• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
It's a lot of effort complaining about all of the selection decisions that I would consider poor. I am going to give Cheika the benefit of the doubt on this one. But if we suck as badly as we did in the June tests, I think it is clear that Cheika is a one way train to Nowheresville. That doesn't mean that I expect us to win, but just not to play like we did in the June tests.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
To be fair, and I feel like a broken record saying this, but Higgers has never made an impact at test level despite the numerous opportunities given to him..............

So I don't think Cheika's comments regarding Douglas apply to Higgers as well.............

However, I don't think Hanigan or Dempsey are anywhere near being good enough for test rugby, and neither are a step up from Higgers......... so I think our backrow is going to be absolutely walloped, particularly when we're missing Pocock and Fardy will likely be overlooked again.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don't think Fardy will be 'overlooked' when the full squad is announced. It would help if he plays at full potential for his remaining Brumbies game(s).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No Cooper or Lance. Backup 10 looks to be Beale (alas!) unless they're waiting to see hoe Lealiifano goes this weekend (and the next, and the next:)).

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Higgers has no less "impact" than Hanigan and Dempsey and not consistently less than Timani (at the best of times it is marginal). He also offers some high skill elements that few other backrowers in the world do (whether those are of enough value in the Test arena is a different issue).

What grates me is the blatant bullshit Cheik feeds to the media around his selection decisions. I'm not sure I would be less off him if he just said "Right, I have made a judgement call on a few players, some on form and some on my perception of their potential to play well for me in the role(s) I envisage. I am happy to be judged by the results of those decisions", but at least I would respect the honesty.

But Dempsey AND Hanigan, with no Higgers is completely ridiculous.

Thinking Beale may have more than a bit part role at 10 is also ridiculous.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Higginbotham was average in the June series. He didn't live up to his Super Rugby form and isn't a player for the future.

Hanigan clearly is and showed glimpses of it in June. He also did some average things and hopefully we have a stronger 23 than needing him in the Bledisloe Cup because I certainly don't think he finished the season strongly.

I wouldn't have selected Dempsey in the squad.

With Beale back it's pretty clear we wouldn't select a reserve 10 on the bench so it makes Cooper's place kind of redundant. Maybe Leali'ifano is now heavily in the frame to be part of the squad.

My guess is that for training purposes in this current squad, whoever out of Beale, Hunt and Hodge doesn't run with the starting XV is the 10 in the opposing XV.

I would guess Cooper or Lance gets brought in if Foley got injured. Seemingly they wouldn't go straight to the starting 10 role though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Correct if i'm wrong but isn't Beale coming back from an injury? when did he last play a game?

He last played the semi final of the Aviva Premiership in May before tweaking his hamstring.

He was given the June series to have a break and get back to full fitness.

He had played most of the UK season prior to that though after returning from serious injury.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
With Beale back it's pretty clear we wouldn't select a reserve 10 on the bench so it makes Cooper's place kind of redundant. Maybe Leali'ifano is now heavily in the frame to be part of the squad.

If Lilo comes back to play Wallabies it will be one of the greatest sporting triumphs. Even if he plays one match he'll have 1 more yellow jersey than Armstrong!

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
33 Squad for RC on what I think Cheika will pick

Moore Tpn Latu
Sio Ala'alatoa Kepu Robertson Ainsley
Coleman Arnold Carter Tui/Rodda
Fardy/Dempsey Hanigan Mcmahon Timani Hooper Hardwick
Genia Phipps Powell
Foley Quade
Hodge Hunt Beale Kerevi Tk
Koroibete Naivalu Speight DHP Folau

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I reckon Lilo is about 3% chance
I think he'll be included in any training squad the brumbies are available for but will otherwise play NRC with an eye to coming on the end of year tour.

I thought quades form of the bench in the tests would've been enough to keep him there but can see why he was dropped. I can't understand why lance isn't there for at least a wider training squad like this though. If he's going to be called up in the case of injury then use camps like this to make sure he's up to speed with their systems.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Anyone know precisely when Naisarani moved to Oz in 2015? Will he be eligible for us by the next lot of June Tests?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)

My guess is that for training purposes in this current squad, whoever out of Beale, Hunt and Hodge doesn't run with the starting XV is the 10 in the opposing XV.

I would guess Cooper or Lance gets brought in if Foley got injured. Seemingly they wouldn't go straight to the starting 10 role though.

So if Foley does get injured. They start Beale, hodge or Hunt at 10? Scary stuff.

Reactions: dru

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think he'll be included in any training squad the brumbies are available for but will otherwise play NRC with an eye to coming on the end of year tour.

I thought quades form of the bench in the tests would've been enough to keep him there but can see why he was dropped. I can't understand why lance isn't there for at least a wider training squad like this though. If he's going to be called up in the case of injury then use camps like this to make sure he's up to speed with their systems.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Lance ended up on the bench for the Force