• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
MASSIVE NEWS!

People forget stuff like Moore was in a fight for a test start jersey with Adam Frier WAY back at the 2007 WC (having debuted in 2005). For perspective, Frier has been working media roles for years now and is only 3 years older than Moore.

Yes, the bloke is old and a bit past it, but he played some bloody good footy for the Wallabies, deserved his test captaincy when he got it, and deserves respect more than some of the "thank GOD" comments he's getting on facebook.

Remember, it's never an ageing and deteriorating player's fault his form is going, he's still working hard and at the end of the day he doesn't pick himself.

Great career Moore - a humble, tough, and very talented servant of Aussie rugby.

T

TOCC

Australian rugby fans should be grateful there are some senior guys willing to play out their twilight playing years in Australia rather then follow the well worn pension path to the northern hemisphere. If his selection in the wallabies irks you, that's an issue for the coach and selection panel, not the bloke who is doing his best to combat time.

Comments like "he should retire" or "hang his boots" are a reflection of the fickle fan base grasping at someone to blame for their teams poor performance.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Absolutely - standard Aussie rugby fans (as bad as the ARU can be, we often shoot ourselves in the foot).

We punish blokes who leave too young, and we punish blokes who overstay their best years.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It would be very surprising if Hooper isn't announced as captain. I see no reason why that won't happen.

My bet is that two vice captains will be announced and Coleman will be one of them.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Remember, it's never an ageing and deteriorating player's fault his form is going, he's still working hard and at the end of the day he doesn't pick himself.

100% agree, if anything the fact he kept getting picked when it was clear his form was deteriorating is a sign of the gulf development between He, TPN and the rest of our Hookers. Its not like Squeak and TPN suddenly got old overnight, but we have barely seen younger Hookers actively developed.

While Hanson and co may be included in the training squads, too much emphasis and reliance was placed on our first stringers rather than bringing the next generation through.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
It would be very surprising if Hooper isn't announced as captain. I see no reason why that won't happen.

My bet is that two vice captains will be announced and Coleman will be one of them.

As good as Coleman is, and he's excellent, he's a foil for a young Horwill (in form and even more so if named captain). I don't think that kind of a bloke is a test captain.

Just let him be a much loved abrasive character, and call the line outs.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Stephen has been a loyal Wallaby, but has been fading in form for the past few years (even pre RWC2015).

TPN has been in better form & been riding the pine for too long.

Yes there needs to be more depth at #2.

I'm just glad Stephen had decided it's time for him to finish up internationally.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
3 sessions a day. Sounds like plenty of bash and barge. With a bit of luck they will have a bit of energy left to play some scintillating rugby and whitewash the opposition.
They're being run ragged, very exhausting. I think their time back at the clubs will be including a lot of rest!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
100% agree, if anything the fact he kept getting picked when it was clear his form was deteriorating is a sign of the gulf development between He, TPN and the rest of our Hookers. Its not like Squeak and TPN suddenly got old overnight, but we have barely seen younger Hookers actively developed.

While Hanson and co may be included in the training squads, too much emphasis and reliance was placed on our first stringers rather than bringing the next generation through.

Have they been good enough?

Hanson played 12 tests, Charles 4, and Mann-Rea 2 in recent years.

Latu has now played 4 tests.

Hanson has clearly been there or there abouts for the longest out of those players but is now being surpassed by Uelese at the Rebels who is in the training squad. Latu has played 4 tests and you'd think he is the most likely to play more tests this year (although I won't be surprised if Uelese debuts some point this season).

I think the others guys coming through in recent years haven't been good enough to warrant anointing as a successor and being given test selection at times when both Moore and TPN have been available.

I doubt Hanson will play another test. Charles and Mann-Rea certainly won't.

Surely the fact that he's been surpassed by younger players emerging whilst the older guys are still there vindicates the decision not to invest more time in him at test level when those older but better options have been healthy.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
For me the correct approach is to start TPN with Uelese on the bench for most of this year, but make sure Moore gets a start in a final hurrah home test match this year (probably a Brisbane one). If there's an injury, Moore is a sensible replacement.

You could argue this is devaluing a jersey, but I'd argue it's just placing value on a great career.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Good luck to Mr Moore, great player

I do find it amusing to see some now complaining about the lack of development of Hookers while others are concerned about the devaluing of the jersey by giving "x" some time on the field.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Am I the only one surprised by the absolute meteoric rise of Uelese? I understand he's probably included in the squad in the same way as Tupou or Magnay etc. But after watching all his performances at the Rebels I stil don't think he's the same quality as those other youngsters.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Am I the only one surprised by the absolute meteoric rise of Uelese? I understand he's probably included in the squad in the same way as Tupou or Magnay etc. But after watching all his performances at the Rebels I stil don't think he's the same quality as those other youngsters.

His performances at the Rebels have been good around the park, but limited in time. He's carrying and contact work is second to none, even at a professional level. His throwing obviously needs work though.

Has he been rushed in? Yes, but really TPN and Moore are getting on, Hanson, Fainga'a, and Mann-Rea are a little bit too old to merit the investment that would have them become test starting standard - plus you may not even get one WC out of them.

Uelese is the future, along with Ready when he gets back on track and Latu when he sorts his fitness issues. We've got 3 good young hookers and we just need 2 to step up, all of which we can get 2-3 WCs out of.