtley Beale). But then I had this argument last year regarding Elsom and others and they turned out how after I was derided for holding those views?

Status
Not open for further replies.