• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
Genuine and question - do we actually have any evidence that either Tui or Phillip can play 6 at even super level.

To my knowledge/memory Tui hasn’t played there at all at either super or NRC level. Not so sure on Phillip. I have an idea he may have played some 6.

I am not personally convinced Tui would make a great 6 and would at least like to see at it super rugby level before any thought is given of playing him there in the test arena. I get that it is a position of weakness for us, but I think that some players regress when they are asked to fill roles they aren’t suited to. I reckon the bloke is an outstanding talent - just not sure picking him at 6 is the right move for either him or the test side.

Tui we won't likely ever see at 6 for the Reds they have too many quality back row options to do something crazy like that, but he did play 8 in League IIRC, for whatever that's worth.

Regarding Phillip for the Rebels I have little idea if he'd get at run there but I'd think not given Fianga isn't even starting.

I think if we play Pooper we will effectively be forced to go searching for something because it forces us to need that big ball carrying semi-lock at 6. I can't think of any other 6's that would genuinely fit the bill who are actually test ready.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Genuine and question - do we actually have any evidence that either Tui or Phillip can play 6 at even super level.

To my knowledge/memory Tui hasn’t played there at all at either super or NRC level. Not so sure on Phillip. I have an idea he may have played some 6.

Yep you're right, just speculation at this stage that they might be able to play well there and, as you say, we don't actually have a whole lot in the way of evidence that they either of them would make a good 6. I was more thinking back to when Vaea Fifita went on a rampage for the All Black against the Argentinians last year and was dreaming Tui could replicate that sort of performance.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I'd like to see a bit more of Dempsey before we lock him in for the Wallaby 6 jumper. He made a heap of metres in the final Bledislode thanks to his footwork into contact but I'd like to see how consistent he is with his carriers at test level. Tui and Phillip should be considered at 6 as well as it would mean we carry a 3rd high quality lineout option and those two are also abrasive runners who hit hard in defence (especially Tui when he gets his technique right).

OK UTGs, but wanting to see a bit more must mean he has to either start or come off the bench in order to show you what he has.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
All three of Hooper, Pocock and Dempsey are exceptional footballers. However, if we start the three of them against the Darkness, I fear that we will be outgunned in the tight. They can play any sort of game, and they are good at everything. We simply must have a lot of grunt upfront.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
OK UTGs, but wanting to see a bit more must mean he has to either start or come off the bench in order to show you what he has.
Should clarify if he comes back to Super firing then I’m happy to see him at 6. At the moment as good as it was we’re only really judging him based on that one test.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Is Taqele grabbing jersey 23 as the ultimate finisher becoming a reality?

It could be if you knew it was only for 20 minutes. The problem with having him on the bench is if there's an injury early on and he has to play 79 minutes. That said, he does look a lot fitter this year.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It could be if you knew it was only for 20 minutes. The problem with having him on the bench is if there's an injury early on and he has to play 79 minutes. That said, he does look a lot fitter this year.

He's improving the rest of his game but he's still not test level. He's the closest thing we have to a Naholo/Savea/Lam though, so hopefully he can keep pulling it together.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think we should see how he goes against some adults before we start handing him a Wobs jersey

Great in space, going forward with ball in hand. But what about the rest of the game?

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
I've got the filling with Higgers going down Timu is going to be assured of finding his way into the Wallabies Side.
It's normally you'd swap Timu for Smith (via the bench next week) but with Higgers likely looking at a few weeks out Timu is likely to be kept starting for the next month or so regardless. From there so long as he keeps his form he'll be a nice pick somewhere in the Wallabies back row even if we go Pooper or sans-Pooper.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I think we should see how he goes against some adults before we start handing him a Wobs jersey

He's touched up Speight and Naivalu, who aren't the worst wingers going around. This weekend will be a test as he has to defend against the live wire Daugunu who is the sort fast, agile winger that he is most likely to struggle with (that said Daugunu isn't great at defending against the bigger guys so expect fireworks if either get the ball in hand). Of course we'll know better how he's tracking when the Tahs come up against the Kiwi teams but there's always going to be lingering doubts no matter how well he plays.

Yep I reckon he's fit enough to play the full 80 this year, whether or not you can sustain a game plan for 80 minutes that covers up some of his struggles in defence is another matter.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you had Naiyaravoro in the 23 jersey, you'd hopefully have the 22 providing some flexibility in case the winger was injured in the first minute of the game and you needed one of your back reserves to play close to 80.

A few of the 22 options are likely to be pretty versatile (I think that could easily be Reece Hodge this season).

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
If you had Naiyaravoro in the 23 jersey, you'd hopefully have the 22 providing some flexibility in case the winger was injured in the first minute of the game and you needed one of your back reserves to play close to 80.

A few of the 22 options are likely to be pretty versatile (I think that could easily be Reece Hodge this season).

Hodge is way out of form though. It's also really questionable as to whether Hodge can reliably cover any position other than wing at test level. Maybe 12, but he'd be a poor substitute for either of Beale or Kerevi.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hodge is way out of form though. It's also really questionable as to whether Hodge can reliably cover any position other than wing at test level. Maybe 12, but he'd be a poor substitute for either of Beale or Kerevi.

If you had Taqele in the 23 jersey I think you need someone like Hodge in the 22 jersey. Kerevi/Kuridrani in the 22 jersey would leave you pretty limited in terms of your coverage.

I agree that Hodge's form has been an issue.

He's been a Wallaby for a couple of seasons though and has performed well. Like Kuridrani he still has a fair bit of time to turn that around.