• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Nah, Powell is the form 9 this year.

No he isn't. He has done exceedingly well for his age and the pressure that was put on him following Cubelli's injury. However, there are many better Australian 9s bouncing around.

He should not have been on the bench for the last three Wallabies matches. Didn't do anyone any favours. Didn't do Genia's tired legs any favours, Chek didn't have any reliable options to turn to on the bench and it won't exactly have left him brimming with confidence.

Pretty dumb really.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
With Phipps injured in June, Powell was the right choice for the bench. I don't think you can argue that Gordon was a better option.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No he isn't. He has done exceedingly well for his age and the pressure that was put on him following Cubelli's injury. However, there are many better Australian 9s bouncing around.

There's no 'better 9's,' but there are some good 9's running around.........

However Powell has been the best performer of the lot throughout the year.

I do think it's unfortunate that the ARU are spending a truckload of cash on Genia in the meantime.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
There's no 'better 9's,' but there are some good 9's running around...

However Powell has been the best performer of the lot throughout the year.

I do think it's unfortunate that the ARU are spending a truckload of cash on Genia in the meantime.

Phipps, Genia, Louwrens, Gordon are all better.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
If we selected on nothing but form - yes.

But no, he should be on the bench behind Genia, and actually be used if Genia keeps up his recent form.

You mean where he cacks it at the end of the game because they don't have a proper bench option to replace him at the 60 mark?

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
I'm not really. Cheika was clearly hesitant to put Powell on in a tight match even when it was clear Genia was completely dead on his feet.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I thought Louwrens may have got the nod if not injured, but I thought Powell had good form. I do really like the way Ruru plays as well - but give him a bit of time.

Fat Prop/Braveheart correct me if I'm wrong - but Phipps was dropped even before he was injured wasn't he? From the games I saw, Phipps was out of form. There is no knocking the guys effort, but surely you expect him to show some form to earn his spot? Or is my assessment/recollection off the mark?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Fat Prop/Braveheart correct me if I'm wrong - but Phipps was dropped even before he was injured wasn't he? From the games I saw, Phipps was out of form. There is no knocking the guys effort, but surely you expect him to show some form to earn his spot? Or is my assessment/recollection off the mark?

He has certainly spent time this season being second choice at the Tahs but he was selected as one of the three halfbacks by Cheika for the June series and then was withdrawn when he hurt his ankle. He still hasn't played since.

I would be surprised if Cheika doesn't select him on the bench for the Wallabies.

I do think Cheika was hesitant to bring Powell on during June, particularly after he had a very nervous start against Fiji. For that reason I think he'll opt for Phipps' experience at the start of the Rugby Championship.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Maybe. It certainly seemed Cheika was reluctant to use Powell. But I saw his selection of Phipps more as him not wanting 2 inexperienced halves in the squad (I wonder if he would have been prepared to take that risk if Louwrens was fit).

Honestly, who knows what Cheika will do but I personally wouldn't mind him sticking with one of Powell or Louwrens behind Genia.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Honestly, who knows what Cheika will do but I personally wouldn't mind him sticking with one of Powell or Louwrens behind Genia.

At test level I certainly think Phipps is going to get another crack.

He has a lot of experience in that bench spot and can inject pace into the game. Arguably coming off the bench to speed things up is his best attribute.

I'll be very surprised if Cheika does away with Phipps due to poor form early in the season. Certainly prior to injury his form was much better.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
If we selected on nothing but form - yes.

But no, he should be on the bench behind Genia, and actually be used if Genia keeps up his recent form.
The only reason Powell has looked ok is because a times the Brumbies pack are decent.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I have no issue at all with Louwrens forcing his way into the Wallabies' squad when fit, as I think he has shown signs bo being very good. Ruru atm is a good Super Rugby backup. The last thing we really need is for another sub-par player from the Tahs to be brought into the team on reputation alone. And really the reputation hasn't been earnt anyway. How many times has he played for the Wallabies and disappointed with his performances - very many. If it comes to it, Gordon is a better No 9 than Phipps in any case.