• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the 1st game is against Fiji, I would suggest those players coming from overseas (Beale & Genia) and those players coming back from longer injury layoffs (Mcmahon, DHP) not be put out. I read Coleman will be returning very soon which gives him a lot of time, and not sure about Timani or Latu in regards to time frames.

Cheika seems to dislike Higs but there is no doubt he is crushing it, even in tight. He at the very least is BOTH the best no.6 behind Fardy and best no.8 behind Timani. Mcmahon, Dempsey & Mccalman out for a while longer yet and Higs is outplaying RHP, Hanigan, Naisarani, Holloway & Houston.

I'd expect to see a couple new guys get a run V Italy along with the Beales and Genias of the world, but other then that, I expect Cheika to stand by incumbents (he has already said it would now be a mix of form and past players)

1. Roberston 2. Moore 2. Kepu
4. Coleman 5. Arnold
6. Fardy 8. Timani 7. Hoops
9. Phipps 10. Foley 11. Speight 12. Hodge 13. Kerevi 14. Naivalu 15. Folau
16. TPN/Latu 17. Smith 18. Ala'alatoa 19. Carter 20. Higs 21. Powell 22. Quade 23. Hunt

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Latu was only out with a knock. I was certainly hoping he was back this weekend for the Tahs.

I didn't think Genia was likely to be available for the June tests because he is still contracted whereas Beale's contract would have ended.

The Aviva Premiership semi-finals are on 20 May and final on 27 May. Beale's team, Wasps are equal first on the table and host 3rd place Saracens in the last round. They could finish anywhere from 1st to 3rd. A win guarantees first though and a home semi against Leicester who seem to be a level below the top three (Wasps, Exeter, Saracens).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Does Cheika dislike certain players, or is it that he cannot set up an adequate working relationship with them?

In other words, does he believe that he cannot get them to perform the way he wants them to?

I doubt that he would allow himself the self-indulgence to let petty likes or dislikes come into the selection equation. He has far too much at stake for that.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think Cheika's preference for certain players has been any different to previous coaches.

The same opinions that the coach has favourites and it is impossible for some players to get selected are consistent for every coach from following comments etc. The prevailing attitude at the time is generally that this coach is somehow different to the last one but that is the case every time.

I would be really surprised if Higginbotham isn't in the squad. People seem to take the fact that Cheika dropped him previously when his form was poor as a sign that he will never select him again.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
^^^^
If you are referring to Higgers, i doubt that is the issue (though, in my opinion Higgers seems to be a bit of a knob).

He gave him a chance to impress in a test Jersey pre world cup. Same with Horwill. Neither impressed him. Maybe he gives them another shot, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he gives someone else a chance to impress.

As others have been quick to point out, Super form & ability doesn't necessarily translate to Test rugby and vice versa.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't think Cheika's preference for certain players has been any different to previous coaches.

The same opinions that the coach has favourites and it is impossible for some players to get selected are consistent for every coach from following comments etc. The prevailing attitude at the time is generally that this coach is somehow different to the last one but that is the case every time.

I would be really surprised if Higginbotham isn't in the squad. People seem to take the fact that Cheika dropped him previously when his form was poor as a sign that he will never select him again.

Its also generally the case that the "favourites" are consistent from coach to coach. Probably for a reason.

Many polarising players with that characteristic (Palu, Folau, Beale, Hooper) have been the "favourites" of several coaches, whether it be Deans, McKenzie or Cheika.

Higgers is in the other basket. He never 100% locked down and firmly secured a starting position in the XV during the Deans, McKenzie or Cheika era. It's not simply that Cheika hates the bloke, its just that himself, and other coaches, have been critical of his ability to translate his form to test level.

Hell, we've all been critical of that.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Cheika is human and probably does let likes and dislikes influence selections.
On a very tough course with a very high scrub out rate, we were given one piece of gold advice:

"If it is a close call between passing or failing, the decision will come down to whether the instructor likes you or not".

If Cheika has a choice between two players who are evenly matched, he will no doubt choose the one he likes.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Chieka coaches the Wallabies, I guarantee you he does not have the sole say on squad or team selection.

neilc

Bob Loudon (25)
Chieka coaches the Wallabies, I guarantee you he does not have the sole say on squad or team selection.

Who are the Australian selectors these days? I know NZ include selectors who are not part of the coaching setup (like Grant Fox when he was a selector, not sure if he still is) and in the past Horan and Andrew Slack were involved but haven't heard who is in the group these days. You would hope to have someone who is strong minded and willing to state their opinion otherwise I get the impression Cheika would ride roughshod over them.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who are the Australian selectors these days? I know NZ include selectors who are not part of the coaching setup (like Grant Fox when he was a selector, not sure if he still is) and in the past Horan and Andrew Slack were involved but haven't heard who is in the group these days. You would hope to have someone who is strong minded and willing to state their opinion otherwise I get the impression Cheika would ride roughshod over them.

I am not sure, if I had to guess I'd say at least the assistants and Mick Byrne would be involved.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
I read an article that says one of the problems with the wallabies is exactly that Cheika IS the only one chooses the squad, though I'm sure he asks larkham and grey their opinions. Though this might have been specific to the fact cheika dictates who receives contract top ups from the aru.

f the June test fall within international test windows (which they must clearly do), then Genia is entitled to play for the Wallabies. Last year, he had to miss a couple because they did NOT fall within a window (think this was RC)

Maybe it isn't a matter or liking someone personally, but just how they play and what they offer. An article written mentioned Higs wasn't invited to the earlier camp, not because of pending legal matters, but purely because Higs doesn't do what cheika wants (doesn't hit enough rucks). Higs seems to be hitting plenty of rucks now, and making big impacts around them. Heaps of muscle, power and mongrel.

However, Cheika players Hoops and Fardy in the wider channels, which is a particular strategy according to Kafe, but I think everyone can agree the best wide channel forward runner is probably K.Read, followed closely by Higs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Let us never forget that Cheika will be remembered for his results as Wallabies coach, for his whole lifetime. That is a pretty powerful incentive for him to choose the best possible team, each and every time the Wobbs go out onto the field of combat.

Or am I missing somthing?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
You can't play Fardy, Hooper & Higgers in the one side, someone has to do the heavy lifting

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)

He might not be the sole selector, but haven't seen any proof of a selection panel, and as mentioned above, probably does seek the opinion of his assistants.
But being the head coach and ultimately the man held responsible for winning or losing, I would imagine he has the final say.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Let us never forget that Cheika will be remembered for his results as Wallabies coach, for his whole lifetime. That is a pretty powerful incentive for him to choose the best possible team, each and every time the Wobbs go out onto the field of combat.

Or am I missing somthing?

Yep, he picks Mumm over Fardy and will probably do so again this season.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yep, he picks Mumm over Fardy and will probably do so again this season.

They are both leaving and therefore I can't see either being picked in the June tests. If the new blood doesn't measure up then either could reappear for the Bledisloe though.