• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
What are Hooper's clear shortcomings? I think he is the obvious choice, immediately IMO.

I think he is still developing in his ability to deal with referees (which is something we have struggled with across a number of captains) and whilst he's a great lead by example sort of guy I don't know he's that compelling leader of men that would be most desirable.

I agree that he is the obvious choice but I don't think he's such an outstanding choice that Moore will be demoted immediately.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Genia is probably the other option but he hasn't got a lot of captaincy experience.

After last season I think genia would've started this season as captain, but only if he was based in Australia. I don't think there's anyway we can have an overseas based captain though.

It's probably worth making the change early anyway though, give the new captain some experience in the relatively easy June tests, before the RC. Not convinced on hooper but with genia not an option he's definitely the front runner.

It'd be great if they brought someone in to consult as a "captain's coach" to work with the leadership group on things like referee management.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hooper is a player who expends a huge amount of energy during a game. He is worth 2 men to his team.

Personally, I would not like to see him take on the additional burden of captaincy.

Don't ask me who I would pick, though. The first requirement is that the player must be a first choice Wallaby. Not too many of those at the moment.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Hooper is a player who expends a huge amount of energy during a game. He is worth 2 men to his team.

Personally, I would not like to see him take on the additional burden of captaincy.

Don't ask me who I would pick, though. The first requirement is that the player must be a first choice Wallaby. Not too many of those at the moment.
Dean Mumm?

N

NTT

Does anyone know who was invited, names and franchise, to the Wallaby get to together on Monday?

Google has been of little help finding this information.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Does anyone know who was invited, names and franchise, to the Wallaby get to together on Monday?

Google has been of little help finding this information.

Someone posted on the front page that this was the group that attended.

Props
Scott Sio
Sef Fa’agase
Allan Ala'alatoa
Taniela Tupou

Hookers
Stephen Moore

Locks
Izack Rodda
Kane Douglas
Rob Simmons
Rory Arnold
Sam Carter

Backrow
Adam Korczyk
Lopeti Timani
Scott Fardy

Halves
Joe Powell
Quade Cooper

Centre
Reece Hodge
Kyle Godwin
Samu Kerevi
Duncan Paia’aua
Tom English
Tevita Kuridrani

Back three
Eto Nabuli
Marika Koroibete
Henry Speight
Izaia Perese
Sefa Naivalu
Karmicael Hunt

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)

Props
Scott Sio
Sef Fa’agase
Allan Ala'alatoa
Taniela Tupou

Hookers
Stephen Moore

Locks
Izack Rodda
Kane Douglas
Rob Simmons
Rory Arnold
Sam Carter

Backrow
Adam Korczyk
Lopeti Timani
Scott Fardy

Halves
Joe Powell
Quade Cooper

Centre
Reece Hodge
Kyle Godwin
Samu Kerevi
Duncan Paia’aua
Tom English
Tevita Kuridrani

Back three
Eto Nabuli
Marika Koroibete
Henry Speight
Izaia Perese
Sefa Naivalu
Karmicael Hunt
Richard hardwick, Curtis Rona, Adam Coleman, DHP, TPN, jermain ainsley all attended/invited from the force

Could be more but that's all I know

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Richard hardwick, Curtis Rona, Adam Coleman, DHP, TPN, jermain ainsley all attended/invited from the force

Could be more but that's all I know

I had heard some of those names (there was a Payto article about it) but can't work out when it happened.

I thought it was on the Sunday in Canberra after the Brumbies v Reds game (with the Rebels having a bye) and the Force played on Sunday and the Tahs were in NZ on the Friday.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
how the fuck did Higs not get an invite. He is clearly playing the house down

There's controversy around this every single year, and IIRC, with two or three exceptions, this training squad is generally selected prior to the opening round of super rugby for logistical reasons. My reckoning is that the "incident" in February would have seen him scratched from this specific camp.

N

NTT

Props
Scott Sio
Sef Fa’agase
Allan Ala'alatoa
Taniela Tupou
Hookers
Stephen Moore
Locks
Izack Rodda
Kane Douglas
Rob Simmons
Rory Arnold
Sam Carter
Backrow
Adam Korczyk
Lopeti Timani
Scott Fardy
Halves
Joe Powell
Quade Cooper
Centre
Reece Hodge
Kyle Godwin
Samu Kerevi
Duncan Paia’aua
Tom English
Tevita Kuridrani
Back three
Eto Nabuli
Marika Koroibete
Henry Speight
Izaia Perese
Sefa Naivalu
Karmicael Hunt

Thanks. I don't think that is the complete list though as Force players are not there.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Thanks. I don't think that is the complete list though as Force players are not there.

It excludes anyone from Waratahs and Force. Again, this was just posted on the front page daily news so take it with a grain of salt.

If the meetup in Canberra continued on the Monday, I guess the Force players could have flown over for that and the Tahs driven down. Both have byes this weekend so weren't pressed to get home.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Current Wallabies (or tourists) to be dropped from their Super Rugby side this year:

Nick Phipps
Stephen Moore
Nick Frisby
Rob Simmons
Andrew Ready
Kane Douglas
Scott Fardy (maybe just rested)

Anyone else?

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Moore is rested. Hope Higs is in Gold frame. With Holloway out of sorts, Dempsey injured and not playing the house down, Mccalman yet to be seen and Mcmahon only getting in 1 week before the test series, have to think that Higs is a good chance for the no. 20 jersey with Fardy, Timani and Hoops starting.

Who is back up to Hooper if Mcmahon isn't right? Who will be the next wallaby (potentially) 7 if hoops goes down? Alcock is my pick, but Fainga'a or maybe even Hardwick?

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
I'm worried for Higgers in the Gold Jersey.

The last time he played for the Wallabies under Cheika he was hooked halfway through a game for seagulling in the tram tracks.

1 months later Chieka changes game plans and plays Hooper & Fardy as default winger 3/4'ers. Higgers would have been a valuable asset in Gold over the last 18 months.

One of his biggest assets is he's a genuine line-out competitor, especially in defence at 2 (front). He's so quick off the ground and steals quite a lot of ball.

Hopefully he has a clear, defined role - one that suits him.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
There's controversy around this every single year, and IIRC, with two or three exceptions, this training squad is generally selected prior to the opening round of super rugby for logistical reasons. My reckoning is that the "incident" in February would have seen him scratched from this specific camp.

Really, would someone like Curtis Rona have been selected before the opening round. Must be another Koroibete, although he looks a lot better atm.

Top Bottom