• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies problem positions: Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
BMan, he has demonstrated more than anyone else in the current Wallaby setup, the ability to control a game with his boot - particularly at test level - see world cup. I'm not saying he is great at it but he is better at it than any of the other options at 10/12.

The only thing he's demonstrated is the ability to kick it loads of times in a game. That doesn't make him good at it, it just makes him good at kicking away valuable posession and giving the AB back three lots of opportunity to counter-attack.

RE wet games or northern hemisphere games: Give me Gerrard, any day.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Barnes is an international quality 12. I still remember his form from the RWC game against Wales, and subsequently on the EOYT.

His form at the Tahs hasn't been great but it hasn't been terrible either. I think he has trouble running a backline, and he will do better with a quality 10 playing inside him.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Gerrard isn't a 12 or 10 though.

So? Forgive me for being old fashioned, but wasn't Latham lauded as a genius fullback for his ability clear from the inside his 22, and set the lineout beyond the opposition 10m line? Precisely what Gerrard has been doing year in year out since 2003?

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
gerrard is easily the best tactical boot in australian rugby.
i still think he should be involved in the wallaby set up in some sense.

take him to nz and the northern hemisphere every time.

KB (Kurtley Beale) is still the best full back in aus. foley and mogg are new and in vogue, but not tested over any duration.

we should get a view as to how he performs at 10 in the coming weeks for the rebels. i rate barnes immensely. hope he is 12 for the wallabies. 13 i'd go cooper or mccabe. but deans seems to prefer a hard nosed straight running 12 so barnes might be an inside back sub.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Gerrard's issue is he became a one trick pony after the knee? injury. He was much less effective running the ball which had been a strength and whilst he still kicked well (by far the longest in Oz) he has been charged down quiet a bit due to his technique. He has also been known to go for too much distance in pressure situations and miss the touch.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So? Forgive me for being old fashioned, but wasn't Latham lauded as a genius fullback for his ability clear from the inside his 22, and set the lineout beyond the opposition 10m line? Precisely what Gerrard has been doing year in year out since 2003?

No, Latham was lauded as a genius fullback because of this:

Mark Gerrard is, and should not be in Wallaby contention.

Bernie_Larkham

Herbert Moran (7)
My take on the trouble spots - Horwill and Sharpe (if he is indeed available). The rest are pretty even. Jones looks the "toughest" of the rest and his work rate is massive. Pyle is still like a 2yo colt. Needs to mature a bit. Douglas I havent seen enough of.

6/8 is Higgers and again its a balance. I think we could throw in 5 or 6 combos and get a similar result for the backrow. Dennis, Mowen, Palu, Vaea, McCalman etc etc. Higgers playing a bit tighter than a few giving him credit for too.

Back up 9 - White, White and White. Its a no brainer. Phipps missed tackles left right and centre and his pass is laboured, pnics under pressure. Ha d a great last year but fear 2012 is more likely indicator of his quality. WHite tackles, runs, kicks and passes beautifully FROM THE DECK.

10 - Lilo - runs a BL better than anyone bar Cooper in AUS. Not a powerful leg but is improving since the start of the year. Can run, pass (long and in the tackle), tackle. Likely that McCabe is 12 so another positive to have him there. Kicking goals pretty well too.

Barnes is average. He offers courage in defence and kicks the ball non-stop. Cant create, cant beat a man, passing average. Not up to it! NSW would be better with him at 15 and Foley at 10. Or go back to league and play 9...

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The last few times I've seen McCabe play he looks like a young Mortlock: massive effort in going forward together with an all-knees-and-elbows running style. He's even got the all-body swerve Snorky used quite successfully. It'd be nice to see how he goes at outside centre for the Brumbies with a view to a run at 13 for the Wallabies.

Status
Not open for further replies.