• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Mafi at the Rebels and Tui at the Reds.

Mafi would presumably be relied on much less if McMahon hadn't missed the whole season so far, Timani hadn't missed a bunch of games and they hadn't had a disaster with their locks (meaning Timani couldn't just play 8).

Tui would have been used less if Houston had been healthy (and played better).

Imagine a Sunwolves backrow of Leitch, Tui and Mafi...

*drools*

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Always thought Mafi was a strange signing considering their balance of players, but lucky to have him there now considering injuries and form.

I was also surprised the Reds got BOTH Higs and Houston considering their busy backrow stocks, but I believe Tui is in his last season (Japanese players limited to 2?) but he got permission for a 3rd one as he spent the majority of one injured.

Don't think I was alone in thinking it would be a 6.Higs 8.Houston 7.Smith with 20.Tui at the Reds

I'd say our kiwi Flyhalf issue is far worse. I think we do have enough for each team to have an ex Aus u20 flyhalf to develop, but like Jake Mcintyre, are often getting throw in the deep end or like Deegan, never really getting a shot.

Reds have Stewart.
Tahs have Mason & Deegan
Brumbies have Jooste (who is really WA).
Rebels have Macgregor

ARU High Performance Manager should be pushing for all these guys to get a real crack as starting 10's for NRC teams.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Imagine a Sunwolves backrow of Leitch, Tui and Mafi.

*drools*

Well Leitch is definitely going back in 2019 and maybe even 2018 if the deal is good enough, and Tui is on his last season at the Reds.

Apparently Japan might even pull a Argentina and insist internationals play locally.

in 2018, could easily be a

6. Tui 8. Britz 7. Leitch & 20. Quirk at the Sunwolves

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
The challenge is how the bench finishes, Timani won't be planned to play 80 so we will still finish with Higs, Fardy & Hooper but I don't see another "Timani" to do another shift at the moment.

We have too many Japanese Islanders taking up space in squads, great players that they are, it doesn't help the Wobs (as does having average Kiwi 10s either)

I think in the last 20-30, when the game is slowing down, is the perfect time to bring in an explosive guy likes Higs. Same reason Mcmahon is always better off the bench than starting. Mcmahon really struggles going toe to toe against fresh and fit no.8s twice his size, but when they get gassed? He thrives.

I don't think u need another slogger like Timani in the last 20, you need players who can take advantage and break open a tiriing defence. Tired because they spent the 1st half wrestling with our man mountains, Coleman, Arnold and Timani.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Yes but the game isn't played only against your opposite number. Still a majority of a forward pack to TRY and take advantage of.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, we would be batshit crazy to take these games lightly rather than thinking this is the main opportunity to prepare for the Rugby Championship.

Our best players should be picked.

Chek should be able to blood 23 NRC blokes into Wallaby colours and still win those other 2 mayches (other than Scotland)

Nomally I always go to tests whether in Brisbane Sydney and Melboure. This year it hardly seems worth the effort

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Chek should be able to blood 23 NRC blokes into Wallaby colours and still win those other 2 mayches (other than Scotland)

Nomally I always go to tests whether in Brisbane Sydney and Melboure. This year it hardly seems worth the effort

You've just got a short memory Scrub, admittedly the current woes probably aren't helping. It's the same every time the Lions are playing anywhere other than here. Last time was in 2009 when we played Italy in Melbourne and Canberra and France in Sydney. Did you go to them all that year?

I've bought my family pass for the Scotland match, I can't wait and the wife and kids can't either. Saturday afternoon test rugby at the SFS, nothing better.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
If we're just aiming to win this "series", we should definitely pick Higgenbotham at 8. No question. But, with eyes to the World Cup, Timani should be given the time at 8, and a new long-term 6 brought in. I wouldn't even be opposed to giving Ross Haylet-Petty a shot at 6.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Higs could absolutely do the WC at 6. He'd be 32 I think. Other then that I agree, RHP and/Hanigan in the squad though. 2 x 6 2x 8 and 2 x 7

Poey, Hoops, Mcmahon, Higs, Timani & RHP would work nicely

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If Coleman, Arnold and Timani are on the field, the Higs can focus on what higs does best and that is cause damage in the wider channels. Cheika has been putting Fardy there but he is really ineffective. Fardy only required this year for his nuisance play over the ball in the absence of pocock. If Hooper however, continues in upward trend in improving his overball skills, and Higginbotham keeps doing great work in the counterrucking etc Then a Higs/Timani/Hoops backrow would be one to worry about, especially behind our new enforcer locks arnold and coleman

Reactions: dru

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Timani's skills at the base are fine and it works better for how Chieks runs his channels/shape. Higgs wide, Timani tight.

His skills at the base are OK. Higgs is much more accomplished there and at running from there. Kieren Reid runs in the wide channels from 8. There is no reason our 8 cannot do the same. Maybe we need to think about changing how the Wallabies run their channels and their shape based on recent results?

Reactions: TSR

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
His skills at the base are OK. Higgs is much more accomplished there and at running from there. Kieren Reid runs in the wide channels from 8. There is no reason our 8 cannot do the same. Maybe we need to think about changing how the Wallabies run their channels and their shape based on recent results?

Again balance, Reid can run wider because Kaino et al work the the tight

Reactions: dru

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If we're just aiming to win this "series", we should definitely pick Higgenbotham at 8. No question. But, with eyes to the World Cup, Timani should be given the time at 8, and a new long-term 6 brought in. I wouldn't even be opposed to giving Ross Haylet-Petty a shot at 6.

If RHP is to be given a "shot" at 6, let it be in the NRC first. Let us never forget Garrick Morgan's "shot" at playing 6.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)

Fardy is better than both in tight, is a decent jumper & is in form so he gets 6. I can't imagine anyone really thinks Hooper and Higgers in the run on team is a good idea. You can't have two loosies playing wide in a test, Hooper is better out wide than Higgers by a fair margin.

That being said Timani has played very little rugby.

Honestly, none of them suit 8 particularly well.

How old are Palu's kids?