• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Young XV that could break into the Wallabies by 2019
Allan Ala'alatoa
Alex Mafi
Taniela Tupou
Ryan McCauley
Lukhan Tui
Ned Hanigan
Lolo Fakaosilea (no chances any time soon for a tradition openside)
Ross Haylett-Petty
Harrison Goddard
Nick Jooste
Harry Jones
Sione Tuipulotu
Campbell Magnay
Onehunga Havilli
Andrew Kellaway

Rowan Perry would have to be considered for No 7, as would Joe Powell for No 9. Did you have an age limit in your mind when nominating the young team?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Rowan Perry would have to be considered for No 7, as would Joe Powell for No 9. Did you have an age limit in your mind when nominating the young team?
Not really but I checked and they're all under 22.

A #7 would either have to be so freakishly good or all of Hooper, Pocock, McMahon, and Gill would have to be injured at the same time for anyone to get a Wallabies cap in that position by 2019. Perry will have to wait. Good players though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ Not many mobs have won a World Cup with a bunch of Youngsters.

Someone did something for the front page blog (I think) and nearly all RWC Winning Teams have had an average age of late 20's - around 27 IIRC.

Never underestimate the native cunning that comes with experience. It beats youthful exuberance every time.

It's important to get the balance right.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Time to think ahead of the curve and consider how the game will evolve in the next four years and am to be at the forefront of that wave. Will the up tempo game that the wallabies, ABs, Argentina Japan et al played remain dominant or will Gatland ball risk averse rugby come back to the fore. What other developments will we see in terms of law interpretation that will impact on structures. The game has changed sometimes dramatically after each RWC.For me I think speed, skill and evasiveness over size will become again a prime selection consideration in the backs especially wingers. We need to be thinking outside the box and developing a game and players ahead of that curve.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Who hurt you?

The continual idiocy of the fuckwitted strikes at my very soul.

The only language the idiot understands is simple abuse put in the simple and most aggressive terms.

Alas, due to the ongoing scourge that is the Dunning-Kruger effect (that's a thing - click it), they will never appreciate the scale of their wrongness.

I consider it a calling to try and correct these errors plaguing our forum, though I fear most of it is in vain.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Is it true that MC is off to the UK to coach?
If so, don't give too many secrets away Michael, and keep an eye out for those pesky English photo-journalists!!

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
^^^^ Not many mobs have won a World Cup with a bunch of Youngsters.

Someone did something for the front page blog (I think) and nearly all RWC Winning Teams have had an average age of late 20's - around 27 IIRC.

Never underestimate the native cunning that comes with experience. It beats youthful exuberance every time.

It's important to get the balance right.
From the all blacks 23 from the final, only Cane(-92), Barret(-91), Retallick(-91), Savea(90) and NMS(90) were born in the 90's.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not really but I checked and they're all under 22.

A #7 would either have to be so freakishly good or all of Hooper, Pocock, McMahon, and Gill would have to be injured at the same time for anyone to get a Wallabies cap in that position by 2019. Perry will have to wait. Good players though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with your assessment, but it could equally apply to probably all the players you named. It looked to me that you were naming some younger players who will come through in their positions, but not necessarily in time for the 2019 RWC. If so, then Perry would be in that category as well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'd classify Foley more as a runner than a ball player.

He is a more rounded 10, his running game holds up defenses, giving his outsides more space because he is a running threat - I actually see one of his biggest strengths is decision making when not to pass, he very rarely gives the ball to someone in a worse position, he will calmly take the contact instead.

There are better ball players, runners, defenders and kickers, but at the moment there is not a better all round 10 available.

To me, today, the closest is Lilo

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He is a more rounded 10, his running game holds up defenses, giving his outsides more space because he is a running threat - I actually see one of his biggest strengths is decision making when not to pass, he very rarely gives the ball to someone in a worse position, he will calmly take the contact instead.

There are better ball players, runners, defenders and kickers, but at the moment there is not a better all round 10 available.

To me, today, the closest is Lilo

Summed up perfectly fatprop. If Lilo got his running game back he'd be close but the last couple of years he's had no where near the running threat of Foley.

Are there any young 10's coming up the ranks with a strong running game?

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)

Indeed. NZ had a mean age of 28.1 & 49.3 test caps. Australia's values were 27.2 & 44.1. IIRC NZ 2015 may have been the oldest RWC winning squad.

As an aside, if you remove all of the <30 y/o's from each squad (11 for NZ and 8 for Australia), then NZ's figures drop to 25.8/31.1 and Australia's to 25.8/35.6.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Is it true that MC is off to the UK to coach?
If so, don't give too many secrets away Michael, and keep an eye out for those pesky English photo-journalists!!

Do you mean coaching the Baa Baas? As far as I know it's a giant piss up occasionally interrupted by a rugby game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Summed up perfectly fatprop. If Lilo got his running game back he'd be close but the last couple of years he's had no where near the running threat of Foley.

He has to deal with injuries, being played out of position and then too much kick, clap & maul rugby

Are there any young 10's coming up the ranks with a strong running game?

I want rounded 10s who facilitate and do it all, as for strong running game?

Jack D can ghost well

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Hayne is a gifted athlete, but he appears to have the concentration span of a goldfish.

Plus he grew up in a code where there is no stripping, we see the results in the number of fumbles he makes in contact.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Do you mean coaching the Baa Baas? As far as I know it's a giant piss up occasionally interrupted by a rugby game.

Thanks Tex, I stand corrected. The headline I saw just said MC was to go to the UK to coach. Not incorrect, however, as you infer, far from a regular UK coaching contract!

Reactions: Tex