• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Ball has to go in front of a moving target. Pass it to space, scrum half, not to the man.

Absolutely, which is why I want Phipps to develop a more rounded game (and pass accurately more consistently). When he's playing well he puts the ball out in front for the big dogs to run onto.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I am excited about where some of the prospective scrum-half talent will be at the end of the 2016 Super season. Nick Frisby, Nic Stirzaker and Ryan Louwrens have shown some glimpses of greatness.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm betting our scrummies will be

Phipps
Stirzaker
Powell

Stirzaker has the best pass in Aus, if he can get some consistency in the rest of his game he'll go far. Plus he's an angry ginger, and we don't have the option of Peter Kimlin anymore.

Powell obviously a big bolter call, but he was very, very good for the Vikings and looked so completely composed at all times. He's mentally tough, and didn't ever think twice about whacking opposition forwards out of the way if needed.

Has a lot of Gregan about him.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Summed up perfectly fatprop. If Lilo got his running game back he'd be close but the last couple of years he's had no where near the running threat of Foley.

Are there any young 10's coming up the ranks with a strong running game?

He's been getting dicked around a lot without any real consistancy, but he was starting to look very dangerous again in the NRC.

Hopefully, Bernie does the right thing and plays hima t ten next year and he can get some consistent gametime in one position.

His kicking is the frustrating thing. That is the biggest thing he needs to regain, the consistency in kicking. The rest of his game is good enough, but I would want him to work on getting his passes out in front of the man again, they've been a bit Genia-esque for a year or so.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Problem is its hard to pick someone who's nit a regular starter for their super side, unless you're an idiotic selecter in years previous where Paddy Ryan was the backup tighthead, doy.

Cubelli isn't coming to the Brumbies to play backup. Think it'll be Phipps with incumbency, Frisby and Stirzaker fighting for bench shot,depending on form and who Chieka thinks suits his style better, with Louwrens the potential bolter if he gets the starts ahead of an aging Mattheson.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Problem is its hard to pick someone who's nit a regular starter for their super side, unless you're an idiotic selecter in years previous where Paddy Ryan was the backup tighthead, doy.

Cubelli isn't coming to the Brumbies to play backup. Think it'll be Phipps with incumbency, Frisby and Stirzaker fighting for bench shot,depending on form and who Chieka thinks suits his style better, with Louwrens the potential bolter if he gets the starts ahead of an aging Mattheson.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

Don't think that's as bad as it first sounds. I like the looks of Frisby and even more-so Stirzaker.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Frisby may end up becoming a great 'finisher' but I'm not totally sure if his style of play will translate as well to 60+ minutes of test rugby. Then again, I could be entirely wrong and he ends up being the perfect fit for Cheikaball with his game.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seeing as we nearly did it at the RWC i guess 2016 is as good a time as any to give the Grand Slam a crack!

http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsAr.../Wallabies-announce-2016-Grand-Slam-tour.aspx

Big tour with 2 mid week games as well! I hope 1 is against a tier 2 European team, though I doubt that'll happen.

So the Wallabies will play 15 test matches next year, which is quite a lot of rugby. Though there will also be only 15 matches for each Super Rugby team as well (in the regular season) next year.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I tend to agree. It's why I think young Tuttle may usurp him sooner than we think.

That's interesting. Tell me, in that case is it worth a more determined shot at playing Frisbey at 10? I really rate this Bloke.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Absolute ridiculous tour right after a RWC. ARU learn nothing, the losses will once again damage the brand of the Wallabies. Stop whoring the team out for $$, they'll lose more overall once the performance drops from unable to put out the best side each week.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Question: So when is it about 'the team', and when is it about the 'individual'?!
I am, of course referring to Israel Folau.
Should he have declared his on-going painful ankle injury, or should he have continued to play like an "average # 15" from any suburban or country club? After all, it was the 2015 RWC?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'm betting our scrummies will be

Phipps
Stirzaker
Powell

Powell obviously a big bolter call, but he was very, very good for the Vikings and looked so completely composed at all times. He's mentally tough, and didn't ever think twice about whacking opposition forwards out of the way if needed.

Has a lot of Gregan about him.

I'm pretty sure that Genia now qualifies under the 60 test rule, and won't be surprised if he remains the test No 9 next year, particularly for EOYT.

I am also a believer in Powell's skills, but next year may be just too soon. Won't be at all surprised if he does surpass the likes of Frisby and Stirzaker in a couple of years though.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Absolute ridiculous tour right after a RWC. ARU learn nothing, the losses will once again damage the brand of the Wallabies. Stop whoring the team out for $$, they'll lose more overall once the performance drops from unable to put out the best side each week.

Eh?

Who else is there, France?

The Wallabies are looking good, and confident. Why not go there and try and nail the grand slam and do something even our 99-01 side didn't manage to do?

It'd be a huge morale boost!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Question: So when is it about 'the team', and when is it about the 'individual'?!
I am, of course referring to Israel Folau.
Should he have declared his on-going painful ankle injury, or should he have continued to play like an "average # 15" from any suburban or country club? After all, it was the 2015 RWC?

Don't really follow this one. What do you mean by 'declare'? You know they have physios and scans and stuff, not like he was hiding it from the staff or anything.