• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Whilst it doesn't bother me personally, I do agree that something needs to be done about his grandstand antics.

No you aren't alone JB, that was written by someone with similar views to you, however a large portion of it is simply anti-Waratah dribble. The giveaway is that he still obviously a believer of the tin foil hat theory that Cheika and the Waratahs orchestrated link's resignation.

Just out of interest, what would your proposed coaching line up be?

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Ok so major elements of strength/depth I think for us in the next couple of years are, first the back three:

Koroibete, Folau, Naiavalu, DHP, Hodge, Beale, Perese, Speight+others like Maddocks and Banks who are not far off. Folau and Koroibete are world class (in the space of one season I think Koroibete and Reiko Ioane have become the two best wingers in the world) while Sefa could be if he was able to play for a while without injury. Hodge and Beale add their own unique talents without necessarily having to be picked in the back 3.

Backrow:

Valetini, Pocock, Naisarani, Hooper, Dempsey, RHP, Timi, Tui. Brumbies backrow next year has huge potential, could easily become the Wallabies backrow and finally add the balance we've been searching for, for the past 3 years or so.

Front-row stocks generally look good. Hooker position maybe a bit underexperienced but Ready, Latu, Uelese, and Folau F all have Wallabies potential.

Long term issues seem to be 9-12 (Genia did a good job in the Rugby Championship but who is next after him?) 10 is well discussed issue and we have players who can play 12 DP, Beale, Lilo, Kerevi, but they are forced to adapt their game because of the poor options at 10. The other problem is who to partner Coleman, there's a lot of good players (Rodda, Arnold x2, Enever, Tui) but need a bit more time developing.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm excited by the prospect of Hooper/Pocock, Naisarani, Dempsey
I don't see why Hooper and Pocock don't just rotate between the 7 role. The season is stupid long as it is. Rotation between two class acts seems ideal.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I'm excited by the prospect of Hooper/Pocock, Naisarani, Dempsey
I don't see why Hooper and Pocock don't just rotate between the 7 role. The season is stupid long as it is. Rotation between two class acts seems ideal.
We might find ther skill sets are better against different teams and play them accordingly. Seems like a bit of luxury that we use when we get all the combinations sorted though.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
I think our best 23 going into the World Cup will be

1) Sio
2) Ulese
3) Kepu
4) Tui
5) Coleman
6) Dempsey
7) Pocock
8) Valentini/Naisarani/Timu
9) Genia
10) Foley
11) Koro
12) Beale
13) Kurindrani
14) Hodge
15) Folau

16) Tatafu
17) Slipper
18) AA
19) R. Arnold
20) Hooper
21) McMahon
22) Ruru
23) Hunt/DHP

Demsey to go off after 50, Tui to 6, Arnold to partner Coleman. Hooper and McMahon straight swap for Pocock and whoever 8 is watch them run riot on a tiring defence while still having 3 genuine lineout options in the two second rowers and Tui.

Ruru can't explain, just like his hustle and can't see a better option, perhaps Gordon if he progresses.

Then Hunt purely for utility value plus big game experience or DHP if he comes back to some sort of form that he had before.

That team with a decent game plan/defence mixes it with NZ and England

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Pretty woeful article though. instead of critically analyzing Cheika's actual flaws they just have a good old provincial whinge. The best part being where he blames the Waratahs for Link 'resigning'.
Yeah, seems to be a bit of a double standard regarding injuries in the NZ test. All of a sudden people keep writing off the win in Brisbane because a couple of players were out for NZ yet claim it would not have made a difference had we had Folau, Pocock, Dempsey, Coleman, Arnold/Rodda playing for us against England and Scotland. It's not to say that there aren't deeper structural issues within Australian Rugby but retrospectively playing down the Wallabies win in Brisbane (there weren't too many people talking about how NZ had injuries immediately after we won) seems to just be about fitting a narrative.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's also amusing how he bangs on about how Cheika is responsible for the team culture, but then turns around and blames the players for the culture under Link.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Old coals and lots of raking over them, but it's laughable how some (not all Cyclopath) Tahs supporters here are rewriting the events that led to Links' demise as Wallaby coach. Whether it was culture or whatever, Beale really stepped over the mark with his tweet about Di Patston and many of the then Tahs' contingent in the team rallied around him - some of whom apparently even retweeted the Beale message even further. The situation was regarded as so serious that the ARU was intent on sacking Beale on the spot, but bowed to pressure (from where?) to hold an inquiry. The inuendo then surfaced about an improper relationship between Link and Patston, for which I for one have never seen any supporting evidence. The outcome represented a compromise, on the face of it to appease the Beale supporters within the team. Link, as a man of honour, couldn't live with the outcome, and resigned. Cheika/Grey then came to the fore and a Tahs bias in selections commenced.

As someone said above, this was the genesis of our poor performances and questionable coaching involvements since. There is a now schism at least among the fans of the Wallabies which largely centres around the support or non-support for the Tahs in this country. Whether that schism also exists in the coaching and players levels, I don't know, but there is some evidence of favouritism in selections being present.

Until there is a wholesale clean out of the coaches and certain under-performing players in the Wallaby camp, there is little hope for our national team to reach the top of world rugby again.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Strange how Link, who played all his club rugby at Randwick, and also represented New South Wales, suddenly becomes an alien.

Tin foil hats should be part of the Bumblies supporters outfits. You guys have had huge chips on your shoulders about New South Wales in general, and the Waratahs in particular, since your assisted birth as a professional rugby franchise.

Don't you think it is time to move on?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Old coals and lots of raking over them, but it's laughable how some (not all Cyclopath) Tahs supporters here are rewriting the events that led to Links' demise as Wallaby coach. Whether it was culture or whatever, Beale really stepped over the mark with his tweet about Di Patston and many of the then Tahs' contingent in the team rallied around him - some of whom apparently even retweeted the Beale message even further. The situation was regarded as so serious that the ARU was intent on sacking Beale on the spot, but bowed to pressure (from where?) to hold an inquiry. The inuendo then surfaced about an improper relationship between Link and Patston, for which I for one have never seen any supporting evidence. The outcome represented a compromise, on the face of it to appease the Beale supporters within the team. Link, as a man of honour, couldn't live with the outcome, and resigned. Cheika/Grey then came to the fore and a Tahs bias in selections commenced.

As someone said above, this was the genesis of our poor performances and questionable coaching involvements since. There is a now schism at least among the fans of the Wallabies which largely centres around the support or non-support for the Tahs in this country. Whether that schism also exists in the coaching and players levels, I don't know, but there is some evidence of favouritism in selections being present.

Until there is a wholesale clean out of the coaches and certain under-performing players in the Wallaby camp, there is little hope for our national team to reach the top of world rugby again.

I assume the clean-out will be of any Tah affiliated players or staff eh? what a load.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Is Link/Di the new Quade/Hitler?
No, the dude who wrote the roar article made an inference to the waratahs conspiracy that led to links resignation, which several people picked up on then BR felt a need to rehash his entire version of the events back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member