• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
This makes absolutely no sense, Coleman is a natural leader, is growing into one of the best locks the Wallabies have had in years and one of the few selection certainties in the team, the difference he makes to the Force team was evident this year when he returned..

Is he ready for captaincy right now? Perhaps not, but I certainly don't understand why you detest the idea so much

Why do you say he is a "natural leader" ?

Do you know him ?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Who should be captain scrubber? Genuine question. Cupboard is bare in the captaincy dept.

I don't like Moore as a player or captain nowdays.

I agree the cupboard is bare ATM.

Despite my forbiddings I would leave Moore in the side as hooker AND captain. He is so much better than Hooper (as a captain) and Coleman. Whilst I would like to see another hooker I'd be prepared to run with Moore.

Someone needs to stand up. That person needs to be respected by the players, as a captain. Hooper doesn't fit that criteria and certainly not Coleman. The captain is the team captain - he doesn't have the role for his individual pleasure.

Having Moore in the side with Cheks selection of certain players, and also players out of position ain't going to make a difference to our win/loss ratios in the RC (IMHO).

T

TOCC

Fardy must be included, his performance last night is far better then anything Hanigan or Dempsey have displayed thus far

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'd happily see Louwrens (I'm sure we would have), and Gordon get a chance to show their wares same as Powell. Even perhaps Ruru down the track. Both him and Louwrens have been around the bush and played great rugby this year. I think Powells has been fortunate that Larkham was his coach in conjunction with solid but not amazing performances. Phipps is lucky. If Higs and Quade got dropped, so should have Phipps.

UTR and others not sold on Joe Powell, perhaps his efforts last night against TJP and the best Super Rugby side in the competition might have swayed your opinions slightly? He was the equal of TJP while on the ground and seriously better than Cubelli who came on the replace him.

Also, on the question of fitness - the Brumbies showed for most of the game that a fast, hard hitting defense can upset the more favoured (and more talented?) kiwis and they were in the game until too many replacements disrupted the energy and flow of their defensive efforts. Don't think fitness was necessarily a big problem there.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I reckon Cheika is just firing a rocket up Quade's ass. Drop him, build the hunger, and bring back in a fired up Quade when the final squad is named.

Can't see it myself FF (Folau Fainga'a). Cheika seems to get a down on certain players (see Fardy through all of 2016 and 2017) and that's the end for them. i think Cooper has joined the ranks of those on the outer. If Cheika wanted to put a rocket up his arse, wouldn't it be more effective to do so while he (Cooper) was directly under his (Cheika's) influence rather than push him back to the Super Rugby coaching staff who according to Cheika can't even get their charges game fir?

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I think it would be easier to find a new coach than get Cheika to markedly change his plans

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

A good thought there FP. As other have said, Cheika seems to be a very good motivator, and probably should be in the coaching setup somehow, but not as Head Coach. He has had early success with the Tahs and the Wallabies but his influence seems to deteriorate after a short period, perhaps as I see it, when his deficiencies in establishing a game plan and selecting the best players come to the fore.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A good thought there FP. As other have said, Cheika seems to be a very good motivator, and probably should be in the coaching setup somehow, but not as Head Coach. He has had early success with the Tahs and the Wallabies but his influence seems to deteriorate after a short period, perhaps as I see it, when his deficiencies in establishing a game plan and selecting the best players come to the fore.

And what head coach would you suggest?

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Don't necessarily disagree BR, however I don't see an obvious alternative HC right now.
Would be happy to have MC back at the Tahs right now, despite possible shortcomings in strategy, we would love to see the culture that existed in the side prior to his departure re-installed!

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
UTR and others not sold on Joe Powell, perhaps his efforts last night against TJP and the best Super Rugby side in the competition might have swayed your opinions slightly? He was the equal of TJP while on the ground and seriously better than Cubelli who came on the replace him.

Also, on the question of fitness - the Brumbies showed for most of the game that a fast, hard hitting defense can upset the more favoured (and more talented?) kiwis and they were in the game until too many replacements disrupted the energy and flow of their defensive efforts. Don't think fitness was necessarily a big problem there.

Had a great game. Wouldn't quite say he was the equal of Peranara because TJP whipped out a couple special things that's not really his area eg, crucial turnover. I think Powell could learn alot from how fired up TJP was. Genia was like that when he was told of the world a few years ago. Powell just has to turn it up a notch in his directing of the team. Hurricanes forwards jump when TJ says jump. Cubelli brought that energy but had a particularly poor game with execution. Fitness may not have been a huge issue but with the Hurricanes firepower, teh Brumbies just didn't have the hard hitting and cohesive nature required to keep them out forever.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I don't like Moore as a player or captain nowdays.

I agree the cupboard is bare ATM.

Despite my forbiddings I would leave Moore in the side as hooker AND captain. He is so much better than Hooper (as a captain) and Coleman. Whilst I would like to see another hooker I'd be prepared to run with Moore.

Someone needs to stand up. That person needs to be respected by the players, as a captain. Hooper doesn't fit that criteria and certainly not Coleman. The captain is the team captain - he doesn't have the role for his individual pleasure.

Having Moore in the side with Cheks selection of certain players, and also players out of position ain't going to make a difference to our win/loss ratios in the RC (IMHO).

Well I've got to say I don't think Hooper is a great Captain either, but compared to Moore I'd say he's miles ahead.

Moore has got to be the worst Captain of all time in regards to the way he addresses referee's. Hooper was poor but he's got a lot better in this regard.

As natural leaders go, well Hooper is better at leading by example - by a country mile.

Now as respect from other players go, well I got no idea about that one, My guess would be Hooper is more repected - didn't he win players choice at the Tahs or Wallabies a few times? And in comparison
I recall Moore being consistently overlooked for leadership and Captaincy roles at the Brumbies - Jake White and Gits commenting he wasn't a leader type. He got the role at the wallabies because he was the last man standing probably the only player at the time who was guaranteed a starting spot.

At this stage I think anyone would be better then Moore. I think Coleman is the only player in the squad guaranteed a starting spot on form - which is essentially the only reason Moore got chosen in the first place.

T

TOCC

It isn't like there is a long list of possibles

Is this really true, i think not... It seems like the same argument used for retaining Pulver and his cronies as the ARU board.

Wallabies have been beaten in the past 12months by test teams with heavy Aussie influence in the coaching teams, Matt Taylor is the assistant coach of Scotland and the more obvious Eddie Jones taking England on an unprecedented run of wins with plenty of Aussies assisting in the backroom in the form of Glen Ella running attack and Dean Benton S&C coach.

Why restrict ourselves to only Aussies when so many other international teams have employed foreigners with good success, look at someone like Chris Boyd from he Hurricanes or Mark McCall from Saracens, or better yet, go bold and recruit Wayne Smith..

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

How can you possibly know this, unless as you said before one of us knows him personally and his team mates?

My criteria for captain:
- Must be one of the first names on the team sheet. Their place cannot be in question.
- Communicates well with the refs and the other players
- Leads by word and by deed. Rugby players respond to blokes ready to lead the way into the tough stuff and not shirk any of it
- High levels of personal discipline and a cool head under pressure

I don't think any one bloke in the squad currently fits the bill, but in the longer term I think Coleman will. The big issue for me will be the balance between personal discipline and fucking smashing blokes. If he gets that right I think the other stuff will fall into place for mine. Moore is not the long term answer, has had issues with his own discipline (like getting involved in handbags) and is on the wane as a player. Hooper I don't think gets listened to, based on what I've seen so far. I think he's well spoken, but I don't think the players get in behind him.

T

TOCC

Why do you say he is a "natural leader" ?

Do you know him ?

Through a mate whose opinion I respect yes..
What exactly is your opinion based on?
If not Hooper or Coleman, then who is you're preferred Captain? Moore isn't the solution, he is struggling to hold onto a starting position and won't be starting every test match.

L

Leo86

I have no solution but my thoughts

Too many times have i seen (across multiple sports) when someone made captain it reduces their impact. i remember hearing this when Hooper first captained. "he should be concentrating on his game not captaincy..."

So with Coleman, i dont want to see his impact reduced, maybe in a few years as a seasoned veteran but as someone who plays hard and doesnt stand down, lets keep him as is. i want him goin in 100% not captaining/diplomatic in the back of his mind. Tahs fans can answer for Hoops was/is he better being 100% player or no difference.

Sharpie was a great captain but i remember in his last season without the shackles so to speak, loved it.

Maybe Hoops is the answer and just needs to work on it/ approach it differently or continue learning and improving.

The coaches should see who leads and if they have the following.

Best player is not necessarily best captain