• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

SamoanNo8

Fred Wood (13)
Must keep giving Lopeti Timani opportunities in Gold. He has serious potential and is a player for the future. Is Quade even fit enough to be playing Wallabies? Just appears to be a week to week prospect for the Reds.
No doubt that K Hunt must play fullback. Yields a better kicking game than Folau + is extremely physical + can act as a playmaker. Put Folau on the wing and give him a 10m channel to run in, will always do well. We saw it in the British Lions series in 2013.
S Moore for his last year in Wallaby gold, should retain the captaincy as well.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Agreed on Lopeti Timani and he is a good foil for Hooper and Higgs as he plays so tight. Silly suspension last week. Needs to cut that stuff out of his game.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Reid runs wide because I think the ABs run a 242 (at least the Saders do). Wallabies have run 161 or 1331 for the last couple of years.

If you're changing the shape, or the role within the shape, because of the myth Higgers is a god at the base of the scrum that's silly. The difference would be marginal to non-existent, whereas his pace off the side of the scrum and not having to 'channel cross' (having the 6 work past the 8 to get into place) could well be a factor in performance.

It's a successful shape, that's not the issue. Execution of skills within the shape (and discipline in executing it) probably is.

We couldn't even sustain a 2-4-2 shape unless our front row more or less doubled their ruck workrate anyway =\

We're definitely a 1331 squad now the vast majority of the time. I'm just hoping this year we can incorporate some more of the direct play off of 9 with a strike runner inside him as he scoots off the base. Tahs had a lot of success with this in 2014 but last test season we seemed to be stuck just recycling through the pods and going coast to coast repeatedly with little variation other than forwards moving the ball within their pods.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Foley has been the standout No 10 in Aus this year, as well as being the best and most consistent performer in the Tahs' backline. That, despite having a couple of very ordinary No 12 to work with, and all the time able to hit Folau with his pass whether he (Folau) is playing at 13 or 15. I think the perceived need for Foley to have another playmaker in the 12 spot is a bit overdone. Not to say that Kerevi is the ideal No 12 to sit between Foley and Kuridrani, but he just might be. But then Hodge also comes into the equation; the incumbent No 12 if I'm not mistaken but he also has distribution issues under defensive pressure.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I wouldn't even be considering Hodge as an inside back anymore; his best test matches have been on the wings, and we've seen how immense he has been for the Rebels at fullback. The only reason we should play him at 12 is a lack of other options there, which is not the case.

T

TOCC

If you have a player like Karmichael at fullback then i think you can afford to have a centre pairing in the like of Hodge-Kuridrani.. But that leaves the backline fairly reliant on having a ball player at fullback, which is risky with Karmichael been untested at test level.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
He's gone and promised Beale the 12 jersey to get him back (probably), because he wants Foley/Beale for the Wallabies.

Kerevi and Hodge are 2nd and 3rd choice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
So when is Pocock back off sabbatical? Obviously not this mid season break, but the August RC is possible if he can get some game time somewhere.

George Smith will be in 20 for the Wallabies these tests for sure.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
So when is Pocock back off sabbatical? Obviously not this mid season break, but the August RC is possible if he can get some game time somewhere.

George Smith will be in 20 for the Wallabies these tests for sure.

I think Pocock not available until next year.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
If you have a player like Karmichael at fullback then i think you can afford to have a centre pairing in the like of Hodge-Kuridrani.. But that leaves the backline fairly reliant on having a ball player at fullback, which is risky with Karmichael been untested at test level.

Obviously Hunt has played 10 in the past, but his game this year has been all about physicality and good short balls in the wide channels (albeit with some really good comms).

I think considering him a play making 15 is probably off the mark. If we want that, put a development player there in the short term (Hodge) and shift him for Beale when he gets back.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Smith
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Speight/Naivalu
12. Beale
13. Kurundrani
14. Folau
15. Hunt

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Ala'alatoa
4. Arnold
5. Coleman
6. Fardy
7. Hooper
8. Smith
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Speight/Naivalu
12. Beale
13. Kurundrani
14. Folau
15. Hunt

George Smith wasn't up to the challenge the last time he re-joined the Wallabies. I doubt he'd put himself through that again. Age catches up with us all.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think it is easier to decide who has played themselves out of contention at the moment in a few positions

I still think the front row is way up in the air, but I expect both Moore and Kepu to be selected, TPN, Latu, Sio, Robertson & Ala'alatoa will be in the mix.

Mumm, Simmons & Douglas have to be gone

So the locks will be Coleman, Arnold, Carter and either Skelton, Hendrik Tui or Izack Rodda

I don't think Hanigan or Holloway are near ready or deserving. We are really lacking a ball running back rower who will continually work to get over the gain line, we may end up taking extra locks on the bench to cover that work and budget for the back row to be Fardy, Hooper & Higgers to do 80 minutes (with Hooper & Higgers playing wider support and Fardy doing the on ball work)

9s? Genia and Phipps

10s? Foley then daylight

12? Beale won't be here for June so I would think Hodge or Meakes. (Kerevi isn't a 12, he needs more space)

13? Kurundrani or Kerevi (but his defending is bloody average (he can tackle but defend?)

Wings? Folau & DHP

15? Hunt, he can play in the line and defend 10/12 with Foley slotting into kick return

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Beale probably will be back for June. He just might miss the first test.

I heard Genia won't be around for June but the French season finishes earlier this year so I don't see why he wouldn't be available.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Beale is currently the best player in the best back-line in England, and seems to have regathered his pre-injury form. Wasps are looking good for the premiership.

Excited to see him back in green and gold.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it is easier to decide who has played themselves out of contention at the moment in a few positions

I still think the front row is way up in the air, but I expect both Moore and Kepu to be selected, TPN, Latu, Sio, Robertson & Ala'alatoa will be in the mix.

Mumm, Simmons & Douglas have to be gone

So the locks will be Coleman, Arnold, Carter and either Skelton, Hendrik Tui or Izack Rodda

I don't think Hanigan or Holloway are near ready or deserving. We are really lacking a ball running back rower who will continually work to get over the gain line, we may end up taking extra locks on the bench to cover that work and budget for the back row to be Fardy, Hooper & Higgers to do 80 minutes (with Hooper & Higgers playing wider support and Fardy doing the on ball work)

9s? Genia and Phipps

10s? Foley then daylight

12? Beale won't be here for June so I would think Hodge or Meakes. (Kerevi isn't a 12, he needs more space)

13? Kurundrani or Kerevi (but his defending is bloody average (he can tackle but defend?)

Wings? Folau & DHP

15? Hunt, he can play in the line and defend 10/12 with Foley slotting into kick return

Big Lopeti will be in there somewhere for sure. Beale and Genia will miss Fiji test but should play the other 2. Either Naivalu or Speight will start on one wing with DHP on the other, folau @ 15. Can't see Cheika changing that. With Hunt probably on the bench if DHP is back in time to play.