• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

T

TOCC

And every time Will plays, I count down to the charged down box kick. I haven't yet determined which happens the most frequently - Genia's charged down box kick or Phipps' brain explosion, but I do know that Phipps' poor passing occurs much more often than the other misdeeds.

So, Powell should start?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wallabies need to very careful about the number of Tahs in the squad and team.
Their attitude as revealed by their performances has the capacity to corrode and undermine the Australian team.
Those in the squad need to know that form and effort rather than reputation will be rewarded at least in the first test.
To do otherwise risks spreading the disease.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Been thinking for a little while and now convinced after tonight's game in Perth. The Wallabies for the RC should be bereft of Tahs altogether. There are only three whom it could be argued are up to standard, being Folau, Foley and Hooper.

Folau is world class in some aspects of his play but sadly lacking in other aspects, notably his poor kicking and lately some big chinks in his defense. Go with an all round full back in DHP at 15.

Foley has long survived because there was nobody else, even allowing for Quade these days. Jonno Lance now offers all that Foley does, and would possibly shine in a Wallabies' backline.

Hooper never stops, but again his presence does upset the balance of any forward pack he is a member of. Let's see how good Hardwick is when starting in the Wallabies, and how good the Wallabies' pack can be with eight conventional forwards.

In any case, given the poor form of the Tahs all year, none of them have earned a place at the highest level this year.

Other changes I'd like to see include Hunt at 12 (Meakes as backup), Hodge at 13 (Rona and Kuridrani as backup), RHP to No 6 (in Fardy's absence), TPN at No 2 (with Uelese as backup).

Reward the players who have put in for their teams all year long.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Let's not get too carried away. We need to pick our best side - and that will include Hooper, Foley, Folau & Kepu from NSW as a minimum. Plus Beale.

Beyond that though, I do think there are better options then Robertson, Hanigan (at the moment) and Phipps. Can't think of anyone else who would be in the mix to my mind.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Seems to me that it might be anyone advocating for any Tahs atm is getting carried away. There are good form arguments to suggest DHP and Lance at 15 and 10 respectively have done more than Folau and Foley in recent games to be selected. And we just might find out if Michael Hooper is an asset or liability if a more conventional No 7 is used.

I think all three need a good kick up the bum to get them back to playing well for the Wallabies, and a rest on the sideline might just do that.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Been thinking for a little while and now convinced after tonight's game in Perth. The Wallabies for the RC should be bereft of Tahs altogether. There are only three whom it could be argued are up to standard, being Folau, Foley and Hooper.

Folau is world class in some aspects of his play but sadly lacking in other aspects, notably his poor kicking and lately some big chinks in his defense. Go with an all round full back in DHP at 15.

Foley has long survived because there was nobody else, even allowing for Quade these days. Jonno Lance now offers all that Foley does, and would possibly shine in a Wallabies' backline.

Hooper never stops, but again his presence does upset the balance of any forward pack he is a member of. Let's see how good Hardwick is when starting in the Wallabies, and how good the Wallabies' pack can be with eight conventional forwards.

In any case, given the poor form of the Tahs all year, none of them have earned a place at the highest level this year.

Other changes I'd like to see include Hunt at 12 (Meakes as backup), Hodge at 13 (Rona and Kuridrani as backup), RHP to No 6 (in Fardy's absence), TPN at No 2 (with Uelese as backup).

Reward the players who have put in for their teams all year long.

Can't agree, Foley maybe, the others nope.

50-60 against the ABs with Grey as Defence coach. Possibly the same against the Springboks.

Zero wins in the RC this year.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Seems to me that it might be anyone advocating for any Tahs atm is getting carried away. There are good form arguments to suggest DHP and Lance at 15 and 10 respectively have done more than Folau and Foley in recent games to be selected. And we just might find out if Michael Hooper is an asset or liability if a more conventional No 7 is used.

I think all three need a good kick up the bum to get them back to playing well for the Wallabies, and a rest on the sideline might just do that.
It's unrealistic BR. They aren't going to blood a heap of rookies against the ABs. I also wonder how much is those players, and how much the environment. Folau was pretty good in the June series. Hooper does look tired to me, but he is probably sick of carrying the rest of the Tahs forwards. Regardless, he is consistently one of the Wallabies best and will be picked. Foleys shortcomings are discussed to death, but if Lance replaces anyone it'll be Cooper and Foley will start. I really enjoyed watching the Force play and I am not knocking the guys you put forward. I would really like to see a bunch of them included in the squad and guys like Lance, RHP & Rona get chances across the RC. If Higginbotham & Hunt are out, I'd definitely like to see RHP & Meakes get a crack.

For me, the biggest question the Tahs performance raises once again is why the hell Grey got promoted.

joeyjohnz

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wallabies need to very careful about the number of Tahs in the squad and team.
Their attitude as revealed by their performances has the capacity to corrode and undermine the Australian team.
Those in the squad need to know that form and effort rather than reputation will be rewarded at least in the first test.
To do otherwise risks spreading the disease.

Oh sweet summer child, with your glass half full. I admire your optimism.

In reality, this disease has been spreading since a select group of players from one franchise white anted our best coach in a decade.

A whole lotta luck and the worst England in living memory, Warrenball Wales & Joubert's whistle got us to the WC Final. The first bit of luck the Wallabies struck in the better part of a decade came at a time when we least needed it. It just papered over the obvious cracks and deficiencies and validated Chieka's west indian decisions.

But criticism back then was frowned upon and dismissed as bitter lemons from QLD conspiracy theorists around here (I was born and bred in WA). It was all "get behind the wallabies" & "stronger as one"; despite the idiotic & short sighted selections (Crabeau, Mumm & Pooper)

I couldn't get behind them then, and I can't get behind them now because they're playing stupid rugby, lead by a stupid coach, and an even stupid'er captain. (IDGAF about English)

We lost 3 ZIP to England at home. We just lost to fucking Scotland at home - without their best players. We nearly lost to fucking ITALY, if it wasn't for 14 points in the last 3 minutes.

Christ on a bike, we're fucking shite.

And now, our fucking numpty of a Coach has rewarded the coach responsible for the worst defensive season in Waratah history with a fucking national post.

Nothing to see here boys, move along. It's just business as usual for Chieka and his crew of merry men.

Unfortunately, business as usual for Chieka's merry men will ultimately involve white-anting another coach in Gibson. It's his fault that the Wallatahs are now the Horrortahs. Nothing to do with the "if i don't like it, I can get rid of it" mentality that has been ingrained in this playing group, and enabled by a Piss weak Bill Pulver at the end of the McKenzie era.

Of course, none of this has anything to do with the horrific leadership (can we call it that?) and culture at all levels of Rugby in NSW.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Funny/interesting/bemusing to see Eddie Jones in the pits at the British GP. Pommy commentators lapping him up and giving a shit about England's tour to Argentina and their prospects for 2019.
Him talking about the 1%ers.
Our only hope was that he was in the mclaren garage - which ranks with the wallabies.
Can't see any oz sport being excited about Cheka or Gibson or pulver being in the building.
Man have we sunk.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Phipps' passing reliability is inversely proportional to fans from NSW justifying his passing come test selection time.

Responses like this are directly proportional to the ability of the poster to comprehend. Or not.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Phipps' passing reliability is inversely proportional to fans from NSW justifying his passing come test selection time.

This keeps being said. It's not wrong, but it's incomplete. Phipps service is fast. Faster than any other 9 in Aus, incl Genia. It is also sometimes inaccurate. So you see, it's not just Tah fans trying to justify Phipps.

He may not be, probably is not, the answer. But choices are thin. You would however choose him on the basis of intended game plan.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Oh hahahaha

Link me to the game this year that showcases his suitability for the test jersey.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Funny/interesting/bemusing to see Eddie Jones in the pits at the British GP. Pommy commentators lapping him up and giving a shit about England's tour to Argentina and their prospects for 2019.
Him talking about the 1%ers.
Our only hope was that he was in the mclaren garage - which ranks with the wallabies.
Can't see any oz sport being excited about Cheka or Gibson or pulver being in the building.
Man have we sunk.

They love a good bandwagon, the English press. As soon as Eddie loses a few and/or the dressing room, which seems inevitable where he's concerned, they'll be all over him. He's going great guns at the moment but I'm tipping it won't last forever.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This keeps being said. It's not wrong, but it's incomplete. Phipps service is fast. Faster than any other 9 in Aus, incl Genia. It is also sometimes inaccurate. So you see, it's not just Tah fans trying to justify Phipps.

He may not be, probably is not, the answer. But choices are thin. You would however choose him on the basis of intended game plan.
And this is the nutshell of Australia's problems with regards to selections. We are choosing between options on the basis of which weakness we can tolerate the most. Activity vs impact, effort vs execution; and the pros/cons of being part of a squad that has achieved well below what we would like them to or having not yet been tarnished with that 'distinction'.

I find myself regularly typing posts which contradict posts I've made previously - sometimes within minutes of each other. But it's because I'm honestly fucked if I know what approach is best. Maybe Cheika should just clear the decks and bring in a heap of new guys. But all of new guys played in super rugby teams that performed poorly against the best sides as well and one emotion filled win against the Tahs by the Force doesn't change that.

I'm also conscious that Cheika has actually selected a hell of a lot of new guys over the last 18 mths. Some of those have done quite well, some make me scratch my head, but there have been a lot.

Don't get me wrong - this is an Internet forum and I get that ideas are going to be thrown around - but I just struggle to see how some of these calls are anymore than 50/50 either way.

T

TOCC

Righto... all the shit aside... I'm going to throw some of these into the squad for contention for upcoming squads, some for selection consideration and some for development exposure:

Meakes
Rona
Tupou
Paia'aua
Perese

Sadly, I haven't watched enough Super Rugby this year to offer much more then that

Top Bottom