• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
"the ARU have seen that skills aren't as good as they could be and found someone to improve them"

@Sully - that is exactly what my problem with this whole situation.

I find it unbelievable that Phipps (and others in their respective fields) can't identify their own issues and fix them up themselves. Why do they have to wait for the ARU to have to fix it up?

That is why I maintain the line that they are not doing their most to win - the extras are quite clearly not being done by the players in order to address their own issues.

They should take some ownership of their own issues and fix them - *then* they would be doing their best.

I have no doubt they are doing their best on the field on game day, but I don't believe they are doing their best during the week though given the poor skills on display.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jeez I feel for Phipps after he has been reamed out with a large and very rough Pineapple on here.

I reckon for a Tah :))) he's pretty good overall, He has a skill that needs improvement.

Don't the rest of them as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Would be interesting if the microscope or blow torch was applied to Hooper (though I suppose it already has to a degree), Pocock, Folau, FARDY, TK, Moore etc etc etc in respect of one aspect of their play.

They do - just in different threads and discussions.

But the original post that sparked this:

God I hope this is the year the 'Phipps can't pass' myth dies and never comes back.

It's patently false, and doesn't stand up to even the slightest scrutiny.

deserves to be answered.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Has a list been posted of which players are actually at the current Wallabies camp?

There's a headline of FoxSports Rugby which gives hope "Who's In and Out of the Wallabies Squad" and then absolutely no detail.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I KNOW ...all it said was that timani and robertson were there. DETAILS. Would shed a bit of light on injury updates aswell

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I KNOW .all it said was that timani and robertson were there. DETAILS. Would shed a bit of light on injury updates aswell

I suspect it might be a looky-loo and / or opposed training. Both are prospects. I reckon the more guys like this get some exposure to the Wallaby program, the better. Even if they're a way off selection.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
errorausrugby_zpsjns6tlfi.png

Reactions: gel

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Okay guys just calm down a little.
Yes Phipps hasn't the best pass around but that is fixable and the ARU have seen that skills aren't as good as they could be and found someone to improve them.
Yes Phipps misses some rucks but if you look a little harder you'll find it's usually when someone has tackled or held him up to intentionally stop him from doing that. A better thought would be why are we waiting for the half back to arrive when their are a dozen other players who could pick the ball up and do something with it.
Yes Phipps has brain fades in the second half of the game. So why is he still there when we all know it happens? We have replacements. Good replacements so why not use them.
There are a lot of things that can be improved with how we play so lets not destroy players for things that are much wider issues.

All those faults appear to be coaching (or lack of coaching) issues. Lets really hope that Byrne can do something about it, and while he's at it, teach Foley how to kick in general play and how to get the backline attacking as a cogent unit, then teach Kerevi to play as a second play maker because one is needed to supplement Foley's offerings, after that teach TK to beat a tackle and to run fast, then when he's done all that teach Folau how to kick long in general play.

In Mick Byrne we trust.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
apaz english & dempsey were at the camp also. I imagine for training purposes they would have stacked them up as the Brumbies guys were not required. Still great to get that exposure. Wouldn't be surprised if Naivalu was there also to learn the ropes in hope of getting a spot on the EOYT along side a power packed wing selection with Naiyaravoro & Speight (presuming they wont use AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) & mitchell for that one)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Silly question, does a player playing Super Rugby or signed for a Super Rugby side become eligible for the Wobs?

Or does it have to be an Aus Super Rugby side?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think they're pretty much only doing fitness this week.

My guess is that the fact that no official squad has been announced means that this week is voluntary (i.e. you better fucking be here but you're not getting paid for it).

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Silly question, does a player playing Super Rugby or signed for a Super Rugby side become eligible for the Wobs?

Or does it have to be an Aus Super Rugby side?

The Digby to Crusaders signing had me wondering just this also. Not that I think he'll be putting his hand up for selection any time soon but in general terms I can see distinct advantages with picking a Wallaby that has played and trained all years with the Crusaders players.

No idea why we restrict it to Aus S15 teams. Surely playing Super Rugby should be enough?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Yeah and Allan Ala'alatoa

They play in the same comp and are being paid\developed by another country's money

Mike Ala'alatoa.

It might be an insurance thing. My understanding is that insurance coverage is needed when a player contracted with a different team is brought into the squad. The same isn't needed when it is an Australian team.

Next season it looks like there will be three Aussie players playing Super Rugby for non-Australian teams with one a former Wallaby (Ioane, Quirk, Ala'alatoa). I don't think the ARU would look at changing the rules unless there was a lot more players in the same situation.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't know, they changed the eligibility rules for just one player prior to the RWC. ie the Giteau Clause. Changing a second rule for three players should be a given!

*removes tongue from cheek*

Seriously though, bloody insurance kills countless splendid ideas!