• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I read somewhere that Holmes wants to go, but hope not!

Will Tomane be fit? If he is not fit for TRC, is there any point keeping him on the books purely for the EOYT considering he is going overseas? Speight, Naiyaravoro and Naivalu will all be available for the EOYT with Horne & Folau, and then in Europe you would have AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Mitchell & Beale as covers as they are a) nearby & b) eligible 60+

Don't let TPN leave!

Could you release Pocock as he is 60+ and could simply just choose to stay anyway?

Should release Gill otherwise the Reds are having to fork out a hell of a lot of money for maybe an NRC appearance or 2.

Fuck it's NRC - If keeping Gilly for a couple of games cost anything I'd let him go. What's the point........ Give another bloke the chance to shine

Reactions: mst

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gills on mor ethen a couple hundred, and its not a couple months, its 5.

Once they get released here, they are fully the responsibility of their new club (medicals, salary etc)

I'd be letting Gill (unfortunately excess) and Tomane & Beale (injured) go, but keeping TPN & Holmes. Not phased either way with To'omua

T

TOCC

Forgot about that. On that basis he won't be needed by the Wallabies.

I don't know exactly what happens regarding his contract. Presumably he keeps getting paid by the Brumbies until he is healthy enough to start his new contract overseas.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

RUPA CBA has players contracted up until 31 Dec, unless they are released earlier by recripiocal arrangement to take up a new contract elsewhere. It could be that Tomanes new club would prefer he conduct rehab at their club in which case he would be released from the ARU/Super Rugby contract and start his new one early.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)

Once they get released here, they are fully the responsibility of their new club (medicals, salary etc)

I'd be letting Gill (unfortunately excess) and Tomane & Beale (injured) go, but keeping TPN & Holmes. Not phased either way with To'omua

Is a players contract finish at the end of the calendar year?

Do Super players have to play NRC (included in contract) for no EXTRA money

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I have no idea what Gill is on but for a Super Rugby only contract it is hard to see it being much more than $300k given the minimum contract levels and the salary cap.

By a couple of months I meant that if he was kept around it would likely be for some or all of the Rugby Championship, not until the conclusion of his contract on 31 December.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I have no idea what Gill is on but for a Super Rugby only contract it is hard to see it being much more than $300k given the minimum contract levels and the salary cap.

By a couple of months I meant that if he was kept around it would likely be for some or all of the Rugby Championship, not until the conclusion of his contract on 31 December.

SADLY, Gill has never been in Chek's plans with Pocock, Hooper and McMahon ahead of him. He has been used as an extra at Wallaby Camps to make up some numbers, but never really in consideration for the match day 23

Let the bloke go and start earning some real money

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is a players contract finish at the end of the calendar year?

Do Super players have to play NRC (included in contract) for no EXTRA money

Correct, it's a part of their contract that they play. They do NOT get extra money for NRC, but also some have been 'rested', given leave, excused if they are in wider wallaby squads, some even have gone to ITM Cup.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Have been collating the data for the Aussie Front Rowers and it's not pretty as far as choices for Wallabies selection and work rates compared to our key oppositions.

For some time now I've been highlighting that our Front Rowers have a focus on the set piece and have little involvement around the park. Is this the lack of fitness that Cheika is talking about?

LHP1.jpg

LHP2_2.jpg

Some similar stats for the ABs regular Front Rowers at the RWC.

AB Front Row.jpg

In the RWC Final the ABs Front Row made 42% of the ABs Total Ruck Involvements and 35% of the Defence Ruck Involvements.
The same numbers for the Wallabies Front Row were 29% and 16%.

Note: Dane Coles has more of a roving brief and is often used as a ball carrier within 5m of the side line. He may have few Ruck Involvements but he's very effective.

The Wallabies Front Rowers had the following averages at the RWC.

RWC Front Row.jpg

RWC Front Row 2.jpg

These stats show that some of our players provide a higher work rate in Test rugby than in Super Rugby.

Key Ruck Involvements from England FRs from June Tests:
Mark Vunipola - 16 Total - 11 Attack - 5 Defence
Dylan Hartley - 30 Total - 26 Attack - 4 Defence
Dan Cole - 22 Total - 16 Attack - 6 Defence.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Have been collating the data for the Aussie Front Rowers and it's not pretty as far as choices for Wallabies selection and work rates compared to our key oppositions.

For some time now I've been highlighting that our Front Rowers have a focus on the set piece and have little involvement around the park. Is this the lack of fitness that Cheika is talking about?

View attachment 8203View attachment 8204

Some similar stats for the ABs regular Front Rowers at the RWC.

View attachment 8205

In the RWC Final the ABs Front Row made 42% of the ABs Total Ruck Involvements and 35% of the Defence Ruck Involvements.
The same numbers for the Wallabies Front Row were 29% and 16%.

Note: Dane Coles has more of a roving brief and is often used as a ball carrier within 5m of the side line. He may have few Ruck Involvements but he's very effective.

The Wallabies Front Rowers had the following averages at the RWC.

View attachment 8206

View attachment 8207

These stats show that some of our players provide a higher work rate in Test rugby than in Super Rugby.

Key Ruck Involvements from England FRs from June Tests:
Mark Vunipola - 16 Total - 11 Attack - 5 Defence
Dylan Hartley - 30 Total - 26 Attack - 4 Defence
Dan Cole - 22 Total - 16 Attack - 6 Defence.

FF (Folau Fainga'a)
Tanks for that - brilliant work but

You forgot Scott Sio in the Super Tables
and do we add Slips together:)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Sombre reading @forcefan. I thought the all black effort in the final wad an outlier and not normal?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Considering it is his debut season, I like those numbers on Scoble. It'll be an interesting battle between him, Roach, Ready and Hanson when Moore hangs up his boots. Exciting to have so many good prospects- not to mention Siliva Siliva and a few others.

I wonder how Damien Fitzpatrick will go at the Tahs. He was a very promising youngster before injuries.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Forcefan.

Do the stats indicate a different style or game plan that is influencing the ruck involvements? I am wondering who is doing the work to cover the front rowers and what impact it has on attacking options / structures etc.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Forcefan.

Do the stats indicate a different style or game plan that is influencing the ruck involvements? I am wondering who is doing the work to cover the front rowers and what impact it has on attacking options / structures etc.

We place a very big burden on our Back Row and often on our Backs because of our general lack of ruck involvement from our Tight 5.

If our Back Rowers and Backs are busy at the breakdown then they're not being available to carry the ball.
And as the stats show our Tight 5 certainly aren't making up for them with ball carries.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sombre reading @forcefan. I thought the all black effort in the final wad an outlier and not normal?

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

The numbers for the ABs Front Row are averages over ALL of the RWC.
There is no doubt that the ABs brought their 'A" game to the RWC.

Some AB average involvements (per 80 minutes) from the short TRC 2015:

Tony Woodcock - 35 Total - 26 Attack - 9 Defence
Owen Franks - 26 Total - 23 Attack - 3 Defence
Dane Coles - 13 Total - 11 Attack - 2 Defence

The 2 Props are still more involved than any of our Props.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
On average there are about 20-30 Line Outs per game.

On average there are 15-25 scrums.

On average there are about 160-180 rucks and about 540 Ruck Involvements.

Perhaps I should explain why I reckon a player's Ruck Involvements are so important.
I think that they are a great indicator of an individual's work rate and effort for the team - to be able to stand up to the tough contact when required.
It always amazed me that there were no stats published on who was doing all of the work at the breakdown.
So I started collecting the data myself.