• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
When does To'omua's contract finish in the UK? I would have my sights set on bringing him back if I was Rugby Australia. Probably the only useful thing the ARU/RA have done in recent memory has been getting Koroibete to come over, would be good if they could get To'omua home as well.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Cheika blaming the the players, not the plan itself. Anyway, we could argue this all night. I reckon it is time for a change. No doubt there has been improvement at times this season but it has been one step forward and then two back. His record over time is not good enough, plain and simple.

A really quick search reveals a few examples, and I know from memory it's happened a few more times as well:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-20/cheika-takes-blame-for-shaky-wallabies-performance/6869278

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/02/15/cheika-takes-blame-tahs-rugby-loss

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/cheika-takes-blame-for-england-defeat/vp-AAhgTVq

But it's not really about that. You can knock Cheika for a lot of things, but I'm just not sure shirking blame is one of them. .

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
When does To'omua's contract finish in the UK? I would have my sights set on bringing him back if I was Rugby Australia. Probably the only useful thing the ARU/RA have done in recent memory has been getting Koroibete to come over, would be good if they could get To'omua home as well.

Pretty sure he just signed an extension a few weeks ago to take him past RWC19. Might be imaging it though.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
A really quick search reveals a few examples, and I know from memory it's happened a few more times as well:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-10-20/cheika-takes-blame-for-shaky-wallabies-performance/6869278

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2015/02/15/cheika-takes-blame-tahs-rugby-loss

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/music/cheika-takes-blame-for-england-defeat/vp-AAhgTVq

But it's not really about that. You can knock Cheika for a lot of things, but I'm just not sure shirking blame is one of them. .

fair enough

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Build and play style suggest 13. His defensive positioning and his tackling need work but those things can definitely be trained/worked on.

I think Kerevi's distribution is under-rated. I'd say he is a better passer then Hodge. He could very well be a large body, with a good step, and good distributor at 12. This is something new and exciting for the position.

If only he can sort out his defence and continue building his distribution game. Nonu 2.0. ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Can you name any other coach that has said those things?

Yes plenty. But the iconic was Kevin Keegan coaching the England football team. Moved on because it was the best thing for the team, when the team didn't want that, and the fans didn't either. And management was confused. Keegan was right. Cheika is not the wrong call that Keegan was. Of course, as I have said previously on this thread, the only way we are really screwed (right now) is if Cheika resigns.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yep, I generally agree Beale to the bench if he's not our best player in 12 or whatever other position he maybe looking at, whether or not that will happen in a Cheika coached team is another issue. He did play 11 very well against England in the 2015 WC when he came off the bench early so I think he could do it, I also think the defensive issue is mitigated to some extent because Folau tends to defend on the wing in defence and Beale at fullback anyhow. If he is in the team (which I think is likely as long as Cheika is the coach) then looking at him on the wing may mitigate some of the defensive issues with playing him at 12.

Beale has stuff to answer for. Being one of the first chosen in the back line in the WBs in 2017 is not one of them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Why would we shaft Beale to the wing of all places? as far from the play making as possible. We've already seen what moving him away from 12 does.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Playing in Japan? ;-)

Mate plenty don’t understand the Pocock deal and want to claim isssues where there are none. I’d add that I’m pleased he’s in Japan. Chance to play back into some kind of form before re-joining Aus rugby.
Let's hope he's in form considering he's getting paid 1.2 million next year, some of which is already in his account. Better be in f#!King form. Better not be injured.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Beale has stuff to answer for. Being one of the first chosen in the back line in the WBs in 2017 is not one of them.
He was one of the first chosen but has not been up to that sort of standard since before the Brisbane test. I am a supporter of Beale but if someone like DP shows that he is a better player at 12 then DP needs to play at 12. We've been trying since the 2015 World Cup to fit our 'best players' into the starting line up even if it is in positions that they're not best suited to. This hasn't proven to be a very successful method at producing consistent performances.Next year some tough decisions are going to have to be made, if the expected Brumbies backrow (Valetini, Pocock, Naisarani) plays to potential then we may well see Hooper, our first picked forward for the past few years, forced onto the bench. I expect the same to happen in the backline if we have guys performing then a player as good as Beale could be on the bench. Imagine a Wallabies team where Beale and Hooper couldn't make it into the starting XV, that is something to hope for in my view.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Or we could keep developing Kerevi at 12 and get a playmaking flyhalf. It really shits me that players are being pushed away from there best positions which is deterring their development due to the lack of skills from others.
You mean the guy playing 13 at Super Rugby level too.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Have any of the people annointing CLL as a solution to our problems at 10 been watching him for Ulster? He still looks like a 12/15 playing 10, which he always has. His kicking out of hand isn't any better than Foley's for the most part and he has the same distance issues. Although he's still a better defender even after coming back from beating cancer.

I think he's way more of a like-for-like backup for Foley than he is a solution to the shortcomings people have been talking about at 10 for the last few years. He's another run-first player that looks the best with ball in hand and doesn't look nearly as potent when he has to switch to a territory game (and also sometimes doesn't make the read that they need to switch to a territory game quickly enough).

On the bright side he will be a fantastic addition to the squad overall, I think. At least it will alleviate the stress of having nobody else in the squad with significant time at 10. He will be a perfect mentor for Duncan, who is basically a younger CLL.

It's so frustrating watching our 10's struggle with the territory side of the game and how much this gets exaggerated playing in poor conditions in NZ or up north. There's no question in my mind that our recent crop of 10's has been in an entirely different tier of athleticism than their NH counterparts - there's just no comparison to be made between guys like Foley/CLL/(pre-injuries)Cooper and Farrell/Sexton/Biggar in regards to the "eye test" and I'd back them to dominate any sort of NFL Combine style set of measurables too. My working theory is that this is a reflection of what wins you games in a hot climate with an often very dry track to play on, but we really need to work in some "negative" rugby at a younger age so these guys can get their brains wrapped around the concept early. They have the genetic advantage but seem to be let down by their training, experience, and ultimately the execution.