• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I get the whole rotation thing and it's obvious Cheika is a fan. I just don't think he, or Hanigan for that matter, have done ENOUGH to warrant selection in a Wallaby squad at this stage. Both good players and plenty of potential but IMO and call me old school but unless you are an absolute superstar I reckon you need more than a season of Super Rugby under your belt to have EARNED selection in a Wallaby squad. Thought the same with Powell last year when he got picked in the squad after a handful of minutes Super Rugby experience.

I'd say that Cheika knows what his match day 23 is bar maybe a couple of positions. So, assuming a squad of 33, the other 8 or so spots are largely development positions. From a forward looking perspective I'd much rather a Hanigan or Hardwick in the squad than a Simmons or Mumm, even if they don't get capped.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
Who would you pick instead?

No one has made a matchday 23 yet. There'll be a couple of players in every squad (for every team) that are something of project players that probably won't get capped.

Colby Fainga'a. Has been one of the Rebels best all season, primarily a 7 but covers 6 & 8 regularly, considered highly enough to captain the side on occasion and with 80 odd Super Rugby caps under his belt has more than paid his dues. From the leaks being reported it looks like Hooper will be the only 7 in the 33, which just seems odd considering every other position will have 2-3 players picked. I know the guy is a machine who has never had a serious injury but his luck will run out at some stage and I would want another genuine 7 in that extended squad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Colby Fainga'a has more than paid his dues. .

What's the point of this though? It isn't a participation award.

Fainga'a has been good but he's not going to make the 23 and he's not likely to feature in future years with Pocock back.

I'm also not convinced Cheika would pick him at 7 even if Hooper got injured.

Hardwick really seems like a promising option for the future and I think would be worthwhile having in the squad.

Rock Lobster

Larry Dwyer (12)
What's the point of this though? It isn't a participation award.

Fainga'a has been good but he's not going to make the 23 and he's not likely to feature in future years with Pocock back.

I'm also not convinced Cheika would pick him at 7 even if Hooper got injured.

Hardwick really seems like a promising option for the future and I think would be worthwhile having in the squad.

Selective editing there Braveheart. No it's not a participation award and no I wouldn't expect him to make the 23, unless Hooper was injured. I'm not sure Cheika would pick him in that event either but plenty would.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Selective editing there Braveheart.

Yes, I quoted the player's name and the statement I was replying to.

I think both Hardwick and Hanigan would work better in a Wallabies 23 this season and both have a better prospect of making a 23 that has Hooper at 7.

I'm not sure that many people would pick Fainga'a in a Wallabies squad this year. I think most would go with Alcock if they're looking for another pure 7. I think most would opt with George Smith ahead of Fainga'a as well.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Dickie Hardwick offers a bit of mongrel and some versatility in that he can play 6, 7 or 8. I think Cheika likes that. I also think he'd be one of those guys who would lift a gear at test level. Some blokes love the challenge and I reckon he's one of them. McMahon is the same I reckon, but works better off the bench so he can go beserk for 20-30 minutes.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I'm kinda hoping Mumm gets included just to see the reactions! Not so much on here (although they will be pretty good too), more on the front page, Facebook and below Wayne Smith's articles - especially from some dick called John aka OJ who has a whinge about Cheika/Tahs/Link's 'sacking'/Beale/Folau in response to EVERY single rugby article.

To me Mumm is a 'meh' selection - personally I think it's time for him to move on, and he is anyway, but when he does gets picked he rarely does anything outstanding but he rarely lets us down either. The complaints are usually that 'so and so' (mostly Fardy) who wasn't picked would have done/would do a better job.

I think with Pocock out we need Fardy's breakdown presence in the backrow, plus he is in better form and has actually been playing 6, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mumm lobs onto the pine as utility cover.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
PROPS
Allan Ala'alatoa
Sekope Kepu
Tom Robertson
Scott Sio
Toby Smith

HOOKERS
Stephen Moore (c)
Tatafu Polota-Nau
Tolu Latu

LOCKS
Rory Arnold
Adam Coleman
Sam Carter
Lukhan Tui

BACK ROW
Jack Dempsey
Richard Hardwick
Ned Hanigan
Scott Higginbotham
Michael Hooper
Lopeti Timani

SCRUM HALVES
Will Genia
Nick Phipps
Joe Powell

FLY HALVES
Quade Cooper
Bernard Foley

CENTRES
Kyle Godwin
Reece Hodge
Samu Kerevi
Tevita Kuridrani

OUTSIDE BACKS
Israel Folau
Dane Haylett-Petty
Karmichael Hunt
Marika Koroibete
Eto Nabuli
Sefa Naivalu
Henry Speight

dillyboy

Arch Winning (36)
Forwards: Allan Ala'alatoa, Rory Arnold, Adam Coleman, Sam Carter, Jack Dempsey, Ned Hanigan, Richard Hardwick, Scott Higginbotham, Michael Hooper, Sekope Kepu, Tolu Latu, Stephen Moore (c), Tatafu Polota-Nau, Tom Robertson, Scott Sio, Toby Smith, Lopeti Timani, Lukhan Tui

Backs: Quade Cooper, Israel Folau, Bernard Foley, Will Genia, Kyle Godwin, Dane Haylett-Petty, Reece Hodge, Karmichael Hunt, Samu Kerevi, Marika Koroibete, Tevita Kuridrani, Eto Nabuli, Sefa Naivalu, Nick Phipps, Joe Powell, Henry Speight

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Hope that Sio and DHP prove their fitness. If so, both are probably starting 15 selections, but there must be some doubt.

Can't understand the omission of Fardy. That could be a very unbalanced back row with all runners and no on-the-ball player. Expect Timani will have to slot into No 6. Not sure that Dempsey has done enough to warrant selection - mainly due injury, but that's the way it is.

Godwin is the main surprise in the backs. His form is hardly what would be described as better than good. He is a strong defender - about the best that can be said, although Cheika did mention his left foot kick. Phipps should also count himself lucky.

Good to see Tui and Hanigan both get a chance in the forwards and Joey Powell in the backs.

All in all, not a bad looking squad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Cheika has clearly made the choice to move on from players not here next year.

I would have retained both Fardy and Skelton but can understand not picking them.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Benaud

Tom Lawton (22)
I assume Fardy is injured. He'd be a certainty if fit. No real surprises the rest although I thought Georgie would add something to the squad.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Fardy was not considered a starter and Cheika wanted other options for the bench and development. He said Fardy is still in the mix if a starter is needed

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk