• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It excludes anyone from Waratahs and Force. Again, this was just posted on the front page daily news so take it with a grain of salt.

If the meetup in Canberra continued on the Monday, I guess the Force players could have flown over for that and the Tahs driven down. Both have byes this weekend so weren't pressed to get home.

I understand it was a three day get together.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Really, would someone like Curtis Rona have been selected before the opening round. Must be another Koroibete, although he looks a lot better atm.
I think so yeah.

Chieka likes getting new options in for a look very early on.

Meakes, Houston, Koroibete were in the first training squads they were available for. I think Nabuli was too.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I love the inclusion of Meakes. He strikes me as a Cheika-style player. Hard, direct and skilful. Loves confronting the opposition too, which is a trait that successful Cheika coached teams have had.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Whatever team you put out in the Summer will be enough.

You'll beat Fiji's forwards, which will win you the game.

You'll beat Italy because they're Italy.

And you'll beat us because you're better than us at full strength and we'll be missing at least 4-6 of our best side between Injury and BILs duty.

So you should just select for the Championship.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Barring injury,

15 Folau
14 Speight/Naivalu
11 DHP

23 Hunt/Naivalu/Speight

Might need the Tahs to start playing Izzy back at 15.

T

TOCC

Folau isn't in form and isn't playing fullback, and others like DHP who are in form and playing fullback offer a kicking game that Folau can't bring to the Wallabies, honestly struggling to understand how Folau can be the starting fullback based on this season

T

TOCC

I will caveat that with, Folau is that talented that i don't think he should be dropped from the starting side, i actually think wing will benefit him more.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Folau should be wing but won't. Cheika as usual will have all teh players moving around into different spots left right and centre. Folau will do set moves at 13. Go back for counter attacking opportunities at 15 and defend normal play probably on the wing so DHP can organise the field positioning. Such a mess.
13. Kerevi
Wings. Speight & DHP
15. Folau

23. Horne/Naivalu

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Folau isn't in form and isn't playing fullback, and others like DHP who are in form and playing fullback offer a kicking game that Folau can't bring to the Wallabies, honestly struggling to understand how Folau can be the starting fullback based on this season

Folau was moved back to fullback but then went back to 13 when Horne got re-injured. Assuming Horne is fit Folau will be back at 15 from now and Clarke will go back to the wing. But I agree, DHP offers more at fullback and Folau should be used as a finisher.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

I will caveat that with, Folau is that talented that i don't think he should be dropped from the starting side, i actually think wing will benefit him more.

This raises the question, are we coaching to much structure, rather than free flowing support the ball rugby. Izzy is gifted, but are we taking away his gifts through structure?

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Speight
12. Karmichael Hunt
13. Folau
14. ?
15. DHP
Potentially move Khunt to 15, DHP to the wing but need to find a 12. Folau is a better defender than Kerevi and more dynamic than Kuridrani.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Based on last 12 months form Israel SHOULD be dropped but no-one has the balls to do that. DHP should be fullback with Hunt being backup.

To me the really interesting question is over Moore, not only as hooker but also captain.

It seems Latu is the obvious choice based on form but he also, whilst getting turnover ball, leaks quite a few penalties. Ready has not impressed at all this year but Mafi did last weekend. Hanson will be in the mix for a start or bench spot.

IF Moore is dropped by Cheika, who becomes captain ? The chorus out there will be calling for Hooper. IMO he is not captain material. I don't believe (just my opinion) he is a team man but puts himself first.

Foley will be one of the first blokes picked. I don't know whether he has ever captained but he seems well respected by the group and a much more measured man than Hooper.

Whilst I disagree, I think Moore will be retained as captain for the mid year tests and then be tapped before the EOYT.

To me, that will be the most interesting selection position.

Luckily for us those tests SHOULD be quite easy wins

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems Latu is the obvious choice based on form but he also, whilst getting turnover ball, leaks quite a few penalties. Ready has not impressed at all this year but Mafi did last weekend. Hanson will be in the mix for a start or bench spot.

TPN has been in pretty good form this season.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
^^^^^^
Bh

I'd be very surprised if Taf plays for the Wallabies again.

You have Moore hovering and a few good prospects including Latu, Hansen, Mafi, Ready and probably some others in the wings.

Time to look ahead methinks