• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Dempsey and Hanagan are the token Tahs.

No farking way are they better prospects than RHP and Mafi.

Other than that it isn't a bad squad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whoops on Mafi. my fuckup. RHP should still be there for Dempsey though.

Dempsey has missed a lot of this season through injury but was certainly better than RHP last year.

I agree that RHP has come on well this year but they're also not like for like options.

Aside from Ready who has fallen off the wagon, Cheika has continued with the development players he took on the EOYT. I think that is a pretty reasonable position to take. It probably explains why Godwin has got another crack ahead of Meakes who has been in stronger form.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are still plenty of comments about Moore, Folau and Phipps in particular being woefully out of form. It's a recurring situation that the early season narrative doesn't change and people hold to those opinions.

I'd argue that Folau is back in pretty strong form and its hard to argue with him starting in the back three, particularly with his experience compared ot the other options and Moore is no longer only being selected because he is captain. TPN has probably dropped off a little and Latu certainly has whereas Moore is playing much better than he was early in the season.

Phipps' form has also certainly improved and he has taken back the starting 9 jersey at the Tahs and is playing pretty well. There's a strong argument that Powell should backup Genia in the 23 but Phipps isn't out of place.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Whoops on Mafi. my fuckup. RHP should still be there for Dempsey though.

Yeah, I am not sure about Dempsey either, but he was on the Nov tour so he is on the conveyor belt at the moment, RHP can expect the same in Nov IMHO.

I think Dempsey's point of difference is his real pace. But I don't think we will see more that about 3 minutes at the backend of a test from him at best this June

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
RHP is a pretty good call actually as we do not have a 5/6 type player that would be very handy on the bench in place of Dean Mumm. Possibly Tui could slot into 6?
Obviously Cheika has big raps on Dempsey.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
In my opinion it's a fairly sensible squad.........

Godwin and Nabuli probably the two luckiest players to be there with neither showing much.

Fardy and Alcock probably the two unluckiest players not to be there on form, but understandable considering Fardy is gone at the end of the year and Alcock likely gone too with Pocock's return........ so neither a long term investment.

I don't see any obvious candidate for the 6 jersey as yet so it makes sense to bring along a few younger guys.

Simmons, Douglas and Mumm all cut which is good to see......... surely there would've been plenty of outrage if any of them had been included.

Powell and Tui both rewarded for their form......... I'd like to see Powell get one start at least.

Overall, I can't find too many faults.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Yeah, I am not sure about Dempsey either, but he was on the Nov tour so he is on the conveyor belt at the moment, RHP can expect the same in Nov IMHO.

I think Dempsey's point of difference is his real pace. But I don't think we will see more that about 3 minutes at the backend of a test from him at best this June

As I said earlier I think Dempsey is in the squad as 7 cover. He'd be fine in that role against this lot, not so against the ABs though. Remember we are only filling the void until Pocock returns next year, McMahon is floating about in elastoplast as well.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Slim

You are just wrong in thinking I was a great advocate of Gill in the Wallaby jersey.

Just another misread by yourself and worthy of a personal uppercut:)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Dempsey has missed a lot of this season through injury but was certainly better than RHP last year.

I agree that RHP has come on well this year but they're also not like for like options.

It probably explains why Godwin has got another crack ahead of Meakes who has been in stronger form.

BH therein lies the fallacy of the back row selection imo. Dempsey and RHP are quite different players, but RHP is more like for like with Fardy who is being replaced. Because Dempsey has missed a lot of the season and has effectively been replaced at No 6 for the Tahs by Hanigan (who is looking the goods), I strongly believe RHP should have been in the squad in Dempsey's spot.

Regardless of Godwin's spot on the EOYT, he is not playing good rugby. I'd prefer DP who could cover 10 also in a pinch as well as 12.

I'd like to see Powell get one start at least.

Slim, I believe I've seen somewhere that Genia will not be available for the first test. If that's the case, then I would hope to see Powell as the form No 9 in the country make the starting side V Fiji.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Don't get the agitation from some on the squad. Wait, actually, I do. It's entirely predictable.

Certain people work themselves into a lather about certain selections every year. Inevitably we end up debating the blokes who were picked 32nd, 33rd and 34th in the process, and bemoaning the fate of the guys who were 35th, 36th and 37th in the pecking order.

Said players generally spend their time suited up on the sideline throughout the winter.

It's all a bit much. Then again, it's this type of debate that keeps the wheels turning on here, so who am I to argue?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH therein lies the fallacy of the back row selection imo. Dempsey and RHP are quite different players, but RHP is more like for like with Fardy who is being replaced. Because Dempsey has missed a lot of the season and has effectively been replaced at No 6 for the Tahs by Hanigan (who is looking the goods), I strongly believe RHP should have been in the squad in Dempsey's spot.

Regardless of Godwin's spot on the EOYT, he is not playing good rugby. I'd prefer DP who could cover 10 also in a pinch as well as 12.

It's probably safer to assume that Dempsey is a replacement for McMahon who would have certainly been named if he didn't get injured on the weekend.

If you're looking at 6 options that have been included instead of Fardy, I'd be looking at Higginbotham and Hanigan as the two inclusions who have been picked ahead of him.

I'd say that Dempsey and Godwin are equally the least likely backrower and centre to get picked in a matchday 23 during June. Both are there to continue their development from the EOYT.

I agree that Meakes or Paia'aua could have easily been picked ahead of Godwin but we're talking about someone at the fringe of the squad so it isn't really a substantive issue in my opinion.