• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
***BEGIN PRESS RELEASE***

The NZRU Commissariat has taken this advice on board and has forthwith dispatched comrade Retallick to Pitcairn Island. There he is to undergo extensive retraining under renowned skills coach Dr P.Gunston (PhD, homeopathic internet memery).

The Commissariat is confident that Dr Gunston will have comrade Retallick throwing 75m passes of both hands and producing 400m kicks off his left foot by kickoff for the Chiefs semifinal in ~34 hours. Failing this, it is expected that comrade Retallick will be well equipped by Dr Gunston for a swift career switch into internet shitposting of Japanese gifs on rugby boards.

***END PRESS RELEASE***

Reactions: TSR

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Haha.

"You want an example?! Here's a bloody example! (insert vague, proof-less sweeping statement)".

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) definitely did pass a lot more than he was given credit for. Foleys kick are definitely getting more distance than they did 2-3 years ago. Beale improved his defence out of sight in 2015/16/17.

Julian Savea is still a turnstyle in defence. So are Aaron Smith and Jordie Barrett and ALB when under pressure. Israel Dagg is very hot-and-cold under the high ball, Fekitoa has poor handling, Beaudan Barett still can't goal kick to an international standard.

Jantjies overplays his hand, Ford / Farrell can lose control of a game under pressure, Etzebeth is easily goaded into doing dumb shit, etc. etc.

Name almost any All Black / English / Welsh / South African player and I can probably find you a deficiency they've been known for their entire career.

Not necessarily doubting this view of Hooper, but I wonder what posters are basing this on?

Nothing to me shows that he doesn't have the respect of the players.

Coleman shouldn't be given the captaincy IMO. Captaincy tends to dull the enforcers ability to enforce.

Wouldn't mind Foley as a VC. He's been very active in (trying atleast) to uphold standards at the Tahs this year and he's been very talkative on the field.

I think I'm coming around to the idea of Foley as captain. Bernard is a certain starter and if nothing else is a cool head.

Hooper, I think, doesn't seem to get th support of the team when he leads the Tahs, and there are certainly doubts in my mind about his decision making. Also, long term, I want to see Hooper moved to the bench as an impact player. I don't want to see both Pocock and Hooper playing together for long periods, and I would much prefer Pocock to start at 7 alongside say RHP and Timani in the backrow which would allow the whole scrum to function again as a distinct forwards pack as it should be.

chiraag

Larry Dwyer (12)
DHP a dark horse for captain? Has pretty much started every test for the Wallabies for the last couple of years, plays the full 80 most games, is level headed and speaks well.

When he's taken the role at the Force, his ref management has been good as well. Certainly not petulant as Moore, Hooper and Genia come across as sometimes when dealing with the refs.

Possibly a bit too far away from the action. But maybe it could result in him taking a few more of the kicks for touch instead of Foley, which would be a huge boost for the Wallabies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
DHP a dark horse for captain? Has pretty much started every test for the Wallabies for the last couple of years, plays the full 80 most games, is level headed and speaks well.

When he's taken the role at the Force, his ref management has been good as well. Certainly not petulant as Moore, Hooper and Genia come across as sometimes when dealing with the refs.

Possibly a bit too far away from the action. But maybe it could result in him taking a few more of the kicks for touch instead of Foley, which would be a huge boost for the Wallabies.

very dark, like no chance

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Brodie Retallick.

I'll fall back to my "almost any" clause here.

Skelton physically dominated him this year when they met in Super Rugby???

He's not a particular stellar looking bloke???

His interviews are pretty shite???

Thats all I can come up with.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Does anyone think there is a connection between why Qld always win SoO, and why the AB's always win the Bled of recent times? Or a connection between why the NSW Blues always lose the SoO, and why the Wallabies always lose the Bled of recent times?

Not suggesting anything spooky, but more to do with similar motivation, attitude, team culture, coaching, etc.

Anything is this?

I feel like the Wallabies should have spent a training session with the Qld RL team rather than the NSW one.

Reactions: gel