• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The argument around Moore is reminiscent of the same one surrounding Gregan for two years before his retirement.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I can sympathise Mr D, but Cheika is signed for the next three years. It won't happen. But there might be moves against Grey and Larkham if things don't improve.

I think Cheika is the sort of bloke that if any real pressure came from the ARU he would tell 'em all to get fucked and walk away (with a nice negotiated settlement)

I think he is a bit dented ATM but is there for the long haul.Also he needs to be a little less pig-headed in saving certain players.

To me, there are no REAL alternatives, certainly Australian ones anyway.

Agree BR re Larkham and Grey and chuck Mario L in there as well.

Reactions: Tip

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
The argument around Moore is reminiscent of the same one surrounding Gregan for two years before his retirement.
I disagree. Gregan was kept for his on field leadership skills. Moore doesn't have good on field leadership. Refs won't talk to him because he behaves like a child and he is prone to give away silly penalties.

The only similarities I see is that there are other players (Chris Whitaker and TPN) who may be better suited to starting.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I disagree. Gregan was kept for his on field leadership skills. Moore doesn't have good on field leadership. Refs won't talk to him because he behaves like a child and he is prone to give away silly penalties.

The only similarities I see is that there are other players (Chris Whitaker and TPN) who may be better suited to starting.

There were plenty of arguments made against Gregan's leadership as well for being "yappy". There was also the very serious question that his form did not warrant selection at all and the leadership thing just didn't justify it when Whits was in far better form. Indeed Gregan was benched when both played for the Wicks.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There were plenty of arguments made against Gregan's leadership as well for being "yappy". There was also the very serious question that his form did not warrant selection at all and the leadership thing just didn't justify it when Whits was in far better form. Indeed Gregan was benched when both played for the Wicks.

Both are also bald. Jesus there's more coincidences between Squeak and Greegs now!!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Both are also bald. Jesus there's more coincidences between Squeak and Greegs now!!

I cast no aspersions on the follicularly challenged. Whilst I have retained enough not to get a sunburnt scone, I would hate to raise the ire of less fortunate brothers, especially a certain Mod who may take a one eyed view of such comments. :)

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I cast no aspersions on the follicularly challenged. Whilst I have retained enough not to get a sunburnt scone, I would hate to raise the ire of less fortunate brothers, especially a certain Mod who may take a one eyed view of such comments. :)

I can take a dim view with both eyes open, as you well know!! ;)
Plus, Gregan mainly just shaves it - saw him up close not long go and it's a choice. He's taunting true cue-balls like moi.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
silly penalties?

Yeah, silly penalties. Did we not have a penalty reversed against the English for Moore's hot-headed interference? Came in late after one of the English overplayed Phipps.

I recall another recent one of blatant stupidity at a ruck- it was either the last English game or the first Bledisloe- memory fades.

That is off the top of the head from recent tests. It is a bit pointless to go back through half a dozen games or so to find incidences where Moore was a turkey. I stand by what I said.

T

TOCC

Sure..

1 silly penalty which I don't remember, but il take your word for it, and another one which you're unsure of the game or details, but that makes a 100 cap wallaby prone to silly penalties.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Geez, this year has the potential to be a season from hell for us. The Wallabies are one from 6 so far, but have another 9 tests to go (ARG X 2, SA, ABs, Grand Slam, France) of which only one game is at home. There are only 3 rest weekends (test match free) between now and our last game on 3 Dec so there isn't really going to be much chance to change a whole lot up from here on in either.

We need to win 7 of our last nine to have a winning record this year. Not sure if that matters, nor if it is realistically achievable.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Sure..

1 silly penalty which I don't remember, but il take your word for it, and another one which you're unsure of the game or details, but that makes a 100 cap wallaby prone to silly penalties.

So if there are 3 games left in the Rugby Championship- what would you need to concede the point? I would be happy to rescind what I have said if Moore gets through 2 of the remaining games without a silly penalty. I think we would both agree on what is silly and what is not.

T

TOCC

Force field, I'm not here to win an argument, your comment just pricked my interest as I don't have Moore pegged as a player who gives away sill penalties, I racked my brain over his performances the last 2 years and I can't think of multiple examples, i assumed you knew more. I have zero interest in watching the next few Wallabies matches just to determine whether a penalty Moore gives away is deemed silly or not.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Ok, no worries. No argument necessary. I can't rattle off a bunch about Rob Simmons but I would peg him the same way. But out of respect for your point of view, I will look at it more closely all the same.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Geez, this year has the potential to be a season from hell for us. The Wallabies are one from 6 so far, but have another 9 tests to go (ARG X 2, SA, ABs, Grand Slam, France) of which only one game is at home. There are only 3 rest weekends (test match free) between now and our last game on 3 Dec so there isn't really going to be much chance to change a whole lot up from here on in either.

We need to win 7 of our last nine to have a winning record this year. Not sure if that matters, nor if it is realistically achievable.

Many a squeaky bum moment ahead for the Wallabies and their fans I think.

I guess the home nations will smell blood if the Wallabies don't have a strong finish to the RC.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It'll definitely be interesting.

Wales start with their new coach, and domestic players only.

Then you boys play us, we'll be out for a little bit of revenge and a few of the non Glasgow Boys will be looking to impress Toonie.

Les Blues in Paris is always a tough ask.

Ireland in Dublin after they've played the ABs twice.

Then Eddies England at Twicks.

With two tour games and a bunch of players looking for BILs tour spots.

Don't get me wrong, you should beat Wales, us, France and Ireland, but it's potentially not going to be easy.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It'll definitely be interesting.

Wales start with their new coach, and domestic players only.

Then you boys play us, we'll be out for a little bit of revenge and a few of the non Glasgow Boys will be looking to impress Toonie.

Les Blues in Paris is always a tough ask.

Ireland in Dublin after they've played the ABs twice.

Then Eddies England at Twicks.

With two tour games and a bunch of players looking for BILs tour spots.

Don't get me wrong, you should beat Wales, us, France and Ireland, but it's potentially not going to be easy.
Been thinking (dangerous pastime) whilst everyone says the pooper is dead and definitely will be in 2017 with poey off on his sabbatical, who could turn into a world class 8. Might not be there yet but potential. I mean does anyone seriously think timani could be a world class 8? Could Holloway? Or is there someone else in the shadows? And I do mean with world class potential - not someone who could fill a gap which includes recycling past failures. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Ned Hanigan is one that interests me here. Not sure how much 8 he's played but he's played 6.

He strikes me as a Tim Gavin style player and had similar measurements to Kieran Read.

Obviously we'd like to see him get some game time there in super rugby which may be a challenge with Jed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk