• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

The Wallabies Thread

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hanigan is decent in the line out but lacks the running game. To be honest Hooper has a phenomenal running game and Pococks is much improved.
Who else is there to balance the Pooper? Hope Timu gets a run at some point against Ireland in a more traditional back row.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeah I’m going to go with we should get a balanced back row by just not playing the pooper.
Sometimes the simple and obvious option is worth exploring.
I agree but who do we play at 6 or 8..We are missing McMahon and Dempsey...Really who do we pick in our best backrow..In the end if you bench one of Hooper or Pocock you better have something a damn bit better..Id say Narsrani probably has the goods..McMahon would have put the pressure on..but really the cupboards bare

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I agree but who do we play at 6 or 8..We are missing McMahon and Dempsey.Really who do we pick in our best backrow..In the end if you bench one of Hooper or Pocock you better have something a damn bit better..Id say Narsrani probably has the goods..McMahon would have put the pressure on..but really the cupboards bare

I’d pick timu at 8, he may be relatively new but it’s not like he’s a boy. We need some go forward from that spot. Not only against the Irish but in general and with the pooper we have none at international level.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
If you had Timu at 6, Cheika can pick his favourite son Simmons or rodda as either the starter with coleman, or the bench to shore up the set piece to compensate for backrow abilities in the air both at the start and towards the end . If you start hanigan at 6, your 2nd lock would have to be angry arnold with timu off the bench.

4. Coleman 5. Arnold
6. Hanigan 8. Poey 7. Hoops

19. Simmons/Rodda 20. Timu

4. Coleman 5. Simmons/Rodda
6. Timu 8. Poey 7. Hoops

19. Arnold/Rodda 20. Hanigan

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I’d pick timu at 8, he may be relatively new but it’s not like he’s a boy. We need some go forward from that spot. Not only against the Irish but in general and with the pooper we have none at international level.
But no way is Timu tackle hit rucks or defend as good as Pocock..He doesn't run or have the energy of Hooper..Not like Timu is better or much better in a lineout

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
Yes their aren’t many options.
I can just see a Hanigan-hooper-pocock back row coming and it’s like the slow motion car accident. It’s not going to be pretty.

Timu-pocock-higgers could work well. But higgers is out of favour. Tui/philip/whoever mans up as the lock/6 hybrid between now and then at 6, pocock, timu could work.

Fardy would be useful about now.

It is literally like trying to pick a back row with one hand tied behind your back. I understand the arguments for pooper I just disagree. I don’t think it works and believe it handicaps a pack that will need all the help it an get.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Honestly would not be surprised if Cheika just goes for:

1. Sio
2. Taf
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Simmons
6. Hanigan
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Beale
13. TK
14. Hodge
15. Folau

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I can see that side as well for the first test, and probably as the core of all the test sides. Personally, I'd have Ala'alatoa as the starting THP, Arnold or Rodda in place of Simmons, Pocock at 7 and Timu at 8, Folau at 11 and DHP at fullback. Hanigan would only survive until someone else steps up, eg Dempsey, Philip, Tui, Valetini etc.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Larkham has said they won't avoid debutantes for the first test but I think it is highly unlikely we will see much change in the team given there is only a week between Super Rugby and the first test.

It's going to make Australia's preparation very difficult so I expect we will opt with as stable a lineup as possible.

My 23 currently:

1. Sio
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Rodda
6. Hanigan
7. Hooper
8. Pocock
9. Genia
10. Foley
11. Koroibete
12. Beale
13. Kuridrani
14. DHP
15. Folau

16. BPA 17. Slipper 18. Tupou 19. Simmons 20. Timu 21. Gordon 22. Hodge 23. Naiyaravoro

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I can see that side as well for the first test, and probably as the core of all the test sides. Personally, I'd have Ala'alatoa as the starting THP, Arnold or Rodda in place of Simmons, Pocock at 7 and Timu at 8, Folau at 11 and DHP at fullback. Hanigan would only survive until someone else steps up, eg Dempsey, Philip, Tui, Valetini etc.
Alternatively he himself could step up

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Assuming Nathan Charles gets a few runs for the Rebs under his belt pre-June might he come into Wobs contention or has TGC moved on?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Assuming Nathan Charles gets a few runs for the Rebs under his belt pre-June might he come into Wobs contention or has TGC moved on?

I don't think he is likely to figure. I don't think his playing form is anywhere close to what it was in 2014 when he played his tests.

I'd be really surprised if he gets in the frame.

Top Bottom