• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not sure when anyone pretended that Bullrush? In any case, regardless of whether Kaino is playing at 6 or not, the pick and drive is surely a legitimate tactic? It's all about being able to varying our game and not running the pill through the same channel. That would be worse.

Reactions: gel

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Settle down, Bullrush. You're trying to make the point that Kaino is the Hulk who will smash pick and go runners (and I think Pfitzy meant forwards) so I was curious you chose him smashing a winger 4 years ago as the example, and having a gentle dig . No-one doubts Kaino hits hard.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Settle down, Bullrush. You're trying to make the point that Kaino is the Hulk who will smash pick and go runners (and I think Pfitzy meant forwards) so I was curious you chose him smashing a winger 4 years ago as the example, and having a gentle dig . No-one doubts Kaino hits hard.

Watch him play. It's not unusual for him smash the pick and go runners back or stop them dead in their tracks behind the gain line. Forwards or backs.

I've missed the gentle dig too - my bad.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Please don't pretend that Kaino is not one of the biggest and hardest hitters in the game today.

o_O

What the actual fuck?!!

I make a post about rugby tactics, you make a tangential point about Kaino. Without warning, because we don't immediately join you in your little black-shirted bukkake-fest we're slagging the bloke?

If you're trying to turn this into something where we have to worship anything and everything All Black, you're on the wrong site. I can guarantee it.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

Come on cyclopath, Digby might be a winger but he runs harder then most forwards! He was our main man to get over the gain line for a couple of years. What Kaino did to him in the RWC was immense.... but yeah it was 4 years ago...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Come on cyclopath, Digby might be a winger but he runs harder then most forwards! He was our main man to get over the gain line for a couple of years. What Kaino did to him in the RWC was immense.. but yeah it was 4 years ago.
He's also about 25 kg lighter than Kaino. But as I said, it was a bit tongue in cheek, which everyone seems to be missing. I'll just shut up now.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
o_O

What the actual fuck?!!

I make a post about rugby tactics, you make a tangential point about Kaino. Without warning, because we don't immediately join you in your little black-shirted bukkake-fest we're slagging the bloke?

If you're trying to turn this into something where we have to worship anything and everything All Black, you're on the wrong site. I can guarantee it.

Here's the actual fuck.

My point was that your 'rugby tactic' about doing a few pick-and-go's may not have been as effective a you think because the ABs are actually very good at defending against it and Kaino in particular is a beast at driving players back in the tackle - even in the pick-and-go.

It's not tangential at all. The tangent was implication that Kaino had only done it against smaller players.

As I stated earlier - I missed the 'gentle dig'.

So piss off with this bullshit about me trying to make everyone worship the ABs.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
The original point being made is that the pick and go is missing from the strategy and adding it occasionally would be a good move in terms of variety and keeping them guessing.

Not that we should pick and go at the All Blacks best players every time as our only means of go forward.

What's the fuss?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The original point being made is that the pick and go is missing from the strategy and adding it occasionally would be a good move in terms of variety and keeping them guessing.

Not that we should pick and go at the All Blacks best players every time as our only means of go forward.

What's the fuss?

Exactly. As I said earlier in the thread, it's a legitimate tactic and one that we'd do well to have in our armoury. The presence or otherwise of Kaino isn't that relevant in context of it being part of a general game plan. It's not that we should do it 100% of the time, just that we should mix it up and do it some of the time to keep the defence guessing.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Just need to trust the coaching team to avoid the "pick and flop" of recent (pre-RWC) times.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Exactly. As I said earlier in the thread, it's a legitimate tactic and one that we'd do well to have in our armoury. The presence or otherwise of Kaino isn't that relevant in context of it being part of a general game plan. It's not that we should do it 100% of the time, just that we should mix it up and do it some of the time to keep the defence guessing.

I definitely thought it was missing from the Wallabies in the final and if used effectively can draw in players even from the very best defences.

Perhaps Douglas could've provided that as a decent carrier close to action, but even with his injury no one else stepped into that void, so it tells me that it wasn't really a clear tactic to be used on the night.

The ABs occasionally use their backs to pick up ball at the base and go - Nonu, Savea and even Skudder. But these are moments when several forwards in the opposing defence have been drawn into the ruck. I've seen Tomane used like this at Super level to pretty good effect, so perhaps something to consider in the future.

Kangaroo Sausage

Peter Burge (5)
The All Blacks talk a lot about "momentum shifts" during a game. They often use the pick and drive for multiple phases early in the second particularly in games where they've gone into the break down a few points down so I see it as a tactic to hold possession, wear the opponent down and bring the game back to their terms. So it is a useful weapon to have when the game may be getting away from you.

Sent from my SM-T705Y using Tapatalk

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
To be honest;

Currently, the All Blacks are a better Rugby IQ team than anyone in the world. They are also the most ruthless of the lot in taking their opportunities, not only the try scoring and line breaks but the lead up play from position 1-15 and the creative style is becoming second nature at the moment meaning everyone is a threat.

It's not to say that Chieka ball is the right or wrong game plan but what's making it right at the moment is that the players are believing and that's what they haven't had in previous years.

Small changes;
IMO we need our pack confident using the ball short/long passes, at the moment we are very workmanlike and that reverts us to playing one or two passes off the ruck relying on front foot ball by bashing into the opponents. How often do you see the All Blacks forwards in a pod of 4 running straight up the guts one after another?

In the backline I wouldn't mind seeing someone with a big frame help Kuridrani out, if we can pull away some attention from him it will open up spaces for more one on one opportunities. The All Blacks have a number of powerful backs Savea, Nonu, Fekitoa, SBW who often cause that but they are roothless in finishing off opportunities matching power with precision and skill, the other area in which as a backline we are far behind the Blacks. Imagine a Nadolo on the end of a Wallaby backline, life would be good!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Here's the actual fuck.

My point was that your 'rugby tactic' about doing a few pick-and-go's may not have been as effective a you think because the ABs are actually very good at defending against it and Kaino in particular is a beast at driving players back in the tackle - even in the pick-and-go.

It's not tangential at all. The tangent was implication that Kaino had only done it against smaller players.

As I stated earlier - I missed the 'gentle dig'.

So piss off with this bullshit about me trying to make everyone worship the ABs.

Here, this will help:

http://www.thesilverfern.com/

Click on "Forums" and set up an account. You'll fit right in.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
As with all other tactics and skills is how it's executed. Too often in the past wallaby teams have attempted it off static ruck ball. That is easy pickings for dominant tacklers/ruck defenders of which Kanno is just one. Executed at pace with the attacking player hitting the line very quickly after the ruck they can be past the defender's leading shoulder before they can set and those dominant tackles don't happen. Off static ball may as well paint a target on yourself and run the risk of turning over the next ruck/tackle contest. Dynamism and execution is the key.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
As with all other tactics and skills is how it's executed. Too often in the past wallaby teams have attempted it off static ruck ball. That is easy pickings for dominant tacklers/ruck defenders of which Kanno is just one. Executed at pace with the attacking player hitting the line very quickly after the ruck they can be past the defender's leading shoulder before they can set and those dominant tackles don't happen. Off static ball may as well paint a target on yourself and run the risk of turning over the next ruck/tackle contest. Dynamism and execution is the key.

Totally agree. A pet hate of mine is chucking the ball to a static pod of forwards. I'd rather kick for territory in that situation. I think Cheika is a big one for bodies hitting the line at pace, in close or out wide. That's a strategy I can get behind and when the Tahs played their best footy over the last couple of years that's what they were doing consistently.