• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ok, so in a match how often are players in the same position? All I have said is that the defensive alignments are fluid in phase play. There maybe general positioning, but most of the time it is fill a whole and trust the guys around you; and when you get a chance get back to your area. All while the attacking side is hunting those mismatches

The barn dance happens when they change between attack to defence. It's got little to do with phase play. Other than this there can be positional shifts as the D line shifts from one end of the field to the other. That wasn't fluid in Bled #1, but has been looking OK more recently. D within phase play against Scotland - "fluency" is not the way I see it. Nor did there seem to be good trust in the man beside each other either. It has been pointed out, that perhaps these issues against Scotland have nothing to do with the dance, but being a man down seemed to impact the D system. In my mind it was certainly not together during phase play against Scotland. Or at the turnover. But may well be nothing to do with the dance. I'd have to go back to earlier games to look for fluidity in defensive alignment in phase play. I do recognise improvement as a trend, it's just that those two last games change the season appraisal big time. The question remains whether or not that improvement justifies the performances.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
None are so bad as Cooper though whose defensive inabilities and propensity to give away yellow cards has basically prevented him from being selected at national level despite probably having the most natural talent out of all the guys you mentioned.

So, do you do the same to those Yellow Card Magnets, Hooper and Beale ?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The barn dance happens when they change between attack to defence. It's got little to do with phase play. Other than this there can be positional shifts as the D line shifts from one end of the field to the other. That wasn't fluid in Bled #1, but has been looking OK more recently. D within phase play against Scotland - "fluency" is not the way I see it. Nor did there seem to be good trust in the man beside each other either. It has been pointed out, that perhaps these issues against Scotland have nothing to do with the dance, but being a man down seemed to impact the D system. In my mind it was certainly not together during phase play against Scotland. Or at the turnover. But may well be nothing to do with the dance. I'd have to go back to earlier games to look for fluidity in defensive alignment in phase play. I do recognise improvement as a trend, it's just that those two last games change the season appraisal big time. The question remains whether or not that improvement justifies the performances.

Nah, it doesn't though. In transition you defend where you are standing. No one runs around like a mad chicken trying to get into some other position. If that actually happened it would like pretty comical.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Certainly not Hooper. Beale's intentional knock-downs are a cause for concern though.

Hooper is there to push the line in defense and so he does. Penalties come with the territory.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
All I was pointing out was that the yellow cards are a large part of the reason Cooper has been consistently not selected, you can make your own judgments on whether or not this is a poor criterion to select players on or whether it has been applied consistently across different players.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Ahh OK, transition from attack to defense is definitely an issue for most sides, our reactions have been getting better as fitness levels improved; and then they turned to shit in the NH To me it is a two step process, one makes less turnovers and two when they happen work your arse off to get in to position

T

TOCC

Ok, so in a match how often are players in the same position? All I have said is that the defensive alignments are fluid in phase play. There maybe general positioning, but most of the time it is fill a whole and trust the guys around you; and when you get a chance get back to your area. All while the attacking side is hunting those mismatches

There’s certainly a lot more structure to it then just fluidly filling a hole.. Defensive alignments from a set piece set the defensive pattern of not just the next phase, but 3 to 4 phases phases after that. After that it may become more fluid, but players will still have the primary defensive channel and will gravitate towards it where the play allows.

I’m not making a big thing about this, I just don’t agree with the sentiment that shifting players around defensively isn’t part of the Wallabies defensive issues.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Ahh OK, transition from attack to defense is definitely an issue for most sides, our reactions have been getting better as fitness levels improved; and then they turned to shit in the NH To me it is a two step process, one makes less turnovers and two when they happen work your arse off to get in to position

Yes I agree with that. It is also the design of the system - the infamous Bled #1 will always the prime case. The attack system and the D system required LOTS of change. Too much. Players found themselves out of position, and then confusion kicked in as they tried to get to where they needed to be. It was simplified hugely for immediate benefit. I suspect Cheika has been gradually adding in more of the original plan as familiarity kicks in. I don't mind the idea, just the implementation. I always supported Link in moving Quade, so I can't complain now as Foley and Beale (in particular) move to different roles. Fitness clearly helps, so does system intent.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
A seven who does not get penalised is a bit like a fly half who cannot kick.

Never had a problem with the 7 giving away the odd penalty, as long as the team gets overall value from him pushing the barrow. Yellows are a different matter. They can be the difference between winning and losing in that 14 men find it nearly impossible to defend an expansive attack (over a full 10 minute period)

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A seven who does not get penalised is a bit like a fly half who cannot kick.

But where do you draw the line. Hooper not only gets his fair share of penalties against him, but now leads the world in yellow cards at test level. He is no longer typical in his play, but the outlier example of what not to do.

Reactions: gel

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The only 10 who plays for a top 5/6 team who can actually defend effectively that i can think of is Farrell. And he's basically a 12 now anyway.
Jantjies, Sopoaga, Barrett, Ford, Sexton etc are all pretty small/shit at defending.

Cooper did stop an international 6 dead in his tracks..... although that 6 was Hanigan ;)

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Equating "penalties" with "yellow cards" is fucking stupid.
Other players get plenty of penalties but they don't have the number of yellows that Hooper has - so get your hands off it.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Well, willing to bet we haven't found a mother fucking 8 by then eh? they legit do not exist in Australia. So he'll walk straight into the Wallabies starting squad for the world cup probly.
Valetini will be better than him by the end of this year anyways. Timu doesn't look bad from the NRC, albeit a bit loose for my tastes, and if Leota can shift himself ahead of Timani and RHP he'll not be super far behind either.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Well, willing to bet we haven't found a mother fucking 8 by then eh? they legit do not exist in Australia. So he'll walk straight into the Wallabies starting squad for the world cup probly.

What about the missing $750K man. He'll be back so he is an automatic pick at 8. Of course he is the best 7 in world rugby but won't be chosen because of the "anointed one" So anyone who has a talent for 7 or 8 should over the next few years anyway, fuck off overseas because their chances of becoming a starter at 7 or 8 for Australia is non-existent. Or until Chek goes after RWC 2019 (if he goes)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Not sure if you intended the irony I interpret from that post regarding a fly half who can't kick?

Ironing? What ironing?

Show me a fly half who can kick, and I will show you a New Zealander, or a Pom, or a Seth Efrican, or just about anybody except a true blue Ocker.